Dress Code for Chops on FOS

Chops and Portofinos both have a dress code of "smart casual". this is defined in the Cruise Compass as "sundresses or pantsuits for the ladies, sports jackets and trousers for the gentlement".

Hope that helps! Now I'm gonna sit back and watch this thread turn into the usual dress code flamefest:D

Both Chops and Portofinos are "smart casual". Just dress nicely--like you would if you were going to an expensive restaurant in your town!

I went to a very expensive restaurant in NY City and we wore jeans :) My BF even checked his sweatshirt, they gave us a look, but seated us, it was almost snowing and we were site seeing all day. But I would suggest something more formal.

Is a jacket a must for gents? :confused: Can he wear a nice shirt and slacks? Trying to not pack so much. He has a tux for the formal nights.

Yes, nice shirt and slacks are fine. It is very pretty in Chops on FOS and definitely a lovely dinner experience!

leaving certain jazzier suggestions aside, I just wanted to take a second to commend OP and AmyHood as well for demonstrating the class to ask ahead of time and showing the respect for fellow passengers to want to be dressed appropriately. There have just been such a non-stop series of heated dress code threads--and I engage in my share--that I saw this thread and found it refreshing. Thanks. And especially for AmyHood, whose circumstances are familiar and appropriate--bringing a tux, adding to the ambience at formal night as well as just plain enjoying the occasion to dress up, but at the same time trying to minimize the packing. So while the shirt and slacks appears to be fine, that looked like a posting from someone who, if informed that a jacket was really the most frequent level of dress, would have packed her DH's blazer as well (you just drape it over or under the tux jacket on the same hanger, for future reference!).

As for me, I'm putting my $ where my mouth is and since I need a vacation and want to wear t-shirts, and shorts, and at best a polo shirt--maybe--I'm off to Panama City Beach, Florida, the redneck riviera, instead of going on a cruise and then insisting that since I paid for my vacation why should I dress up on formal night or at Chops or Portofinos or at any dinner, for that matter. I shall take along my cruise books to read for the umpteenth time on the beach, and daydream about a better dressed week this coming November on the Radiance.

Excellent posts by all. I agree, take the blazer, its only one more item. I know the heat that has been generated by the dress code so it makes one reluctant to say anything. While the jacket may not be a must, it is certainly nice to go that extra step for the person you are with to futher enhance the evening. Think of Chops and Portofino as great date restaurants - live it up, do it right. There is nothing nicer than looking over at my husband who took the time to dress for the occasion. I am sure he feels the same when I put out the same effort to be more like a date than the wife he brought from home. It is also nice to have others around you that took the time to do the same. And as logan1 said, points to you for taking the time to ask the question and planning for a comfortable trip.

You know--I've never felt it took that much more energy to put on something dressy, as opposed to , say, a sundress, which is considered "casual". I know there are a few more steps involved in a suit or a tux, but, especially for women, there's no real difference in pulling on dressy slacks or a pair of jeans!

Everything today is so casual, it's nice to be able to show-off once in a while!

So true cb. I often think how much extra effort is done when dating (or to the extreme of having an affair) that is lost in a comfortable relationship because it just too easy to be casual (or maybe lazy). And everyone wonders why the spark left the relationship.

And to think this whole conversation started over the blazer?

Thanks for all the thoughtful replys and suggestions. My hubby wears suits when we dress up. I guess we may have to get a blazer for this trip. We are flying and trying to keep the weight down and trying to stay within the restriction. We were doing OK till we went shopping for our daughter's formals and I bet they wear about 20 lbs themselves. ;) We have decided that she will have to pack her gowns in a seperate rolling garment bag.:p

Hey Amy girl, we take one tux, but have done either one suit with different types of shirts or the blazer with several slacks so he can change up a bit. The blazer is the type he can also wear with jeans to a casual Friday work meetings so its not a bad investment, and it can be worn with khakies or trousers so it serves its pupose well.

Go have big fun! You will love both restaurants.

Archived