Dress code and tipping

What is the dress code of a 7 night cruise? I know one of the nights is a formal, but what about the other nights? Is slacks and a polo shirt acceptable? What about for boys around the age of 10?

Now, Do they add on the tips at the end of the cruise to your final bill? How much is it per day per person?

Thanks for the answers in advance...:D

There will be two formal nights on a seven night cruise. The rest of the time slacks and a polo shirt are more than fine and you will look great.

You can add tips before you even leave from the RCI website or at any time onto your Sign and Sail Pass by going to the Guest Relations office. The other option is to leave cash the second to last night. Your steward will leave an envelope in your room.

Have a fabulous cruise.

That's what I get for reading and posting before coffee. Kathy is right, kids dress the same as adults. I got my 8 and 6 (at the time) year olds dress clothes at Marshall's and paid very little for them.

If yu use the search feature on this forum you will find out a lot about tipping and the dress codes. It s at the top right of this forum. I always use the search feature prior to doing a thread JIC it has been asked and answered before.

I think it is really more the dress preference instead of dress code of RCI. We just went cruised on the June 18th AOS and there is nothing in the way of a dress code that is enforced by RCI. There was one table next to ours where the people sitting at it wore shorts and T-shirts on many of the nights to dinner. I asked our waiter if RCI did not enforce a dress code and I was advised that they do not. So IMHO there really is not a dress code because nothing is enforced. We don't happen to feel that is right, but I guess that is RCI's problem.

John & Shari

I think it is really more the dress preference instead of dress code of RCI. We just went cruised on the June 18th AOS and there is nothing in the way of a dress code that is enforced by RCI. There was one table next to ours where the people sitting at it wore shorts and T-shirts on many of the nights to dinner. I asked our waiter if RCI did not enforce a dress code and I was advised that they do not. So IMHO there really is not a dress code because nothing is enforced. We don't happen to feel that is right, but I guess that is RCI's problem.

John & Shari

No, it's a dress code (at least that's what RCI calls it), it's just that they pretty much rely on voluntary compliance and lots of passengers choose to ignore it.

No, it's a dress code (at least that's what RCI calls it), it's just that they pretty much rely on voluntary compliance and lots of passengers choose to ignore it.

IMHO if it is truly a dress code then people wearing shorts and T-shirts to the dining room should be asked to either change into proper attire for that evening or else pointed towards the Windjammer.

There will be two formal nights on a seven night cruise. The rest of the time slacks and a polo shirt are more than fine and you will look great.

You can add tips before you even leave from the RCI website or at any time onto your Sign and Sail Pass by going to the Guest Relations office. The other option is to leave cash the second to last night. Your steward will leave an envelope in your room.

Have a fabulous cruise.

Normally, you tip your servers on the last night, not the second to last night. I've never heard or know anyone to tip out on the second to last night.

Normally, you tip your servers on the last night, not the second to last night. I've never heard or know anyone to tip out on the second to last night.

You're right. The envelopes are placed in your cabin the second to last night, you distribute your tips the last night.

you can tip the second night before the end if you are not going to the dining room the last night, say you're going to a specialty restaurant. Also if it's possable and you know in advance you won't be going to the dining room let your table mates know so they don't sit for 10-15 minutes waiting for you before ordering.

We tipped our servers on the next to last night on the Navigator because our friends had reservations at Chops on the last night and had asked us to join them. I got envelopes at the Purser's Desk in order to do this. Our steward received hers on the last night as usual.

Perhaps a quibble, but the only place that mentions dress "codes" is the FAQ question "What are the dress codes?" (or something similar). The description (FAQ answer) from RCI specifically calls them guidelines and "types" of evenings, so it's really hard to say which word is to be applied: code is usually more like a rule, whereas guideline is more a suggestion and preference. RCI says the appreciate our following these guidelines, but don't say that pax who don't will be denied entry to the dining room.

Just an observation.

beachchick

You know, there's a great way to solve this "eternal dilemma" of whether it's a dress *code* or dress *suggestions* or dress *guidelines* or dress *laws* or dress *instructions* or dress *hints* or dress *admonitions* or dress..............well, you get the idea.

In many schools where there is a Dress Code (EEK! There's that phrase!), there will be the equivalent of office "casual Fridays". In other words, as a fundraiser, a group will sell "passes" that entitle the payor to wear, say, blue jeans, or less than the required uniform, on that day.

All RC has to do is charge a FEE to violate the dress *{fill in the blank}* and can accomplish two things in one blow - compliance to the standards of the evening, or MAKING MONEY.

:D :D :D

If you decide to put your tips on your Seapass, there is a deadline to do it. You can't wait until the last night and decide that's what you would like to do. You should get a paper in your cabin telling about putting tips on the Seapass and what the deadline is.

Have a great cruise.

A very good observation on your part. Some people take everything they read very literally. And there is far too much political correctness at work here. Bah humbug!

Yes, RCI would appreciate it if people did not look like beach bums all day and night aboard ship. Thus, the suggested attire notations in the Compass or any other cruise line's daily paper. That's ALL they are: SUGGESTIONS.

There is no way RCI is going to risk alienating paying current/future customers by splitting hairs about what constitutes formal or informal or resort casual or whatever -- and there will be no denying entrance to the Windjammer to someone who wishes to wear such clothing as clean and decent looking Bermudas and polos, or nice tee-shirts, capris and sandals, etc.

I have seen young kids in bathing suits in Windjammer in the evening and no one says a word. Someone PAID their fare and the cruise lines know all they can do is "suggest," not truly enforce any dress codes. Now, if people are throwing food around, running through the halls, falling down drunk, endangering themselves or other passengers, that's another matter entirely and perhaps grounds for removal from ship or at least from activities. Clothing??? A non-issue.............

Perhaps a quibble, but the only place that mentions dress "codes" is the FAQ question "What are the dress codes?" (or something similar). The description (FAQ answer) from RCI specifically calls them guidelines and "types" of evenings, so it's really hard to say which word is to be applied: code is usually more like a rule, whereas guideline is more a suggestion and preference. RCI says the appreciate our following these guidelines, but don't say that pax who don't will be denied entry to the dining room.

Just an observation.

beachchick

Someone PAID their fare and the cruise lines know all they can do is "suggest," not truly enforce any dress codes. .............

Actually, some cruise lines do and it is refreshing indeed not to be surrounded by people dressed for dinner as if they were going to a football game.:cool:

How many people attend a football game wearing the clothes I described as being acceptable for the Windjammer in the evening? I'm guessing none. All I've ever seen at a football game is jeans, sweats, school or team gear, tennis shoes, parkas, caps etc. Not exactly what one would run into in the Windjammer on ANY evening.

Actually, some cruise lines do and it is refreshing indeed not to be surrounded by people dressed for dinner as if they were going to a football game.:cool:

How many people attend a football game wearing the clothes I described as being acceptable for the Windjammer in the evening? I'm guessing none. All I've ever seen at a football game is jeans, sweats, school or team gear, tennis shoes, parkas, caps etc. Not exactly what one would run into in the Windjammer on ANY evening.

You have never seen jeans, sweats, school or team gear, tennis shoes, caps in the WJ on any evening??????????? You got to be kidding..I've even seen all that in the dining room.................

Thus, the suggested attire notations in the Compass or any other cruise line's daily paper. That's ALL they are: SUGGESTIONS.

I have a Freedom of the Seas Compass in front of me. Day 3, Casual. It says, under the dining room times, in italics (for emphasis): "Please note that bare feet, short pants, and tank tops are not permitted at dinner."

Exactly what part of that phrase can be interpreted as a *suggestion*? Help me understand.

T

Has anyone been turned away on formal night for showing up in a light colored summer suit? It seems a lot more appropriate to wear a light- weight and light colored tropical suit for a Mediterrnean cruise in August, than to wear a dark suit or tux. Would a sport jacket, tie, and slacks be admissable?

Has anyone been turned away on formal night for showing up in a light colored summer suit? It seems a lot more appropriate to wear a light- weight and light colored tropical suit for a Mediterrnean cruise in August, than to wear a dark suit or tux. Would a sport jacket, tie, and slacks be admissable?

You would not be tossed overboard for wearing that at all. It's not technically formal, but it's more formal than some of the stuff I've seen!! (which would curl or straighten yer hair if I told ye the tale. Arrrrrg).

that you can pay your tips from the RCI website before you cruise? I looked, and I don't see where you can do that??

Do you have to call them directly?

Thanks,

Sue

It is most appropriate to wear a dark suit as this is the most formal.

A light suit will work also. Last but not least would be the sport coat and tie.

Archived