What happens if you can't tender into the Cayman Islands

LIFTED-D

I'm traveling on the Triumph in September and was wondering what does Carnival do if you can't tender into the Cayman Islands. Do they take you somewhere else? Where? Or are you out of luck and just spend another day at sea. If they take you somewhere else, I would like to look at private shore excursions to see what I could do there just in case. I'm traveling to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica if it matters.

Unfortunately, they don't take you anywhere different. In the past, they've just issued each person (not each cabin) a $25 credit on their Sail and Sign account. I know, I know. Small consolation for missing out on such a great stop. And this is probably one of the most beautiful places you'll ever see. Just pray for calm seas and clear skies.

Life goes on...

They might try to get you to the next port earlier and perhaps stay a little later, but with so many cruise ships, there are not many choices for alternate ports these days. In addition, whatever other ships would also skip GC would be in the sameboat, so to speak. Just not any real options other than a day at sea.

We were in GC last year on the Valor and the weather was rainy and windy. Most tours were cancelled so people went ashore to shop. When we came back it took multiple attempts to get along side the ship with the tender. It was way to rough. Given the experience I would stay on board if the situation presented itself again.

I'm traveling on the Triumph in September and was wondering what does Carnival do if you can't tender into the Cayman Islands. Do they take you somewhere else? Where? Or are you out of luck and just spend another day at sea. If they take you somewhere else, I would like to look at private shore excursions to see what I could do there just in case. I'm traveling to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica if it matters.

WE WERE ON THE CONQUEST LAST YEAR WHEN TS ARLENE WAS OUT THERE. THEY TOLD US ONE MORNING THE SEAS WERE TOO ROUGH TO GO TO GRAND CAYMAN AND WE WOULD PASS IT UP AND HAVE AN EXTRA SEA DAY. WE DID NOT GET A DIFFERENT PORT. ALL THEY DID WAS GIVE US $25 DOLLAR PER PERSON CREDIT ON OUR SS CARD. THEY COULDN'T GO TO THE NEXT PORT EARLIER BECAUSE OTHER SHIPS WERE SCHEDULED FOR THAT TIME.

Not meeeeeeeeeeee. I've cruised to GC a number of times and my ship has always been able to stop. One time the water was a little rough and all of the Stingray ship tours for all of the the ships were canceled - but the private one we had booked (and some others) went anyway. I had a great time and there were none of the cattle boats with their hoards of people a the sandbar. we also didn't need tender tickets since most people stayed on the ship it seemed.:)

So anyhoo - if you stop at GC and they tell you your ship tour was cancelled - run, don't walk to the tenders, and you can probably pick up the same or similar tour at the dock and save some money to boot!

On 7-6 the Conquest arrived in GC around 7. It was storming--raining and lightening. Around 7:30 they started tendering to shore. They cancelled the Stingray snorkels and sandbar excursion for 8. We tendered at 9:15 and the weather was still cloudy, sprinkling, but no lightening. Our 10:15 trip to the sandbar was lovely. Partly cloudy, warm but not hot. We had a great time. (Well....except for the part about our excursion boat catching fire on the way back, but that is another thread!!! LOL!)

The next day in Cozumel, we found out (as did the other cruisers on RCCL) that the RCCL --don't remember the name but it was the big one) did not let their cruisers tender into GC the day before. They sailed around towards COZ, but the folks did not get extra time in Coz--just the $25pp. Those RCCL folks at PB were MAD! I think the captain makes a best guess as to safety.

WE WERE ON THE CONQUEST LAST YEAR WHEN TS ARLENE WAS OUT THERE. THEY TOLD US ONE MORNING THE SEAS WERE TOO ROUGH TO GO TO GRAND CAYMAN AND WE WOULD PASS IT UP AND HAVE AN EXTRA SEA DAY. WE DID NOT GET A DIFFERENT PORT. ALL THEY DID WAS GIVE US $25 DOLLAR PER PERSON CREDIT ON OUR SS CARD. THEY COULDN'T GO TO THE NEXT PORT EARLIER BECAUSE OTHER SHIPS WERE SCHEDULED FOR THAT TIME.

Psst, Al and Lydia. Typing in all caps means that you are shouting and angry ;)

And $25 per person credit for something they have absolutely no control over? Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

There Is No Written Rule About Typing In All Caps. That Is People's Perception. I Can Type In Characters If I Want To. !@#$%&^*()@#$%^&*#$%^&*(. See! I Didn't Explode Or Anything.

Any Other Questions, Please Let Me Know. I Can Answer Them All.

I have a question, can you read?

http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm#14

Since they don't have to give you anything, I think $25/person is fine. Carnival can't control the weather and won't be responsible for risking lives and basically say so in their literature and on their website. I've told others on other boards that all caps is yelling and rude. It's also very, very difficult to read.

I have crusied to GC several times and have been lucky enough to never miss the port......it is a beautiful port and mainly the reason that I chose a ship. Anyway keep your fingers crossed and in the worse case you get extra money for drinks :)

Big_Duck - Thanks I needed that laugh :) :)

Not meeeeeeeeeeee. I've cruised to GC a number of times and my ship has always been able to stop. One time the water was a little rough and all of the Stingray ship tours for all of the the ships were canceled - but the private one we had booked (and some others) went anyway. I had a great time and there were none of the cattle boats with their hoards of people a the sandbar. we also didn't need tender tickets since most people stayed on the ship it seemed.:)

So anyhoo - if you stop at GC and they tell you your ship tour was cancelled - run, don't walk to the tenders, and you can probably pick up the same or similar tour at the dock and save some money to boot!

Mine too. I have never missed the Cayman's.

We missed GC last year thanks to Hurricane Dennis. While folks were disappointed, no one was angry or complaining - everyone realized even before it was announced that it just wasn't going to happen. We were able to dock in Cozumel at 8 pm the night before we were supposed to arrive (we have two gangway photos - one dated July 7 and one dated July 8) and we also received the $25 pp onboard credit.

• 4 weeks later...

We were on the Navigator of the Seas (RCCL) 2 years ago and the captain felt that the conditions were not safe for tendering, so we sailed on by. No replacement stop, no $ credit of any type, just an extra day at sea. The day we were scheduled to stop was sunny and beautiful. No unusual wind conditions. We were very surprised since the weather seemed so perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see how RCCL can get away with not crediting port charges for a missed port. Do they have to pay the port charges even if it is missed?

I agree the 25.00 credit Carnival gives is a refund of the port charges...not compensation for a missed port.

Just wondering of the people who missed GC...was it primarly during hurricane season? Has anyone missed this port in the winter months like Jan. and Feb.?

CaribbeanCrazy

Archived