Any recent Alaska menus/Zaandam question

I was wondering if anybody had any recent Alaska dinner menus? I wasn't sure if they were the same as the other locations that HAL cruises. I thought I heard somewhere that they have a different menu with much more fish, mainly salmon, dishes. Poked around on cruiseclues a little but didn't really find any. Thanks for the help in advance. Also does anyone know if or when the Zaandam has been in drydock? My parents are booked on the 8/22/07 Alaska cruise and was wondering if the ship will be showing it's age at 7 years old, or if it has been recently spick-n-spanned.

Hi

We were on the 6/2-6/9 sailing in Cat.A, and felt the Z was in tip top shape. She is beautifully kept up and IMO, certainly does not show her age. I think your parents will be more than pleased with this ship and it's crew.

The food was as good --maybe better--than any we've had in our 15 HA cruises. Sorry I don't have any specific menus, but there was great variety with salmon offered almost every night, along with many other choices. The Chef's Dinner we thought to be very special---tell your parents not to miss it.

They will enjoy the Zaandam.

Janet

I was just on the Zaandam 6/9 cruise and she is a beautiful ship in every way - the only sign of wear I noticed was on the sofa in the cabin - it shows signs of being used - the edges of the armrests were a little dirty. Every thing else was perfect - their were people around all day painting the rails where they needed it, they revarnished a copule of benches on the desk, they were forever adjusting or fixing things but never in an overt or obvious way. One day they asked us to stay out of the cabin for a few hours as they came around cleaning the carpets - I happened to be there when the guy with a tank on his back came in spraying something and when I returned awhile later the carpet had been vacuumed or shampooed - there was a little dampness and a slighyt damp smell that soon faded and the carpet looked great. There was a small dent in the toilet seat as if someone dropped something on it. I saw people cleaning and dusting and vacuuming all the time and I kept running into the same girl in the public bathrooms as she changed the hand towels - we laughed about that. But again, never in a real obtrusive way. She is a beautiful ship - sparkles and gleams all over and looking very majestic when in port.

whoops - menus - there was always a salmon dinner offered in at least two ways - other than that there was not alot of fish. There was a wonderful shrimp cocktail one evening and an interesting appetizer with crab that was good. There was venison, lamb chops, pot roast one night and a full turkey dinner on another. The variety was amazing and there was always something that attracted me. Beef Wellington one night, filet mignon another - the surf and turf was wonderful. I am sorry I do not remember it all - the soups were great. Most of all I loved the service and the ambience of the dining room and of course, the scenery!!! Enjoy

I was just on the Zaandam 6/9 cruise and she is a beautiful ship in every way - the only sign of wear I noticed was on the sofa in the cabin - it shows signs of being used - the edges of the armrests were a little dirty. Every thing else was perfect - their were people around all day painting the rails where they needed it, they revarnished a copule of benches on the desk, they were forever adjusting or fixing things but never in an overt or obvious way. One day they asked us to stay out of the cabin for a few hours as they came around cleaning the carpets - I happened to be there when the guy with a tank on his back came in spraying something and when I returned awhile later the carpet had been vacuumed or shampooed - there was a little dampness and a slighyt damp smell that soon faded and the carpet looked great. There was a small dent in the toilet seat as if someone dropped something on it. I saw people cleaning and dusting and vacuuming all the time and I kept running into the same girl in the public bathrooms as she changed the hand towels - we laughed about that. But again, never in a real obtrusive way. She is a beautiful ship - sparkles and gleams all over and looking very majestic when in port.

Did you have a refridgerator in your cabin?

We are sailing 9/15 on Zaandam and have a guar cabin.

We have had room refridgerators on all of our past cruises except, RCCL.

Thanks so much!

Teri

Somebody said the Zaandam is serving Beef Wellington. Just the mere mention of it makes my mouth water. We had it one night on the Statendam on the Hawaiian Cruise last November. I am glad it is offered on the Zaandam on the Alaskan cruises this summer.

Wild Thing---about those fridges......

On the Vista class ships every cabin has a fridge. As noted about on the Zaandam, and on all the R- and S-class ships, the only cabins with a fridge are the PH, S, and veranda cabins.

However---

You can request that a fridge be placed in your cabin for a small charge. Last I knew it was $2.00 per day. If you want one have your TA put in the request ASAP as there are first-come/first-served.

We were on the 6/2-9 cruise and the Zaandam has had the Signature of Excellence upgrades so the beds are great, the flat screen TV is nice and it is in pretty good shape. The public rooms are very nice. I don't think it is scheduled for another dry dock anytime soon.

There was a different Salmon dish in the dining room every night and usually another fish offering as well as a vegetarian dish. On the formal night on Wednesday that is when the "surf and turf" is offered as is the "Parade of the Baked Alaska". Baked Alaska is offered every night but there is only one night that they do the parade. If you aren't sure about the preparation of a meal as listed in the menu, just ask your waiter. I always asked the waiter what he recommended for the entree as well as dessert and he was never wrong.

On the Vista class ships every cabin has a fridge. As noted about on the Zaandam, and on all the R- and S-class ships, the only cabins with a fridge are the PH, S, and veranda cabins.

However---

You can request that a fridge be placed in your cabin for a small charge. Last I knew it was $2.00 per day. If you want one have your TA put in the request ASAP as there are first-come/first-served.

Thank you so muck for the info!

2.00 a day will work!

Looking foreward to Zaandam in Sept.

However---

Ruth,

in January, in a verandah cabin on the Zaandam, I will need a fridge (not a minibar) to keep medication at a stable temperature. When you mention the $2, does that refer to such a fridge?

It would be much easier for me to have the medication in the room. I had planned to ask if it could be kept in the infirmary, but obviously, having it in my room would be more convenient.

Thanks for your reply.

Pincus

Archived