What I Learned On Cruise Critic

basketsuze

I know I started this thread almost four years ago, but I would like to thank the CC member, and I do not remember his name, who suggested never breaking $5 bills, but instead, putting them away and saving toward a cruise. It is unbelievable how quickly the savings accumulates doing this. I keep an envelope in my purse, and as soon as it hits $100, I transfer it to our safe. Last year I had saved closed to $900 with this method! I have two other friends who now do the same to save toward their vacations.

So, thanks! Whomever you are, it was a GREAT tip! I actually go out of my way to break a $20 bill for a small purchase, just to get those $5's for our cruise!

Suze!

I know I started this thread almost four years ago, but I would like to thank the CC member, and I do not remember his name, who suggested never breaking $5 bills, but instead, putting them away and saving toward a cruise. It is unbelievable how quickly the savings accumulates doing this. I keep an envelope in my purse, and as soon as it hits $100, I transfer it to our safe. Last year I had saved closed to $900 with this method! I have two other friends who now do the same to save toward their vacations.

So, thanks! Whomever you are, it was a GREAT tip! I actually go out of my way to break a $20 bill for a small purchase, just to get those $5's for our cruise!

Suze!

Nice thread- yes, I noticed it was started 4 yrs ago and glad it's been revised-

I have to grin & nod my head at the $5 bills concept- OH! nothing wrong with that - good advice - I was doing it but in the 80's and early 90's when we started cruising, we saved...

$1 bills...... inflation! and Yes, we do save 5's now--

Whenever I have questions re: a cruise, a destination, I turn to CC - I always get answers from those who have experience.

Corkey

• 1 month later...

Ive learned so much while planning my first two cruises and another cruise as a solo traveler. Ive learned about the tips on saving money. Ive learned tips about what to pack. Im a natural planner and a backpacker and an extremly light packer. I love this site as its great to get information from all sorts of helpful folks who share information and trade stories. One of my favorite tips ive learned here is to take preplanned tip envelopes for every day of the cruise and then put in 1-2.00 each day and tip heavy the first day. I also like the idea of a 3-ring binder and was already thinking of that. Im doing two cruises back to back. So I will just take one three ring binder and divide it in to two sections. I scrapbook so I will want to save everything from reciepts to information and anything I get on the cruise in order to scrapbook it later.

Thanks everyone,

Adri :)

• 7 months later...

i havent cruised yet but ive learned that ive wasted years not traveling with like minded people, that i wont be alone, that people will share wonderful stories and a part of their heart to anyone that is real.

that im a planaholic that im not the only one making a book, that i read religiously

that im going to have the time of my life, make rituals, have fun, explore and learn and build memories for life even just about this site

• 3 weeks later...

I learned you can have your SeaPass card, hole punched at the Purser's Desk for lanyard use.

On Carnival Cruises, free lanyards can be found at slot machines on embarkation day.

Tender tickets are available at the Purser's Desk.

The recommended $$$ for tips for the butler in suites.

Cruises can enjoy lunch in the MDR instead of the busy Windjammer.

RCI charges a fee for overnight room service.

• 4 weeks later...
I had started composing a response to the "get a life" post that's apparently been removed, but I thought it would be nice for others to see it and also chime in with some other thoughts. So, here's what I've learned by being a member:

1) Take an inexpensive plastic over-the-door shoe hanger to put toiletries in since there isn't much room in the bathroom;

2) Take a bungee cord for the balcony in case it's one of those doors that swing shut automatically. That way if you want to leave the door open you can;

3) Be considerate of non-smokers even if you're outside in the smoking area. Yes, I'm a smoker, so some might say I'm the dumbest person alive.

4) Make up your own mind about the food and amenities.

5) Which shore excursions are great in Cozumel and Costa Maya and which are so-so.

6) Arrive earlier than your cruise documents say since they'll most likely allow you to board as early as 11:30 a.m., rather than the 2 p.m. the documents say to arrive. (This one is a BIGGIE to know!)

7) Don't sweat doing the mad rush to the Windjammer when you board.

8) Don't miss "Love and Marriage" and Quest. Some of these activities are not for children. We don't have any, but all our friends have kids so this was a good tip to pass over to them, should they decide to come along with us!

9) Your cruise is what you make of it, so go with the flow.

#9 Says it all!

Anything else you may learn can make your cruise better, but that's the only tip (If you follow it religiously) that will make it great!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I learned it would take an additional piece of luggage to carry all the suggested "must have" items. We've cut down on many of the items and found many helpful suggestions we have continued to use of the years:

Zip-locks

small power strip

OTC meds

flash drive with copy of passport, id

8-1/2 x 11 piece of paper on top of clothes in each suitcase with complete itinerary and emergency numbers.

I found all these on CC. Pretty much everything else gets left behind.

• 1 month later...

Things I have learned:

Door Art and how to keep it on the door.

Power strips even more important today even in a Suite.

Tips on Shore excursions at the various ports.

Some cruises are worth doing the same one again because it was a really grand trip.

I already knew about DOD at the Lido Bar and testing the bed right after arriving in our Suite.

Things I have learned:

Door Art and how to keep it on the door.

Power strips even more important today even in a Suite.

Tips on Shore excursions at the various ports.

Some cruises are worth doing the same one again because it was a really grand trip.

I already knew about DOD at the Lido Bar and testing the bed right after arriving in our Suite.

...and yet my power strip is still in its original packaging - never even opened it! (sell it to you, cheap... :D) We had plenty of outlets on the vanity in our bedroom of our suite. :)

• 2 months later...
1. I am not alone in my cruising addiction

2. You can meet some really nice folks before you.

3. My (over)packing obsession is not unique-some have tried unsuccessfully to reform me-I am still working on it

4. The best shore excursions and one day all inclusives with input from folks who did it and were not trying to sell it

5. A like-minded community is a source of encouragement and inspiration to propel you to new heights of whatever it is you are trying to do

6. I can sign up for MTD (My Time Dining) and NOT pick a time to dine each day. I can just show up!

Over the years I have learned that the vast majority of those on cruise critic are both friendly and helpful. in some cases we know that the cruise will be a success before we cruise.

A few years ago we were going on our 'last cruise', however we made so many arrangements, and friends, [up to five PAGES a day on CC's] that we are still cruising.

On the down side a very small percentage of those posting appear to want to start trouble, and I get very very short with them, in fact some of my posts have been removed, and I feel that I have been instrumental in having some threads closed.

Overall I have learned a great deal on these boards.

john

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'll see what I can add!

1) Pack a highlighter to mark things in the daily activities flyer that you wish to do

2) Take extra hangers from home because they are slimmer than the ship hangers.

3) Buy a spray bottle of Wrinkle Releaser. This stuff is awesome!

4) Don't be afraid to just do nothing. If that's what you enjoy doing, you aren't missing anything that you could be doing!

5) Choose one port to stay on the ship. It's great to have the place almost to yourselves when everyone else gets off! It's the best time to enjoy the pool, hot tub, etc.

I've learned:

That Celebrity greets you at embarkation with a glass of champagne (or orange juice or mimosa)

That planning for a trip to Alaska can lead to a planning meltdown!

That the itinerary and port times are most important for Alaska and the ship is secondary.

That putting port times in an excel spreadsheet or on a calendar helps minimize the planning meltdown from above!

That having a "bible" (aka 3 ring binder) with all excursion information readily at hand is a life saver (especially when you need to find out if your excursion is going to be cancelled in Curacao due to unbelievable heavy rain for an island that only gets 3" a year but seemed to be getting it all on the one day you were there!)

That you really can do excursions on your own and you can plan your own "cruisetour" in Alaska.

That CC members are the most friendly and outgoing people I've ever met. And the Roll Calls and Meet-n-Mingles or Celebrity Connections are a great way to meet fellow CCers.

I'm not new to cruising, but for some reason it wasn't until after I read a post here at CC that I decided to look for the military discount ! My hubby is a disabled vet and I assumed that any discount would be for active duty members only. I was wrong ! What a huge gift to see that we could get a discount on our cruise. Thankyou CC folks ! We'll be using this benefit for the first time this March and it will save us over $400.

Thanks for reviving this post.

---I've learned that the wait time til your cruise goes much easier when you get involved in a roll call.

---I've learned that a cruise is even more fun after getting to know a few folks on a roll call.

----A cruise is definitely what you make of it, go w/ the flow, have a great time.

----It's easy to do/plan excursions on your own w/ the use of CC boards.

----It's true, once you go balcony, you can't easily go back to inside cabin.

----It's amazing how many like minded people you can find on a cruise.

---I've learned so much from this messege board there are too many things to list.

Archived