Crown Princess Incident

Nliedel

Breaking news:

http://www.local6.com/index.html

local6.com

'Steering Casualty' Injures Passengers On Cruise Ship

POSTED: 4:59 pm EDT July 18, 2006

PORT CANAVERAL, Fla. -- A cruise ship took a heavy roll at sea, injuring several passengers, according to Coast Guard officials at Port Canaveral.

The Coast Guard did not report how many degrees the ship Crown Princess rolled before it righted itself. Officials only said that the ship experienced what it called "a steering casualty."

Coast Guard spokesman Petty Officer James Judge said he didn't know how many people were hurt or how serious any of the injuries were.

The cruise ship headed back to port.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

ABC news came on again and states that the ship is listing!! Are you all ok? Please remember that there are power outages at LGA airport in NY and we are expecting severe thunderstorms this evening.

Local news has a copter out and reporters at terminal, CG is going out to inspect to determine if it can enter PC, terminal 5 (where it was this AM) has 15 emergency vehicles staged and a bunch of buses lined up.

Just spoke to a friend who is on the Crown. She said they were told it was a steering problem. She is fine but the ship is such a mess. Everyone is very frightened. She just want to go home. Pat

The news outlets know a lot less than is being reported here... Headline news is about to do a story after a commercial, and is showing a grainy images of the ship outside the port. They are only reporting a steering problem, heavy roll, and passenger injuries.

The news outlets know a lot less than is being reported here... Headline news is about to do a story after a commercial, and is showing a grainy images of the ship outside the port. They are only reporting a steering problem, heavy roll, and passenger injuries.

I agree and CNN will not have crew there for 45 minutes so it will be awhile until the photos begin appearing.

Prayers for their safe arrival in port without further incident.

local news just showed close up of ship. It looks level and there are some people out on their balconies. There are smaller ships circling as it approaches. More ambulances at port. I called my level 1 trauma hospital where I work and are waiting to see if they will be needed.

Miami and Ft.Laud news state Coast Guard and emergency help will be at Port Canaveral. Still saying it was the rudder that caused the problem. Saw pics of the ship a minute ago, you can barely tell it's listing, it looks ok, although pic isn't totally clear as it's raining up there. I'll post if the news has anything else.

What a mess. Make sure Princess puts you all up in first class hotels. The JW Marriott or Ritz Carlton in Orlando are nice. The Hyatt at Orlando Int'l Airport is good, or The Renaissancenear Sea World. All peaceful hotels where you can get really good comp meals and try to start relaxing again.

Laguardia is a downright mess. They showed people in the terminals sweating and there were a lot of people.

The local news here in Orlando said that the Crown is still seaworthy but it's pretty obvious that they will send all of you home.

Good luck to all aboard.

Local news 6abc spoke on the phone to a passenger. He was live on air telling many things that have already posted. I am sorry that a fun time had to end this way. I am hoping that the injured are better soon. I also hope that the loved ones at home do not have to worry and can speak with their loved ones and be assured of their well being.

Archived