Why Does Everyone Seem To Have A Problem Staying On Topic?

Joedog

I have been reading the posts here off and on for a while and have noticed that frequently people provide answers to questions asked that really do not answer the question at all. Would anyone care to speculate why that is? Why people seem to have such a hard time just answering the question.

I am not asking this as a slam to anyone, but as a genuine question.

Anyone?

Because we are all human here and like to ramble on, gossip, tell you our problems just like you would do in a normal social setting of talking.

And you have to realize some topics are rather boring and it's our way of putting some pep into into. This is not a business here. We don't have to be formal in our writing. We mispell cause we don't have spell check or a secretary to go over our rantings. We type like we talk.

Did you remember to take out your trash this week and did you recycle before doing so? I had BBQ yesterday for the 4th and loved it but it was slightly overcooked and the sauce was too HOT!

The rains came and ruined everything but we had a wonderful time except those few people that showed up in something other than red white or blue.

They seemed to spoil the mood for others. And can you believe we provided the drinks and liqour and some had the gaul to bring their own coolers with their own brand of beer? What snobs! Does that answer your question?

Remember the game as a kid when you whispered something in some ones ear and you went round a circle and after several people later the last person would say what they heard. Well, it is kinda like that:)

Most of the time people comment on the last comment they read. It starts out on topic but then then next poster might add something else, then the next poster comments on that something else.

:o Just relax and enjoy the site. We have so much that we can learn from one another. I have seventeen trips around the world and I am still learning things.

Now enjoy yourself and make others happy.:D

I have been reading the posts here off and on for a while and have noticed that frequently people provide answers to questions asked that really do not answer the question at all. Would anyone care to speculate why that is? Why people seem to have such a hard time just answering the question.

I am not asking this as a slam to anyone, but as a genuine question.

Anyone?

I see two main reasons:

1. As mentioned above, some folks simply comment on what someone else commented - so once one person gets off topic, the rest do.

2. Some folks (probably those who get off topic initially) sometimes twist the original topic into something they can give a little sermon on - probably because they enjoy telling others how to act. Ever notice how some simple questions about clothes frequently ends up with "Ze must follow der rules" comments from a few here. And then as expected - a debate over "der rules" ensues

Joedog

I think a certain amount of "rambling" is a normal part of social conversation.

Actually, I find some of the "off the topic" comments quite informative and interesting.

Michael

Joe,

It's just normal person to person conversation. People are having a good time. Getting to know one another and learning. When the conversation flows people learn things they didn't even know they wanted to know.

Think of it this way. In a court room, the lawyers defense attorney's don't want their client's to ramble. They want to control every word so no new information leaks out. However, the prosecutor, encourages the defendant to ramble hoping for more information.

It's all part of the fun. We all learn so much in the rambling. If the questions were just asked and answered, there would be nothing to talk about and an avenue of discovery would be cut off.

So, read, particpate, learn and teach.

Linda

Because that would be too boring!!! :) hehehe.

In all seriousness, most of the people above have already answered the question in one way or another. The only thing I would add is that, oftentimes, the questions result in answers which leave much room for interpretation and which, themselves, often raise new questions -- sometimes only just remotely related to the original question. I don't consider this a negative feature of this form of communication; quite the contrary, the serendipitous nature of these threads is one of the media's greatest strengths!

Thanks for all the responses. I think I have a good idea now and I am relieved. I was afraid it was something more sinister like alien mind control. Of course, I am not completely throwing that idea out......

I was afraid it was something more sinister like alien mind control. Of course, I am not completely throwing that idea out......

But of course! All these cruise ships are just alien starships in disguise. :eek: We board the ship and the little Greys come out on the first night at sea, take us captive, and perform horrible experiments upon us while downloading fake memories of a cruise into our brains. :eek: The Carnivalians are in charge of the Carnival line, while the Celebritions control Brand X and HALikonians run HAL.

How's THAT for going off-topic??? ;)

Did you see that hand plastic surgery on the Today Show this morning. Wow!;)

No, but I watched a movie yesterday that I haven't seen for years with Harrison Ford, "The Fugitive". Have you seen it? Did you see the guy's hand who REALLY killed his wife?:eek:

:) I personally feel these people that can't stay on the topic are .... What were we talking about?

Oh yeah! At that barbecue F5loar. Were there any electric guitars there?, or were they all acoustical?

That's the answer to your question Joedog: Somebody says something that a following person feels he must comment on. Then the whole thing sometimes evolves into a brand new theme. Occasionally it's more interesting than the topic of discussion, initiating the original discourse.

:cool:

Rev, have there ever been any "abductions" from a cruiseship?

I have no idea. But ... wow ... that would make a great twist on a Twilight Zone Episode. :)

Thanks for the idea!

You are thinking of Tiny Tim, Groucho Marx and Arther Godfrey. Bill Monroe never introduced the uke into the realm of Bluegrass Music during his 75 years of development. Had he chosen the uke the power of a herringbone Martin guitar, a Gibson Mastertone banjo and a Lloyd Loar mandolin would have drowned out the sound of a uke so bad you wouldn't know it was there.

Joedog, are you a teacher? Reading this thread it suddenly came to mind. On the other thread you started about "ruined cruises", you really smacked us silly for getting off topic! No matter what everyone did, you steered us back. It was hysterical.

I think everyone is right. I mentioned the old game "telephone" on another thread. But the fact is, like any conversation, something reminds people of something else and so it goes.

In the end, it's all fun. But I've noticed sometimes people even forget we're talking about cruising!!!!!:rolleyes:

Heather,

I believe in the grander scheme of things we are all both teacher and student however, I take you to mean a teacher in the more conventional terms so, no, I am not.

I am in fact a high school drop out, retired from the Navy, kitchen cabinet salesman and curmudgeon in the making.

Of course all of that is off topic and not very relevant.

Archived