Doing Alaska/Panama Canal w/o a balcony

Dena

Many people must have done an Alaska or Panama Canal cruise without a balcony, either for budget reasons or because the balconies were sold out. I know this isn't the ideal way to see these regions, but how bad is it. Is it reasonably easy to find a comfortable place to sit and view the scenery, or is one standing in a crowd at the rail of the promenade deck?

We've not done Alaska but have done the Panama Canal. We had a balcony but quite honestly that's not the best place to experience a transit of the locks. It might be OK if you've done it a couple of times and you want to get a different view but to really take it all in it's better to be up on one of the higher decks. It was recommended to us that we go aft and stake out a table for the early morning transit. It was great. We were able to take our cameras and lay out our gear on the table. Also allowed us to get breakfast and bring it out to the table. Considering we were up and out on deck by 5:30 AM coffee was a big issue. If you go forward folks wind up standing 3 deep trying to get a view and there's really no place to sit down.....and no service for coffee or breakfast. Once you've gone through the locks then watching the rest of the transit from your balcony is OK but it can get kind of sticky warm....even hot.

We had no problem getting good views from topside while entering the locks. I then went back to the cabin and got some "up close and personal" shots from our verandah, then went back outside and took some more from the Sports Deck. People were shooting pictures then moving on, so I didn't find it hard to get a spot at the rail.

We did an Alaska cruise last September on the Volendam in an ocean view room. Though a balcony cabin would had been more desirable, we couldn’t justify doubling the cost of the cruise. It worked out just fine for us. The weather was just perfect that week and we ending up lounging around the upper decks (or less know aft patio areas) and had views of a life time:D .

John

We had an inside room for our cruise through the Panama Canal.

The best views were actually from different levels/places at different times. We started on the sky deck, then went to the side of the sports deck, then went out on the bow, then up to the verandah deck.

I don't think you'd see much if you stayed on your balcony.

We found the public areas fine for viewing the locks and hearing the docent. I am not sure that we could have heard him in our cabin. Also, had the unusual experience of having an American submarine come through the lock next to us. The docent said that in all his years of going through the Canal it was the first time he had seen one.

We found the veranda in Alaska to be worth every extra penny. The scenery is breathtaking and if you are lucky, the Aurora Borelis. We were to realize that it was not visible from the Promenade deck because of all the lights. Either way, have a wonderful cruise.

I'm about to take my fourth Alaska cruise, and did a Vancouver-Ft. Lauderdale through the Canal. All but the first cruise were in inside cabins; the first was an outside. I don't feel I missed anything by not having a balcony.

On the first Alaska cruise I was putting in full 8-hour "work" days holding court on deck. It was much better getting a fuller view than a balcony would have provided.

I agree that it's nice to be able to change locales during the day---shifting to a different deck, or direction to get a different view.

One of the very nice things about a HAL ship, too, is that there are lots of places inside that afford great views of the world passing by.

The best place from which to see the Panama Canal is definitely not from a cabin because there is much to see on both sides. When I did it a few years ago on Maasdam they put up sunshades all around the forward deck so you could be outside in reasonable comfort. The best place from which to view everything while stying cool and hearing the commentary, is the Crow's Nest, but get there early for a window seat. Also, due to the length of the transit, people start to lose interest after a few hours, so by the time you get to the locks at the opposite end there should be plenty of space both inside and on deck.

Bob

Many people must have done an Alaska or Panama Canal cruise without a balcony, either for budget reasons or because the balconies were sold out. I know this isn't the ideal way to see these regions, but how bad is it. Is it reasonably easy to find a comfortable place to sit and view the scenery, or is one standing in a crowd at the rail of the promenade deck?

I've never done Alaska ... but I have done Panama Canal in an inside cabin. What's the problem? As long as HAL has public decks onboard their ships, you can see everything that others on their balconies see.

There is plenty of room out of doors on HAL's ships. You can always find your own secluded nooks and cranies to enjoy the views. Frankly, my favorite place for viewing the Panama Canal was from a comfortable padded chair up in the Crow's Nest ... in front of those big wrap-around windows. It can be very hot going through the Panama Canal, and personally I'd prefer to enjoy the view from my air conditioned perch, with a glass of something cold and refreshing in my hand.

Even though it just so happens on my upcoming cruise in October that I will have a balcony, I probably will sit up in the Crow's Nest again for the transit and enjoy it in those much more comfortable surroundings.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I did Alaska last year in an inside cabin - quite frankly, I was hardly ever in my cabin except to change and sleep, so it didn't bother me in the least. There's so many public rooms and outer deck spaces on ships now that there's always a place to relax and enjoy the scenery.

Now, we have a balcony cabin booked for our upcoming Alaska cruise, so I'll probably spend a little more time in the cabin just to enjoy the balcony :D

Like many die-heart insiders, I was up early and staked claim to "my space". This included my trusty thermos, for my coffee, so I did not have to run back and forth. Fortunately, my husband eventually awakened to relieve me of my post, cause by then, it was time to run back and forth.

One of the more surprising things about the canal is all the flies.

My daughter and I swam in Gatun Lake on Easter Sunday which was wonderful, given the heat and humidity and all the flies were on board so we were just fine.

We had a suite in Alaska cause it was a good deal. All the real action was on deck, and we barely used it. The extra space was however, welcome cause sometimes it's three of us.

Lynn

On almost any cruise a balcony is nice to have! - much depends on the itinerary. We've tried it!

It's true, you can relax and enjoy breakfast, maybe even lunch and dinner as the ocean goes by....but sitting out before bedtime is very 'iffy' ......there's nothing to see!

A veranda/balcony is not the 'be all and end all' -it's frequently too hot to sit out; everything 'interesting' is on the other side; next door people are loud and smoke cigars.

Unless you're in the 'suite' category with all the 'considered important' perks, we personally feel that an outside cabin on the the 'walk around deck' is preferable......JMHO :)

My DH and I have done Alaska four times and are planning a b2b this August. We have also done the Panama Canel. All have been in inside cabins. We are only there to sleep, wash, and change clothes. There is too much to see and do outside to stay in the cabins. If we missed anything we sure don't know it!:D There are so many comfy places that have excellent views all around the ship that I couldn't bear to be confined to a cabin. Also, staying in the cabin, we would not have met all those fasinating people who had wonderful insights and stories about what we were seeing. Personally, I wouldn't want anything but an inside cabin - because the rest of the ship is so great.

We went to Alaska last summer, and yes we had a balcony cabin but we are a family of 4 and the extra sapce is great. However, that being said we did not usethe balcony for viewing purposes, we used it as a quiet place to read a book, or a place to enjoy a glass of wine before dinner (we had great weather). I would rather be on deck for viewing not only for the awesome scenery but for the great company of all my fellow passengers and the hot chocolate of course. So, yes we love our balconies but you can absolutely do without.

When cruising with DD it is very important to have a balcony; she would only cruise without one if on ships that don't have them: DH could care less, he would rather save the money. When we did Alaska several years ago, our ship had no balconies. For me, I would opt for one, especially if doing an itinerary like Panama or Alaska if the price was right, but not for a couple hundred bucks a person more. We are doing the canal in NOvember with another couple. After discussing it with both couple have decided on a G cat guaranteed cabin: of course if we get upgraded that will be awesom, but if not the price is more important. We will see the canal from someplace I am sure. NMnita

Archived