celebrity dining ? like freestyle? HELP

melika091900

Our friends book infinity 10 night alaska from SF .

she told me that her TA stated that formal nights are now optional on celebrity that they have changed their policy.. and its almost like freestyle ..( except not alot of resturants but has far as the dress) is this correct?

we went on celebrity in 03 and it was very formal.

any info id appreciate, im not sure if her TA knew what she was talking about and i wouldnt want them to go and then be told oh sorry you have to be dressed up..

thanks in advance

melissa

Our friends book infinity 10 night alaska from SF .

she told me that her TA stated that formal nights are now optional on celebrity that they have changed their policy.. and its almost like freestyle ..( except not alot of resturants but has far as the dress) is this correct?

we went on celebrity in 03 and it was very formal.

any info id appreciate, im not sure if her TA knew what she was talking about and i wouldnt want them to go and then be told oh sorry you have to be dressed up..

thanks in advance

melissa

Hi Melissa !

I think your friend needs a new Travel Agent :). Celebrity has not changed anything regarding Dining or Dress Codes. Dinner is still assigned seating, and yes, they do have formal nights. I am sure that what was told to you is not the case.

I can't see Celebrity going to freestyle or casual dining in the Main Dining rooms for the time being. When their new ships come out in 2 years, I would not be surprised to see at least a small part of the dining be freestyle. However, I am hoping for little to none of it. We love the way Celebrity has it now, and I truly hope it does not change too much in the coming years.

Celebrity is as formal as it ever was, perhaps even more so lately. On formal nights the passengers are expected to not only be properly dressed for dinner in the dining room, but to maintain their mode of dress throughout the evening all over the ship. If you don't want to dress formally, they will serve a casual alternative dinner in the buffet area for which they normally request that you make an advance reservation. There is also the sushi bar and I believe a pasta station available.

there is optional- more casual dining at night. Part of the buffet area is cordoned off and you must have a reservation there. It costs five dollars per person. They also have sushi, pizza, and pasta made to order in the buffet area if you want casual dining.

There is an alternate restaurant but it is just as formal as the main diningroom and comes with a 25 or 30 per person pricetag.

I agree with the other poster who says that they hope Celebrity doesn't change. Once free-style is introduced, you loose the family feeling of being on a grand Ocean liner. Instead the service becomes lackluster and there isn't the interaction with other passengers and familiarity with the staff- that makes cruising such a nice experience.

there is optional- more casual dining at night. Part of the buffet area is cordoned off and you must have a reservation there. It costs five dollars per person. They also have sushi, pizza, and pasta made to order in the buffet area if you want casual dining.

There is an alternate restaurant but it is just as formal as the main diningroom and comes with a 25 or 30 per person pricetag.

I agree with the other poster who says that they hope Celebrity doesn't change. Once free-style is introduced, you loose the family feeling of being on a grand Ocean liner. Instead the service becomes lackluster and there isn't the interaction with other passengers and familiarity with the staff- that makes cruising such a nice experience.

Well said. We did do the sushi restraunt one night of our last cruise ( we had the first really bad group of tablemates that we have ever had on a trip, only three civil people out of a table for eight --and two of them were us!)and found it quiet and very pleasant. Having said that, I completely agree that the more traditional type of dinner service, which is Celebrity's specialty IMHO, does make for a much more meaningful cruise. I have also found it interesting to share the day's fun with your tablemates and new friends.

That is, hopefully, if your tablemates are reasonable people and that's perhaps the best thing about cruising Celebrity, most of the passangers still seem to be reasonable and a lot of fun to be with.

Hopefully that doesn't change.

The Expedition, I believe, does not have formal nights. As that is currently Celebrity's newest ship, it might be where the TA is drawing the conclusion.

According to Celebrity's website, they still have three different evening dress codes, formal, informal, and casual.

Has the casual dining cost gone up? Last year on the Infinity we paid $2.00pp for dining there. Someone said that it is now $5.00. Is that correct.

Marilyn

Well said. We did do the sushi restraunt one night of our last cruise ( we had the first really bad group of tablemates that we have ever had on a trip, only three civil people out of a table for eight --and two of them were us!)and found it quiet and very pleasant. Having said that, I completely agree that the more traditional type of dinner service, which is Celebrity's specialty IMHO, does make for a much more meaningful cruise. I have also found it interesting to share the day's fun with your tablemates and new friends.

That is, hopefully, if your tablemates are reasonable people and that's perhaps the best thing about cruising Celebrity, most of the passangers still seem to be reasonable and a lot of fun to be with.

Hopefully that doesn't change.

But Ed. Not everyone reacts well to the free Prostrate exam you offer.

That might put them off a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

We have cruised on almost every major cruise line. We do not like formal nights for several reasons - we travel 2-4 weeks after the cruise and carrying around formal wear is just too much work and too cumbersome and we just don't like getting dressed up in formal wear.

Having said that, I realize that many people do enjoy this aspect of cruising and they should have it. That is why every other cruise line we have been on has alternative dining that they do not charge for or require reservations. $2 is ridiculous,it is the principle not the price. What will happen is some person who doesn't care, will decide to try to enter the dining room in casual clothes, there will be a scene and maybe they won't be allowed in but they will spend the restt of the night in casual clothes.

I have no problem with restricting the dining room to the formal nights for those who wish to partake, I am willing to give them up and the captains cocktail party etc. I chose Celebrity due to their itinerary and reputation. I will strongly object if I have to make reservations and pay that ridiculous price of $2 if it is imposed.

Just one persons opinion.

Do you find that the passengers get really dressed up on the Zenith? We are sailing in Oct. and my husband has not taken his tux lately instead prefering to pack his suit. Which would you suggest? My friends husband will give us trouble just dressing up at all so I would like to know ahead of time to encourage her how to pack for him. I of course will use this opportunity to wear my formal outfits that were bought for this purpose!

Sailing 5 weeks from today, but who's counting?

Vicki:rolleyes:

Yes, people really do get dressed up on Zenith. That said..I think if your dh wants to just bring a dark suit instead of a tux that will be fine. My dh wears a dark suit. I usuall wear a gown one night and a long cocktail dress on the second formal night. Men also need a jacket for informal night.

How many men really participate in wearing a jacket on the informal nights on the Zenith? I am so used to cruising where people get dressed up for the formal nights then chage into casual clothes after dinner and on informal night they dress usually about the same as they dress on the casual nights. Really want to know if we should be prepared for a more formal atmosphere.

Vicki:o

We have cruised on almost every major cruise line. We do not like formal nights for several reasons - we travel 2-4 weeks after the cruise and carrying around formal wear is just too much work and too cumbersome and we just don't like getting dressed up in formal wear.

Having said that, I realize that many people do enjoy this aspect of cruising and they should have it. That is why every other cruise line we have been on has alternative dining that they do not charge for or require reservations. $2 is ridiculous,it is the principle not the price. What will happen is some person who doesn't care, will decide to try to enter the dining room in casual clothes, there will be a scene and maybe they won't be allowed in but they will spend the restt of the night in casual clothes.

I have no problem with restricting the dining room to the formal nights for those who wish to partake, I am willing to give them up and the captains cocktail party etc. I chose Celebrity due to their itinerary and reputation. I will strongly object if I have to make reservations and pay that ridiculous price of $2 if it is imposed.

Hi, nobody is forcing you to tip the 2.00~it is printed in the daily

though..and so is the part about reservations. If you want to

go and try eat there without, I would guess, if there are seats

available they will seat you.

As for trying to get into the dining on a formal night in your casual

clothes..well, if you get a Maitr'd who allows you in, then you

will go...otherwise you will be denied:confused:

That is why every other cruise line we have been on has alternative dining that they do not charge for or require reservations. $2 is ridiculous,it is the principle not the price. What will happen is some person who doesn't care, will decide to try to enter the dining room in casual clothes, there will be a scene and maybe they won't be allowed in but they will spend the restt of the night in casual clothes.

You are entitled to your opinion, however the $2 is not a "fee" that they are emposing upon you as they do at the specialty restaurant. It is actually a tip for the waiters and busboys who work very hard in the alternative dining option. It is the tip that you would otherwise be giving to your assigned waiter and assistant waiter in the dining room (except it is less money per person). Please tip them! They work hard and deserve the money if they do a good job! Remember, much of their income comes from their tips!

Thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense now. I realize that most of the staff income is from tips and have no problem paying for the great service we always sem to get.

I also have no problem with the $2 tip as you explained. Thanks for the clarification.

I may add the waiters and and assistants in the Casual Dining are "In Training" to work in the dining room. These are people that work the buffets and other venues and want to move up to work in the dining room. They work very hard and I think $2 per person is quite reasonable.

This casual dining concept is great----you have a nice quiet area and can even get a table by the window and the food is good.

I enjoy the dining room, but I find it very noisy and after a night or two I want a break from it. But I always tip the waiter and assistant as if I was there every night.

I prefer to be flexible the more I cruise. Sometimes I don't like to be on a time schedule so I prefer to eat in different venues at the times I want to.

I won't do formal wear if I also add on a post-cruise vacation. I have a long cruise to Alaska next year and if I have a choice between a warm jacket or an evening gown the jacket wins.

We recently cruised on infinity and the formal/informal code was not enforced at all. We saw people in jeans in the dining room on informal nights and saw men without ties or suits on both nights. Nobody stopped them from entering the dining rooms which was a shame for everyone else who had bothered to dress up. We expecetd X to be very formal but sadly it was a mess.

It's been that way on Celebrity since before you booked your cruise. A subject as important as dining should have been researched more than it apparently was. Fact is on Celebrity the dining code is for the evening and not just the didning room. You may be restricted to more than the dining room if you are not dressed properly. I don't care what you wear but am just letting you know the POSSIBILITY exists that you may not be allowed in the theater or some other venue. Your other possbility is to eat your dinner in your room. Celebrity provides the same meals as in the dining room for room service. Only diffference is all courses are served at the same time unless in a suite. Should have done your homework prior to the cruise.

Pre or post cruise stays, especially post cruise: SEND the luggage home. VERY easy to do. The easiest and cheapest is the postal service. The hardest part is finding a box for the luggage (pretty easy in Europe and parts of South America-Chile and Argentina being easiest). Or if you want to spend the money- FedEx, DHL and UPS will all send luggage (FedEx and DHL, unboxed-UPS, unboxed only from certain areas).

I ship a LOT of stuff via the postal service from South America and Asia, where I travel frequently for business. South America usually shows up within 2 weeks. Asia in about 30 days.

"we just don't like getting dressed up in formal wear"

I would guess this is more the reason overall.

AS dkjretired posted, the dress code on X is for the entire evening, in all public areas, NOT just the dining room.

I certainly hope X enforces their dress code or my upcoming Infinity cruise will be the last on X.

Archived