Living In Halifax....

Thank you, Rick. We wish you a Happy Holiday, as well.

And, as we do every year, we go to downtown Boston to visit the Christmas tree so kindly sent to us from the people of Nova Scotia. As always, it is quite beautiful, and I thank our Canadian neighbors for your continued generosity.

Hi, Rick. You are so gracious to spend time helping to insure our enjoyment of your beautiful city. We prefer to hire a local tour company or driver to take us to the areas where the locals go. We don't really want to drive ourselves... there will be 8-12 adults traveling together on our cruise of New England/Canada. Any suggestions?

I just found this thread and it is terrific. Thanks, Rick, for taking the time to answer everyone's questions. I'll be visiting Halifax for the second time this summer. Last time, I had three kids with me and we took the hop on hop off bus. It was a great way to get around with the kids. We went to the Citadel, which was wonderful and my boys truly enjoyed. We also went to the natural history museum and the kids liked that as well. We let my youngest, who was 2 at the time, run around the gardens and burn off some steam. I really loved your city and am so happy to be returning. This time, it will be just my husband and myself. I'm looking at ideas of what to do. DH would like to hit some of the pubs and try some wonderful brews. I'd like to see more of the waterfront and maybe do the harbour hopper. We'll be there from 9 until 6 so I thought we might do the sightseeing in the morning, grab lunch and check out some beer. What are your suggestions for some breweries or pubs to not miss? Thanks so much for your help.

Thank you for your comments, I really enjoy helping people visiting our city.

The thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=417655

has a very good pub selection. There are so many pubs and bars in the city, you could never see them all in one day (yes it has been tried, and no one remembers if they saw them all,)

The habour hopper in the morning, lunch on the waterfront, then alittle taste of the local pubs, sounds like a good day to me.

Have fun in our city.

Rick1965

My favorite lobster feast? Alas I am not a lobster lover, steak is my love.

But I have been told the lobster on the waterfront is very good.

There are a few places just outside the city along the coast which are very good aswell. If you check the Canada board there should be some more info on good lobster in and around Halifax.

This link my help as well

http://www.halifaxinfo.com/

Hope you enjoy your stay.

Rick1965

I not familiar with Bruce tours, so I can't comment on them. Site and prices look good, and I can't find any negative comments regarding them locally.

As for fred, here's a link..

http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/fred.html

I would suggest contacting Metro Transit as the start time may be different this year.

Hope you enjoy your stay in our city.

Rick1965

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd put my two cents in with a list:

Popular tourist activities:

-Boardwalk and historic properties on the harbour

-Theodore Tugboat rides

-Tall Ship rides

-Harbour Hopper tours (amphibious vehicle tour around the city and the harbour. Ribbit RIBBIT!)

-The CHEAP harbour tour (take the transit ferry to Dartmouth and back, about $2 each way. Mind you, no one tells you about the city or harbour.)

-Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (also on the harbour)

-Citadel Hill

-Point Pleasant Park

-Halifax Public Gardens (a Victorian garden)

-Shopping on Spring Garden Road and Barrington St. (don't miss candy at the Freak Lunchbox)

-Grey Line bus tours (tour around a larger area of the city and drop you off at various shopping areas)

-There are two small malls downtown - Park Lane and Scotia Square. One is on Barrington St. and one is on Spring Garden Road

-Saint Mary's Basilica and the old burial ground (across the street, where many bodies from the Halifax explosion are buried.)

-FRED (Free Rides Everywhere Downtown) will do what his name says, and comes by every half hour in the summer, but I've never been able to figure out the schedule.

-Peggy's Cove, NS (although you have to take a ferry or bus to get there and it will take up most/all of your day)

Places to eat:

-Fireside Cafe (full restaurant and bar, with martinis and desserts, and an armchair and fireplace decor. Lovely ambience. I highly recommend the Chocolate Concoction for dessert. Warm chocolate cake and syrup, cool vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. YUM!!!)

-Bud the Spud (a fry cart, either on Spring Garden or on the harbour, a Halifax tradition)

-Too many others to list here

Halifax has the most bars and pubs per capita of all of Canada, and many are in walking distance downtown.

If you come in early August, the Halifax Busker Festival may be on on the waterfront. Fun!

BRING CANADIAN $$$$ (or a credit card)! Canada is not a part of the US. We have our own currency, and do not stock American money. (You don't keep Francs in all your cash registers for French tourists, do you?) Most retailers will take your money, but you won't get as good an exchange rate and will receive change in Canadian dollars anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
Rick

That sounds like a wonderful day. I only wish we were there from sun up to sun down. We have reserved a car and are driving to Peggy's Cove ourselves. Then we're gonna head back and hit the Maritime Museum and the Public Gardens. We are gonna try and eat lunch too. Did I see you post something about Billy's? I can't remember if it's in Halifax or in St. John.

Anyway, thanks for your help. We'll let you know how it goes. Leaving on Sunday and we'll be there on Wednesday.

Carrie

That sounds like an extremely full day. Not sure how much time you want to spend at the museum, but I'm sure if you really want to you'll manage. Guess this was a while back. Oops. If this person is still around, how did it turn out?

It's about 50-60 minutes from the cruise dock to Peggys cove, if you use google map for directions, your beginning point is "Marginal Rd Halifax Nova Scotia" and your end point is "Peggys Cove Nova Scotia". Google map gives very good directions.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=

hope this helps.

Rick1965

• 2 weeks later...
Rick,I too am interested in hearing your opinion on whale watching in Halifax. We are coming the first week in October and I booked the Princess whale watch excursion. We have also booked a whale watch in Bar Harbor for this cruise. We did the whale watch in Alaska in Juneau and had a fabulous time.
Just wanted to pop in and put my $.02 worth in here. A few years ago we did a whale watching tour out of Bar Harbor. One of the best times we have had whale watching (although Juneau is fantastic!). We came across a female and her teenager and they put on quite a show for us. They were still carrying on when we had to leave. The mother actually swam right under our boat once! It was an exciting day!

When we got back we had lunch. When we started to go to the tenders we couldn't even see our ship. The fog had come in and even the driver of our tender got lost! He radioed the ship and they started blowing the ship's horn so he could find it that way! Quite an adventure. I had never seen fog like that!

Vada

I have been reading some magazines sent by the toursit sites in Halifax and see Fishermans Cove listed. Is it closer or any easier to get to than Peggy's Cove? Is there public transportation to either one? If one chose not to spend the time to get out there is it a port breaker. Will I have missed the best visitor site. I actually like near SF on the West coast, would it be better than any other coastal site? Carole

BTW, all your info is so helpful.

So if I am in port from 9 - 6 I will have plenty of time to drive there. Can you suggest a small town instead that might no be so busy?

That is more than enough time to get to Peggy's Cove. I would allow an hour to get there and another hour to get back to Halifax. The drive there is very easy - there are plenty of road signs that will show you the way. Also, you can stop and ask any local and they would be able to point you there as well.

There are two routes you can take to get to Peggy's Cove. You can take a scenic route which will go through Prospect and take you along the shoreline. You can also take Highway 103 to Exit 5 (Tantallon). Anytime I go, I always take the highway. If you are renting a car just ask for a map and have them mark your route for you.

I have never found Peggy's Cove to be busy.

My .02 regarding Peggy's Cove. It is a beautiful setting but don't look for cozy! The day we were there it was very windy. There is a post office inside the lighthouse, and just about impossible to get a photo without plenty of visitors in the picture. It was so cold and windy that we took a few shots and headed for the nearby restaurant and gift shop combo! It is almost all rocks and dirt, with a few tiny homes nearby. No trees that I can remember. Too windy.

There was an artist out there, braving the cold and I purchased a lovely watercolor from him. I still love it. His name was Neil Depew and an extremely friendly and nice fellow. Just looked at the picture and it's dated 2000.

Another neat thing was the young lady playing the bagpipes outside the lighthouse. Talk about ambience!

I wouldn't go out there again, but whenever I see a picture of Peggy's Cove I smile inside. Glad I went!

Vada

• 1 month later...

Still lurking in the shadows(wondering if summer will ever get here), ..............

Hi everyone just thought I'd drop a quick note,

if you have a question that hasn't been answered please feel free to ask away.I will do my best to find you an answer.

Rick

Sorry, but I didn't feel like reading 10 pages of info so I'll just ask my question:

Our ship is scheduled to be in Halifax on July 4th and I was wondering what would be a good thing to do with a 10 year old and a 14 year old that isn't too expensive and within walking distance to the pier to get to? Would like to see the area but are trying to stay within a budget of some sort. THANKS

There's quite a bit too see right on the boardwalk. There is the Harbour Hopper or Theodore tug boat, both reasonably priced. Here are a couple links to check out....

http://www.murphysonthewater.com/theodoretugboat/index.php

http://www.murphysonthewater.com/harbourhopper/index.php

You could take the ferry across to Dartmouth and back again(cheap harbour tour)It might be kind of fun for the kids.

http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/ferries.html

Here's a link with some more infomation which may be useful....

http://www.where.ca/halifax/

There is also the Maritime museum of the Atlantic,

http://museum.gov.ns.ca/mma/index.html

The discovery centre, great for the kids and within walking distance of the dock.

http://www.discoverycentre.ns.ca/

Hope you have a great time in our city, let me know if you have any more questions.(Sorry for the information overload)

Rick

In addition to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, I'd also recommend the Pier 21 museum, located just a few steps from the gangway. This is the site where more than a million immigrants passed through between 1928 and 1971. A highlight for our then-12-year-old son (and us!) was buying a passport at the ticket counter (less than a dollar) and having it stamped at several places along the way in the museum. Admission to the museum is $21 for a family, according to their Web site. The multimedia show alone is worth it, IMO.

http://www.pier21.ca/

Archived