"Fantasy Fest" in Key West???

Hughbud

Has anyone been to Key West during their"Fantasy Fest" held last 10 days of October. It is their version of Mardi Gra festival of costumes, floats, and homemade costumes of every strange, bizarre and beautiful concoction you can every imagine and then some. Thousands of people seemingly turn out for this day and night on-going party. We were planning to spend 3 days after our cruise in Key West until I found out this is going on. Wondering if we need to avoid all the crowds, is it as wild and crazy as it looks on their website, or do we just need to go and jump in and get crazy with everyone else? Cannot find a single hotel in Key West during this time. Totally booked. Checking at the other "Keys" before getting into Key West for something anywhere.

Please let me know if anyone has been to this and if we totally need to AVOID.:confused:

Hughbud

I doubt if there is a single room of any kind to be had in the keys. People book a year in advance. If you're serious about coming, reserve anything you can find. All the less expensive lodging is taken I'm sure.

It is even more crazy than you see on the web. To enjoy Fantasy Fest you need an open mind and a fun attitude. The main activites are Wed thru Sat. The big parade is Sat night.

We were there for the last day of the "mini" Fantasy Fest last December (it was rescheduled from October due to Hurricane Wilma). We were actually in Key West for a long weekend to celebrate our anniversary, but had so much fun at the parade, we came home and booked several nights at a bed & breakfast for this year's Fantasy Fest. It's definitely the most expensive time to visit Key West, but I feel like we got a great deal by booking so early.

Most of the places that have rooms available are very pricey -- some rooms are $400 - $600 a night! Almost every place will have at least a three night minimum, if not more. Depending on your arrival date, it may be nearly impossible to find much of any availability. You may want to give these people a call; they show available properties on their website, but it doesn't say for which nights.

http://www.vacationkw.com/fantasyfestrates.htm

• 5 weeks later...

Hubby and I have been to FF several times. It's always a blast. Not for everyone though. You should be okay with kids during the day. The wild and crazies come out after dark though. Lots of partial nudity. For the most part, everyone is well behaved. You need to check out fantasyfest.org and Google Fantasy Fest pictures. That will give you a better idea of what it's like.

We had reservations last year, but Hurricane Wilma had other plans! We are trying it again this October and staying at Sheraton Suites for the first time. We usually stay at Wyndham Casa Marina and have always been very satisfied. We just got a better rate at Sheraton this year.

Let your hair down and join the crowd and most of all ENJOY yourself!!

Our ship will be at Key West on Tuesday of Fantasy Fest. I am traveling with two boys, 12 and 14. Will this be woay over the top for them? I planned on Sunset Celebration and then basically back to the ship around 8-9 pm. Any thoughts?

Unless you're wanting your two young boys to get a serious education, I'd probably keep them on the ship during Fantasy Fest. My niece goes there every year and I've seen lots of pictures from the event. Costumes are extremely risque and skimpy. My niece is 34, so she's not a teenager or anything. Many of the female costumes are either topless, or nearly topless. I'm not a prude, but I'd be embarassed to be walking around with two pre-teen boys at this event. The pictures on the website don't begin to do justice to the craziness that goes no there.

• 3 weeks later...
Unless you're wanting your two young boys to get a serious education, I'd probably keep them on the ship during Fantasy Fest. My niece goes there every year and I've seen lots of pictures from the event. Costumes are extremely risque and skimpy. My niece is 34, so she's not a teenager or anything. Many of the female costumes are either topless, or nearly topless. I'm not a prude, but I'd be embarassed to be walking around with two pre-teen boys at this event. The pictures on the website don't begin to do justice to the craziness that goes no there.

That may be true, but it's only Friday & Saturday when there's a street fair. The rest of the week it's only crazy at night - late. If you visit on the Wednesday of FF week, that's when they have the pet costume parade & contest. It used to be at the Casa Marina, but I believe it's closed for renovations, so I'm trying to find out the new venue. We always leave work early to watch!

Okay, it seems we were both off a little.

The Casa Marina is open and The Reach is closed for six months while both undergo renovations.

However the Pet Masquerade and Parade has been moved this year to the Westin Resort (the former site of the Hilton Key West).

Is everyone throroughly confused now? Sorry, about that.

Mike:D

Okay, it seems we were both off a little.

The Casa Marina is open and The Reach is closed for six months while both undergo renovations.

However the Pet Masquerade and Parade has been moved this year to the Westin Resort (the former site of the Hilton Key West).

Is everyone throroughly confused now? Sorry, about that.

Mike, I just returned from Key West a couple of days ago (Oct 5) and wasn't sure the Casa Marina was open either. At least one wing is stripped down to the wooden supports. Not even dry wall can be seen. Maybe one of the wings is open, but I saw only about six cars in the parking lot and thought they might be employees' cars. Appearances can be deceiving, of course, but I wouldn't want to stay in the Casa Marina now.

Yes, the Casa is open (not that I would want to stay there during the renovations) and has plans to close in November after Fantasy Fest. Both properties should have been renovated long ago in my opinion.

How was your visit HeavySurf? Any memorable or not so memorable meals or events you would like to tell us about?

I live in Key West, so I can give you first-hand advise. You have nothing to worry about in the daytime. Fantasy Fest is mainly a night thing all week. The busiest nights are Thur, Fri, and Sat. Thur is toga night. Wear a toga to Sloppy Joes and have fun. The main night is Sat. Do not miss the parade. When the parade is over, people slowly get get drunker and drunker. So, depending on your patience, you may want to consider an early night.

All-in-all, Fantasy Fest is very safe. You'll see bare breasts and some other occasional body parts (usually from the people who shouldn't be showing anything). To avoid seeing an abundance of male parts, stay away from the 800 block of Duval St. Otherwise, I've never had or seen a serious problem. Around 1 or 2 a.m. you'll get your brief scurmishes in front of Rick's amongst the gangster wannabes.

If you're a late-nighter, the clocks always get turned back on Sat night at 2 am. It's always the last Sat in October. You get an extra hour.

• 1 year later...

We will be visiting on the Majesty on Oct. 23rd, Thursday. But we are scheduled to depart at 5:30, anything happening during the day on Thursday? Will Sloppy Joe's be active earlier in the day with partiers or are there any street parties during the day?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived