What type of wildlife will we see

West Coast Couple

We will be on Celebrity leaving from Vancouver and our ports are Juneau, Kechikan, Sitka and the Hubbard Glacier. The cruise is at the end of August. I'd like to hear from others who have cruised at this time of year and find out what types of wildlife (sea, air and land) we can look forward to seeing. Thanks for any input.

IF you spend time out on deck, you have the potential of plenty of marine wildlife. But it is superior to go on a whale watch for close up extended viewing. A good pair of wide angle binoculars is a must. I recommend 10x50's, you need the 10 power in my opinion.

You have to potential for bear viewing out of Traitor's Cove out of Ketchikan. Eagles are everywhere, again, spend your time out on deck.

However- don't expect the sightings plastered on the cruise brochures. Chance sightings will be distant and brief. Anything else is a gift. :)

We were on the 6/18 round trip from Vancouver on Serenade. We saw Caribu, a bear and its cub from the train on the Yukon White Pass and from the bus going up to Carcross we saw a bald eagle. We also saw lots of bald eagles in Junea. About 1 hour out of Ketchiken we saw orcas from our aft balcony. However, from the time we left Hubbard Glacier, people were seeing whales, we kept missing them. It was wonderful when we finally saw a large pod, we were able to capture them on video and digital camera, and were able to see the whites of the belly.

Have a great time on your cruise, Alaska is truly amazing!! Dress warm at Hubbard Glacier, it was VERY COLD!!

Nancy

We were on the 6/18 round trip from Vancouver on Serenade. We saw Caribu, a bear and its cub from the train on the Yukon White Pass and from the bus going up to Carcross we saw a bald eagle. We also saw lots of bald eagles in Junea. About 1 hour out of Ketchiken we saw orcas from our aft balcony. However, from the time we left Hubbard Glacier, people were seeing whales, we kept missing them. It was wonderful when we finally saw a large pod, we were able to capture them on video and digital camera, and were able to see the whites of the belly.

Have a great time on your cruise, Alaska is truly amazing!! Dress warm at Hubbard Glacier, it was VERY COLD!!

Nancy

When you were at the Hubbard Glacier, did the boat swing around so you could sit on the deck of your aft cabin and watch it? We have an aft cabin for the Alaska cruise and my dad doesn't have the best legs. It would be great for him to sit on our deck and see it.

If you're in Seward, stop at the Alaska Sealife Center. It's not puffins in the wild, but there are some roaming free in a room there. It was a good way to see marine animals up close.

Thanks everyone for all the information. I'm really looking forward to the wildlife. I was really hoping to see Puffins, so will cross my fingers.

Then you definately need and I recommend you book a boat tour out of Sitka to St. Lazaria Island- the only accessable puffin rookery for cruise passengers on the Inside Passage. Book indepenent listings http://www.sitka.org

You are NOT likely to see them from your cruise ship. Very very difficult to spot.

Then you definately need and I recommend you book a boat tour out of Sitka to St. Lazaria Island- the only accessable puffin rookery for cruise passengers on the Inside Passage. Book indepenent listings www.sitka.org

You are NOT likely to see them from your cruise ship. Very very difficult to spot.

Thanks so much for that information. I checked it out and there are tours that will take us right out to the island to see the puffins, etc.

Really appreciated your help!

Linda

We will be on Celebrity leaving from Vancouver and our ports are Juneau, Kechikan, Sitka and the Hubbard Glacier. The cruise is at the end of August. I'd like to hear from others who have cruised at this time of year and find out what types of wildlife (sea, air and land) we can look forward to seeing. Thanks for any input.

We just got back July 2nd from this cruise, on the Celebrity Infinity. We saw schools of dolphins on both inside passage days. We also saw whales in the distance a few times while at sea.

Hubbard Glacier was just amazing... we watched from our port stateroom balcony for the longest time and then as the ship began to turn, we went up on deck and were up there a long time. We heard/saw lots of calving.

We did 3 port tours and saw lots of wildlife. My excursion photos are online at:

http://allearsnet.com/alaska

Deb

Heya Granynanny, I was in an aft balcony cabin on this cruise as well. Deck 10 amidships room 1104. It was a whale show every single evening of the cruise. Saw 'em from the balcony and while at dinner each evening (got lucky enough to have a window seat for our family/group at dinner). I missed seeing the orca pods from the ship out of Ketchikan, but saw both pods from the air while doing the Misty Fjords flightseeing before we left. In fact, those greedy gussies were responsible for the generally poor fishing we had that morning!

All throughout the trip there were whales galore (20-25 different sightings just from the balcony), dolphins, eagles, sea lions and an otter. Even saw King Salmon leaping out of the water while fighting the tide in Juneau. All from the ship. Saw even more of the same from excursions.

We just got back July 2nd from this cruise, on the Celebrity Infinity. We saw schools of dolphins on both inside passage days. We also saw whales in the distance a few times while at sea.

Hubbard Glacier was just amazing... we watched from our port stateroom balcony for the longest time and then as the ship began to turn, we went up on deck and were up there a long time. We heard/saw lots of calving.

We did 3 port tours and saw lots of wildlife. My excursion photos are online at:

Deb

Hey, Deb! It took seeing your photo link to figure out who you are! So - how does an Alaska cruise on Celebrity compare to a Disney cruise to wherever?

mhedoct6 -- We booked all our excursions through the ship. I dont' recall who the company was that did our boat tour.

NancyIL - We were happy with our Celebrity Inifinity cruise. Different from Disney. Some things we liked better, some things we missed. There is just something about Disney "magic". That said, we would sail Celebrity again. Both have their strenghts and weaknesses.

Deb

Deb

Deb, thanks so much for the photos. They are beautiful.

Archived