Broken leg/plastic cast Help!

Dear all experience RCI cruisers,

Going on our 1st RCI cruise on the 19th Aug. Last week my son dislocated his shoulder and broke his tibia bone. Has anyone had any experience like this? My problem is I have two cabin booked - family of 5 cabins next to each other. I dont want to be on different part of the ship but I also know that he might still be using a wheelchair because of his dislocated shoulder and will need a disable cabin? Do RCI charge for this change? Help???.

If you're cruising next month I doubt if there are any handicapped cabins still available. Of course you need to address your concern with RCI's accessability staff, not here.

Regarding the accessable cabin only, I doubt seriously doubt if you'll be able to get a handicapped cabin this close to departure. You'll definately need to contact RCI's Accessable Seas staff to find out. I have their Accessable Seas brochure, but I can't locate it to give you their specific phone number.

I dislocated my shoulder in early February 2005. There was so much muscle & nerve damage I still don't have a lot of usage in my left arm/hand. I hope your son doesn't have as much trouble as I did; though I'm sure the age is going to be a big factor; I was 59 when I had my injury.

Dear Treven, thanks. I have just contacted my TA because my son will be in a wheelchair. RCI will contact them if there is any disable cabin left but not for few days. Apparently Head office in Floride deals with it. Also there may be a charge for changing cabin, Stress, Stress, Stress.

I was able to switch to a handicapped cabin the week before a cruise. I called the Royal Caribbean number for those with disabilities a month before and all the cabins were taken - I had booked a catagory D balcony cabin before my accident (broken ankle, wheelchair bound.) They told me to keep calling back, and sure enough, the agent said they moved an able bodied person out of a catagory E handicapped cabin (still had the balcony) and switched our cabins. There was no extra charge as I had already paid for a higher level cabin. Keep on trying.

A regular cabin is almost impossible to use if you are wheelchair bound. A normal wheelchair will not fit through the door or around the beds. Worse yet, is trying to get down the hallways with all the bins with towels and bedding. The handicapped cabins are in the areas with the wide hallways, and close to the elevators.

Wheelchair? Shoulder dislocation? Tibia?

The tibia is one of the lower leg bones. What in the world are you talking about? Did he both dislocate his shoulder and break a tibia?

The Old Fart

Yes that is why he needs the wheelchair and can't use crutches!

Oh my gosh....the poor thing! How on earth did he manage this? Sounds much more serious than the subject line indicates...I figured it would be about tips on keeping water out of a cast!

My brother, in the days of our youth, had a habit of breaking an arm right before we went on summer vacation. This was in the day before plastic casts. My poor mother, at the beach, with a young son in a cement cast!!! Happened a total of FIVE times. We have a joke in our family that he's broken all five arms.

As for having a son in a wheelchair on a cruise, that's a huge bummer. Let us know how it works out....trying to get a handicapped cabin.

T

My daughter had tore her tendion right before we went on our last cruise....she had a cast that could come off...so she could take it off and hop hop into the water and then had to put it back on...she did use a wheel chair we was lucky to get one at the port but that was tampa one and we just kept it to use the whole time we was on the ship ....no one said anything...was it harder for her yes...and did she get sick of it...yea...she ended up using the walking cast before we was done...and in pain but had fun then came back and took it easy again...but that was the only reason the dr. put the walking cast on that you could take it off was so she could go into the water......now you get alot of attention...

There is alot of places hard to deal with a wheel chair...but we was on the Grandeur and it's an older ship....

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the casts these days are made of fiberglass.

The Old Fart

I tore a tendon in my ankle early this year, I swear the cast was plaster. It surely was as heavy as plaster. After a few weeks, they used a special saw and cut it in half lengthwise, so I could take it off at night. It was still quite heavy. I wasn't supposed to take it off for physical activity, just for showering and sleeping. I am pretty sure it was plaster, though. Would fiberglass be that heavy?

Have you looked into using a "transfer chair"? Those are the narrower chairs, and I'll bet you can get it through the cabin door:

http://www.usatechguide.org/itemreview.php?itemid=702

Just in case you can't get a handicap accessible cabin.

Another avenue of assistance is special_needs@rccl.com. They were very helpful with my DH's request about his bed arrangement because of his back. Try them, too.

my daughter who had tendon repair in her ankle first had a splint for two weeks because of swelling, then a fiberglass cast. They wrapped her in what looked like stretchy felt, then soaked what looked like a roll of sticky hot pink mudding tape, the kind with holes, and wrapped that around and around. It hardened within a short time. When they took it off they used a small circular saw that cut thru the fiberglass tape quickly with the vibrations "tickleing" my daughter. Her surgeon said plaster is a dinasour these days. her boot she now wears is actually heaver then her cast was.

Dear all, comments appreciated. My 16 yrs old son injured himself skateboarding. Silly, Silly boy. Since coming home on Friday afternoon, I have had to assist with all his personal care etc. We will know more next week after his consultant review. We might have to consider cancelling his place but then we will find a kind relative to stay and look after him.

I don't see why you should have to pay more for a handicapped cabin if there is one available. Why should you be penalised for having a disability? I think it is terrible if they charge you more

Not being penalized for having a disability...just having to pay for a cabin change, just like everyone else would have to do...

LL

On July 4th, I was walking around at a friends house and all of a sudden I felt a throb in my ankle. By the next morning it was swollen, black and blue, and really sore!! To make a long story short, I have stress fracture of the left something or other in my ankle!! They put we in an air cast that has to be worn for 6 weeks. I just finished week one. So, my 8/15 crusie, I will be in this cast. Ladies, I don;t have to tell you all the clothes and matching shoes that I bought for this trip?? Or the evening dresses??? They are all going to look just grand with my purple and black sneakers!! However, I am able to go, should not need a wheel chair and maybe at night I can wear shoes. But, I have to confess, I've just stopped crying and feeling sorry for myself.

MY husband and I really planned this trip for over a year and saved every penny we could to have private tours and just the best time...and now I am in this cast and my ankle still throbs!!!!!!!!!

Look for me on the BOS...I'll be the one with the purple sneakers!!!!!

Archived