change in itinerary...

jstducky

hi!

i just found out from HAL that there has been a slight change in intinerary for my cruise leaving next saturday on the Zuiderdam...

the original itinerary:

depart fll 5:00pm

key west 8-6

sea day

cozumel 6:30-3

grand cayman 8-6

sea day

half moon cay 8-4

arrive fll 8:00 am

according to the HAL rep the new itinerary is now:

depart fll 5:00 pm

key west 8-6

cozumel 3pm -

overnight in cozumel depart 3pm

grand cayman 8-6

sea day

half moon cay 8-4

arrive fll 8:00 am

does this make sense to anyone? i dont understand why the change in intinerary to begin with. on top of that has anyone ever had an overnight in cozumel before? what happens to the shore excursions that we've already purchased? do the times just get adjusted?

does this just mean that we got lucky and are getting an extra half day in cozumel? thats cool if thats the case... i wonder why the change though? can the ship make it from key west to cozumel that quickly?

was the HAL rep maybe just misunderstanding or reading me incorrect info?

any help would be appreciated.

Getting to Cozumel overnight plus morning is doable. I've never had this happen to me, but I would guess the half-day excursions will be shifted and any full-day trips refunded. There could be a number of reasons why the had to change. Maybe had to do with the number of ships in port at a given time. Someone else will probably know the reason.

Just a thought.

We know that the Vista class ships can go faster, but looking at the time you leave Key West (6 PM) and arrive at Cozumel (6:30 AM) on the original schedule seems to be pushing it a bit. That's only 12 1/2 hours to get there.

HAL may think the ship needs more time to get to Cozumel.

Also, it is just a short run from Cozumel to Grand Cayman.

If you booked the ship's excursions, they will either be cancelled or adjusted.

But if you booked your own tours, you have problems.

hey all...

thanks for the help.. i went back and re-edited my original post as i was mistaken.. going back.. i see that we were meant to have a sea day between key west and cozumel... so instead of having a whole sea day now.. the ship will actually arrive in cozumel a half day early at 3 pm and will stay overnight until 3 pm the next night...

i had booked a ship shore excursion so i wasnt too worried about the shore excursion except that i didnt want it to be cancelled. i am assuming the shore excursion will go on at the same time and day as originally scheduled...

but now that i've gained an extra day in cozumel i am going to have to figure out what to do! any suggestions? something fun, but not too wild and crazy?

Coz is pretty much water sports, shopping and bars (Carlos & Charlie's, for example). If your scheduled excursion permits, there are many good beaches. A national park - Chankanaab - has various beach/water activities including snorkel, snuba, dolphin swim, etc.

Some reference web sites include:

http://www.cometocozumel.com/

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/

http://www.cozumel-click.com/snorkel.html

http://www.mrsanchos.com/

http://www.geocities.com/snubacozumel/

Why not visit the Cozumel message board? It's very chatty. You'll likely get some good suggestions there.

http://mytravelboard.com/cozumel/

Please post at least short review about your cruise. :) Ok?

We will be on Zui in August and I am scared to go after all negative reviews I read. I know some people just love to be negative but still.

Have a great cruise!!!

If you're scared of the Zuiderdam because of some negativity, then calm your fears. We sailed the Zuiderdam early on and had a wonderful cruise. The ship is great. A bit different in "character" from other HAL ships, but beautiful and spacious nonetheless. You'll enjoy it.

I heard the Key West Port is under some kind of construction and no one is stopping there until the end of the year sometime.

I don't understand why this is so because they have 2 places to doc. One of them down near Mallory Square and the other one up by the Naval Base.

Anyone know anything about this?

THX.

With regard to Key West, it's the Naval Base pier which is undergoing reconstruction. During that time, since the Mallory Square pier can only accommodate so many ships, and some cruise lines don't like to tender, they've cancelled their Key West stops until the Navy Pier is completed, I believe in January.

As I recall, it is primarily Carnival ships who are cancelling their stops there, but that's offhand memory rather than double checking it.

With regard to Key West, it's the Naval Base pier which is undergoing reconstruction. During that time, since the Mallory Square pier can only accommodate so many ships, and some cruise lines don't like to tender, they've cancelled their Key West stops until the Navy Pier is completed, I believe in January.

As I recall, it is primarily Carnival ships who are cancelling their stops there, but that's offhand memory rather than double checking it.

Thanks Amber!

It's probably because the Key West Pier is under construction. They had similar changes with Carnival cruises however some of their ships are bypassing Key West altogether and staying longer in Cozumel.

:)

Key West - yes they are expanding the Naval pier to accommodate more cruise ships. On most of HAL ships, lately, they are only there for a few hours. To really enjoy Key West, you need an entire day there.

As for the Zuiderdam - we have never been on her. And we were reluctant to try a Vista class ship after all the negative remarks. But we tried the Oosterdam this past winter and loved her. Now we are booked for back-to-back cruises on the Westerdam in 2005.

:)

Archived