Fanny packs & security purses

Is it very unfashionable to use a fanny pack on board and excursions.Seems like that would be very convenient for having hands free but will all of you snicker at a 55+ lady using one? They even make them in leather with special security features. There are also very nice over the shoulder purses with special security features such as metal cords through the straps that thieves can't just cut and run. Anyone use those?

I don't care if it is unfashionable, I'm not dragging around a purse ever again! ;) My only problem is I can only find the fanny packs in black or a weird blue, wouldn't mind some colors. The one I took on the Freedom of the Seas was big enough to fit my camera plus all my other items and it worked out fine.

:eek: !

LOL!! Check out my response to this thread!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=382351

Oh the dreaded fanny pack....

Would I wear one... absolutely positively not.

Would I "snicker" at you or anyone elso who chose to wear one...absolutely not.

That being said, I WOULD have to resist the urge to show you so other many better, more fashionable, yet just as practical options!!;)

I have never, and will never, buy the excuse that age allows for poor or frumpy fashion choices.... don't buy into that!!

Is it very unfashionable to use a fanny pack on board and excursions.Seems like that would be very convenient for having hands free but will all of you snicker at a 55+ lady using one? They even make them in leather with special security features. There are also very nice over the shoulder purses with special security features such as metal cords through the straps that thieves can't just cut and run. Anyone use those?

True story.

I was sitting on the beach a couple of summers ago and I look up and see this person walking down the beach wearing a getup that just screamed tourist: big floppy hat, tee shirt, shorts, socks and sandals, and wearing a fannypack.

I'm poking my husband laughing like hell, "look at the tourist!!!".

The tourist comes closer and closer and IT IS MY MOTHER!!!!! OMG MOTHER WHAT ARE YOU WEARING?????

My mother normally dresses very well.

The hat was to ward of the sun because of her melanoma, the socks with the sandals because of some sort of weird rash, and the fannypack because it was a freebie on some Royal Caribbean cruise.

We got a good laugh out of it. Needless to say, she eighty sixed the fanny pack and the socks.

So to answer your question, would I laugh if I saw someone wearing a fannypack? Yes.

There are so many other lovely options; backpack, messanger bag, hand bag, etc.

True story.

I was sitting on the beach a couple of summers ago and I look up and see this person walking down the beach wearing a getup that just screamed tourist: big floppy hat, tee shirt, shorts, socks and sandals, and wearing a fannypack.

I'm poking my husband laughing like hell, "look at the tourist!!!".

The tourist comes closer and closer and IT IS MY MOTHER!!!!! OMG MOTHER WHAT ARE YOU WEARING?????

My mother normally dresses very well.

The hat was to ward of the sun because of her melanoma, the socks with the sandals because of some sort of weird rash, and the fannypack because it was a freebie on some Royal Caribbean cruise.

We got a good laugh out of it. Needless to say, she eighty sixed the fanny pack and the socks.

So to answer your question, would I laugh if I saw someone wearing a fannypack? Yes.

There are so many other lovely options; backpack, messanger bag, hand bag, etc.

:D :D Thanks!! I needed that laugh today.... hilarious!

I do the fanny pack thing. I dont particularly like it but I don't like the kind of purse that just goes over one shoulder...falls off....and the longer strap that goes over your neck too....rubs on my neck and gives me a rash and the strap is always in an inconvenient place over or between my "girls" and makes me uncomfortable. I am medium-large busted and that strap just is in the way. The messanger bag is always sliding off my shoulder and the one shoulder back pack does the same thing. I sometimes carry a small backpack but then I worry that someone in a crowd could get into it without me knowing it. :eek:

Of course now that I have lost 25 pounds.....the fanny pack is fitting better. (in fact will have to get one with a smaller strap soon.):) :D

I too shun the dreaded fanny packs. I opt for a small handbag that is meant to be carried around the arms, not slung over the shoulder which does fall down and tenD to annoy me too. I don't find it bothersome to "carry a purse all day". Just sling it around my arm. Wouldn't go without it. It still leaves my hands free too. I don't mean to sound cruel or poke fun, but I have lauughed at an older couple on a cruise when they were arguing over whether to "take the fanny pack or leave it on the boat". I was thinking, "throw it overboard and be done with it!"

I too shun the dreaded fanny packs. I opt for a small handbag that is meant to be carried around the arms, not slung over the shoulder which does fall down and tenD to annoy me too. I don't find it bothersome to "carry a purse all day". Just sling it around my arm. Wouldn't go without it. It still leaves my hands free too. I don't mean to sound cruel or poke fun, but I have lauughed at an older couple on a cruise when they were arguing over whether to "take the fanny pack or leave it on the boat". I was thinking, "throw it overboard and be done with it!"

LOL!!!

Amen to that!

Wow, I guess the fashion police will be after me- I just like the fanny pack idea BECAUSE it is strapped to me- so when I go into a bar or wherever I don't have to think about possibly leaving my purse on the arm of a chair or whatever- I didn't realize that once again, I am out of style -but my teenager neices will certainly let me know when I go visit:eek: For me it is a convenience factor-

When I travel, I always make sure whatever pants I am taking have pockets. I only take what is absolutely necessary for the outing, usually cash, seapass card, lipstick. I wear a sun visor, keep my sunglasses on a cord and apply sunscreen before leaving the ship.

If we're going to the beach (hardly ever, because we live close to the beach) we'll take a beach bag, one the DH doesn't mind carrying. Ours is a duffle bag type, not an open top girly looking thing.

I do have a fanny pack, I used to use it at Disneyland, but I don't use it anymore. If I do take it along, I'm more apt to fling it over my shoulder. I also can't stand backpacks, either, they're too much of a hassle to get into, too deep.

I have a couple wallet on a string type of purses, those work better for me than a purse.

My favorite bag for an excursion is no bag at all, I'm not crazy to have to keep track of anything.

I can remember going someplace with my fashion plate niece and she made fun of my fanny pack....she only had a her pockets....so she ended up giving me a bunch of her stuff to carry IN MY FANNY PACK!!!!

:D :D :D

you do whatever makes you feel comfortable...I use a fanny pack for this reason, I want to have hands free while I am shopping and do not want to take the risk of setting my purse down and forgetting it..plus a good place to put your sunglasses and chap stick,lol ;)

I can remember going someplace with my fashion plate niece and she made fun of my fanny pack....she only had a her pockets....so she ended up giving me a bunch of her stuff to carry IN MY FANNY PACK!!!!

:D :D :D

That is exactly why I don't care to carry a purse! My family wants me to carry their stuff for them. If I don't have a purse, fanny pack, backpack or any carry type container, they have to carry their own stuff. It's amazing how much they can do without if they are forced to carry it themselves. I am not a pack mule, for myself or anyone else.

I confesss....I, too, will pack my fany pack. The only time I use it is when we're traveling. Like others have said, I'm nervous about laying my purse down someplace and with a fanny pack I'm assured that's not gonna happen. I know it's not the most beautiful thing created but oh so practical! If you decide to laugh at me at least don't let me notice, lol!

Ok thanks everyone, I'm KEEPING my fanny pack!!!! I, too only use it on vacations for the same reasons as stated above and as I said before- to have hands free AND not have to worry about leaving it behind!!! So let them laugh!!!!!!!:D ;) :p

Depends on the size of the fanny, doesn't it?:D :D

I personally don't use one, as I think they are uncomfortable, especially in hot weather. Also, I have a fanny that I don't want accentuated by something!!

I like my hands free when I'm walking or shopping on vacation. I also don't want to worry about someone stealing my bag from me. Therefore, I use a flat travel neck purse. I put my lipstick in there, too, and carry all our money, medical id cards, and credit cards. It's got a white cord, so it's not obvious around my neck. DH doesn't have to worry about taking his wallet, either.

We wear our cruise room cards on lanyards, so we are completely hands-free.

I'll only wear one if I'm at a Disney Theme Park and enjoying how every visitor is a great big tourist (If you're looking for tourist fashions, they'll be found at a Disney Theme park) or in the great outdoors. A fanny pack is great if you're sitting down and standing up lots.

How about a Wallet Bag that you can thread through as a belt when you need to and carry it as a purse while on-ship?

so NOW i will be laughed at ! :D

I have been searching for a waterproof fanny pack for when we go snorkeling to hold my DH's cigarettes , money and cards etc. HE can wear it ! :D

Anyone know where to find a waterproof one?

I have been searching for a waterproof fanny pack for when we go snorkeling to hold my DH's cigarettes , money and cards etc. HE can wear it ! :D

Anyone know where to find a waterproof one?

I found one here: http://snorkelcity.stores.yahoo.net/snorwatfanpa.html

I recently picked up a dry sack locally at one of our outdoor retailers to put our camera in for a trip to Hawaii. They had all kinds of choices of waterproof sacks/bags/etc. If you don't want to order one, you might find a fanny-pack type at a Cabela's or that kind of store.

Robin

if it's only belly down in the water when we are snorkeling lol.

And yes, he will look like a tourist, or i will, but I think anyone could figure that out in cozumel and grand cayman anyways lol.

Thanks to the poster for the link !

Sue

I would just like to add that I need to call my optometrist tomorrow.. first thing... due to the images that are being posted here.

The damage may be permanent.....

kalamari: "My own opinion on fanny packs is that they make you stand out as a tourist, and for a man, well, no offense but to me a man wearing a fanny pack is "the death of all masculinity". Menina

Thank you ....

Just when I thought it would not get worse I saw that.

I had to wipe the beverage I had in my mouth off the monitor!

But if you have a better idea to carry our stuff while we snorkel, then let me know LOL.

My DH is very masculine, and honestly he could care less if he looks like a tourist lol. :D

Archived