Fanny packs & security purses

For those of you going into the water:

How about an otterbox put inside a lightweight nylon bag/backpack? Plus, if you get a mid-sized one, you can always put a few delicate souvenirs inside the otterbox for crush-free transport home. Or even double/triple ziplock bagging and putting that inside a lightweight nylon bag/backpack (baggallini or lesportsac from ebay) would be an easy way to waterproof without going the fannypack route.

My DH is very masculine, and honestly he could care less if he looks like a tourist lol. :D

It could be worse. My very masculine husband couldn't care less about how he LOOKS, forget the whole tourist part. :D

Robin

My own opinion on fanny packs is that they make you stand out as a tourist, and for a man, well, no offense but to me a man wearing a fanny pack is "the death of all masculinity". Menina

LOL! So true!

A man purse.

Wow, these tapestry ones are really nice! I am also a fan of hands free, and these seem like they would be quite pretty, and not frumpy at all. )Hikers use fanny packs all the time, and I never thought of them as frumpy!)

I invested in a compromise and a purse for our last cruise. I found a 9west backpack purse that is not cavenous ( I can find stuff in it) but allowed me to carry our IDS, some of my husbands medications and my camera. It worked well and wasn't too cumbersome. My hands were free and I didn't feel like I was a pack animal.

Newbie here, setting sail in 20... oh wait... now 19+change!!!! days. I opted for the CC "water wallet" for days my BF and I plan on being in the water all day. However, may I ask the group, what do people do with BIGer possessions on beach days? I have a beach back-pack. Should I bring that as well? I am a super paranoid NYer who will not leave stuff unattended.

I carry a small backpack that has enough room for medication (for me and my son) sunglasses, lip gloss, etc. The wallet is integrated and is on the side of the backpack that is nearest my body. It is made of leather and all the compartments zip close. I actually carry it all the time.

Amy in San Diego

Good grief, lots of people wear fanny packs. Besides, you ARE a tourist - so what if you look like one. You will still stand out no matter what you do! Sometimes I wear a fanny pack and somtimes I don't , but I have never , ever felt out out place or strange or less masculine (yes, I am a male) if I do wear one. Other times I carry a camera bag and put the extra items in it - but that screams tourist also! Do what is comfortable and what you want. If others don't like it, it's their problem!

I have two things I use when travelling. First I have the large Baggalini wallet purse (which isn't large, it's just the large size for them). It is GREAT! And, if you want to transform it to hook on a belt or as a "fanny pack" you can, and it can still be your little black purse when you go out at night. When I don't want to carry anything and still want to look nice, I wear my money belt that goes under my clothing. It is lightweight, beige, has enough room for cash, credit cards, chapstick, and goes right under my pants or shorts, etc. No one can tell it's there and I have my stuff handy. I purchased both items at our local AAA as they have a travel store inside.

Robin

Mincruiser.....well said. Sometimes practicality wins out for me. I don't care what it looks like. It's practical for me. My biggest worry is getting distracted and leaving my purse someplace. The fannypack is where I can see it and feel it at all times. Yep, I'm a tourist....and I love it!

you do whatever makes you feel comfortable...I use a fanny pack for this reason, I want to have hands free while I am shopping and do not want to take the risk of setting my purse down and forgetting it..plus a good place to put your sunglasses and chap stick,lol ;)

I agree, what works for you is the most important thing. You can always keep your eyes open when shopping for other options to carry your items when in port or traveling but if the fanny pack fits your lifestyle and comfort level then use it.

Ms B

That is exactly why I don't care to carry a purse! My family wants me to carry their stuff for them. If I don't have a purse, fanny pack, backpack or any carry type container, they have to carry their own stuff. It's amazing how much they can do without if they are forced to carry it themselves. I am not a pack mule, for myself or anyone else.

Oh boy did you bring back an unpleasant memory for me. The whole family went to Sea World in Orlando for the day. We live about 3 hours away in Sarasota. After a long hot day, my husband and I left around 5:00. The rest stayed behind, three other cars of family members. At this point, all of the family split up in different ways.

After a long day of walking and the drive home my husband and I jumped in bed to take a nap.:rolleyes:

Not 5 mins after juming in bed my son called and said, "Mom, where are you? I said, "Were home. Tom and I decided to leave a little earlier than expected, how was your ride home?". He said, I couldnt tell you, when we were having lunch together, I put my car keys in your backpack".

Back in the car to Orlando I had to go............. Thank goodness for him it was a 3 hour drive cause I would have killed him if I didnt have time to cool off and remember he was just a kid per se, and we did have a nice time, so why ruin it?

To keep this on topic for the fashion boards and this thread, I was obviousley wearing a small back pack, capri pants and a blue tank top, and I had a great hair day. :D

my husband has waterproof wallet inside his swim trunks, Im a back pack gal nylon/waterproof, I have 2 for my wheelchair they are

Bennetton . used to have a really really nice Guess perfect size one. This is what I would bring (even if I was walking in the past) and there was no bukly feeling and didnt feel like I had a grapefruit hanging off my hip:D , thats how a fanny bag felt to me at least. now my MIL wears hers ALL THE TIME I mean for EVERYTHING it Drives me batty batty, it looks VERY tacky, shes had that thing wayyyyy too long, I wish she would at least get a nice one, she is totally stuck to it, I dont dare buy her new one she would never part with her old faithful (why are people like that:confused: ). I say whatever feels good when crusing or traveling in general, and I agree most of us DO look like tourists no matter how hard we try not to since the minute you take that camera out its a done deal , it screams tourist which I dont have a problme with unless Im in an area that screams theft!, look out ectttt. Im VERY aware of my surroundings I HAVE to be. I also make bags they are adorable, I can put them across my shoulders (not right now) or onback of WC, peop;le ask me for them all the time (I sew) but no matter what Im not comforatable with the fanny thing at all, dont like them, but its not that big of a deal really,

ENJOY your trips, I will enjoy mine,we will all look fine Im sure:)

Live Life

I have used a fanny pack a few times in the past, though I don't like them, because of the convenience and security. Now I usually use a slightly larger version of a wallet on a string. It's very comfy, big enough for a camera and can be slung across my body (it can also be worn as a fanny pack) if I want more security.

But I really don't think anyone is going to laugh, or care, if you wear a fanny pack. They are very commonly used by tourists, and if anyone is going to waste time laughing at all the people using fanny packs they need a job! The fashion police will not arrest you!

totally agree , just becuase some of us dont like them (they are very uncomfortable for me personaly) donest mean you cant or shouldnt wear one, I just wish I could at least get MIL to wear a NEW one ,ha,hah,a,ha hers is at least! 16 years old no kidding:o AND its NOT for travel its for ALL days and ALL times ,ha,ha,hah,a.

Have a lovley trip and fanny away.........

hugs

live life

I was wearing a fanny pack a couple of years ago and got hit by a pickpocket. It happened very quickly and in a crowd. A man bumped into me, and as I turned and excused myself, my pack was pulled hard. If it had been a purse, it would have been gone. My pack held fast to my hip and the would be thief swore at me and ran off.

Maybe he only intended to remove my fanny pack to spare me fashion suicide.

There has sure been a lot of responses to my question! Part of my question is about security purses too. There are fanny packs and purses that are made to discourage thieves. The handles and belts/straps have a steel cord through them and the seams are stronger. Evidently it is common to "slash" and run by cutting the strap and grabbing the purse. They are very attractive and don't look any different. I think I did a search on travel security and found a company that specialized in security for business travelers.

I live on a beach and see lots of "sights" but I figure if the person is comfortable wearing what they have on then that is what they should wear.

Lots of people have shoulder problems which do not allow them to carry either a backpack or purse.

I love the wallets on a string but if you have to carry insulin or some other kind of medication that takes up more room you need something bigger.

We ALL scream tourist:) ,ha,hah,a,ha, when I travel I look like a kid sitting in my chair so excited just to be somewhere! I must have tourist plaster ALL over my face ,ha,ha,ha, I dont care really, when I went to NY once with my oldest who was just a little baby I rolled her Stroller around with feirce look on my face" you try to touch us or harm us you are going to get mowed down with this stroller", Had my back Pack AND a Fanny pack then I remember it because I didnt like all the ones they had bck then (very geeky looking) and I went far and wide to find a smooth soft Leather one and found one. (this was the 80s mind you) Now you can find just about anything for Travel. I really like LLbean and RCI stuff, its durable and you have some neat things.

If I could just find a pair of WC gloves that were snazzy, I have looked EVERYWhERE, my hands are VERY small (size XS, Size 6 in gloves) I looked far and wide the last few months, nada. Any ideas for those??????, maybe I will get some custom made.

Enjoy today and always

Live Life

I think the fanny pack was like number 65.

But to each his own, and if you find the fanny pack comforting, then by all means use one. I learned after being the victim of a pickpocket in Chicago 15 years ago, whatever I use, it must zip up completely, and I keep it close to my body, in the front, with the zipper towards the front. I usually keep a thumb through the zipper fob. I have passed on many wonderful bags over the years that simply snap or flap over. The one the pickpocket got into was a brand new Liz Claiborne, with two flaps overlapping each other. He was in and out with my wallet before I knew what happened. If the fanny pack gives you peace of mind to enjoy your excursion, then use it.

Ok, so much for the "death of all masculinity" comment. One thing that might work is to get a really good pair of "true" cargo pants (like from a military store). You can unzip the bottoms and voila, instant shorts. The pockets are also very deep and can hold just enough. You can never go wrong with travleing light. I have thought for years that the reason why women carry such big purses is because of their s/o's. "Honey, could you put this in your purse"??? :) Menina

Archived