Cruise director James Lay?

JAMESCC

The Crown Princess 7/11 was my first cruise and was very new to all the ins and outs of cruising. First I had no idea the cruise director was so visible. I thought it was just some guy in charge of setting up entertainment on the ship. Our cruise director James Lay was nice and i thought good but i have nothing to compare him or his job too. What do you experienced Princess cruisers think of James Lay? Also the lady second in command was nice but could be just a little bit over the top. Also the fact that James Lay is the cruise director on the Crown princess suggests he is the best one they have because hes on the newest ship. Is that correct? Thanks for the help sincerely JC

We have been on 9 cruises, our last was the Crown on 7/2. I thought James Lay was great - entertaining but not over the top, informative on his morning show but not too silly, present around the ship taking time to greet passengers along the way without showing the strain of his job nor being in your face goofy. I thought he was a wellbalanced cruise director!

We've been on four cruises and James Lay is the only cruise director I remember! He was great-especially in "If I Were Not Upon The Sea":) .

He's funny, but not "goofy". Every time we saw him onboard he said hello and asked how we were enjoying the cruise. The other CD's weren't nearly as visible.

Wish he was going to be on the Sun for our next cruise,

Lisa. (Bell?)

Must be Lisa Ball (big hair? :D ) who was also the DCD on Caribbean Princess when we sailed her twice. We really liked Lisa - she was personable, energetic, enthusiastic, highly visible throughout our cruises, and always eager and willing to answer questions or help passengers. Lisa will truly be an asset to the Crown.

Chris

Will his head ever swell now. If you ever see him ask him how 'Muffy and Captain One Eye doing'. we will be on the Crown next year. I had blast with him by putting false messages in the drop box. lol I am thinking of some new ways to get him with next. I really liked Graham Seymore, I thought he was the best. But you have to remember that I have a bent sense of humour. And yes that is how you spell humour lol I liked Lisa too. I wonder how she gets her hair dry?

Must be Lisa Ball (big hair? :D ) who was also the DCD on Caribbean Princess when we sailed her twice. We really liked Lisa - she was personable, energetic, enthusiastic, highly visible throughout our cruises, and always eager and willing to answer questions or help passengers. Lisa will truly be an asset to the Crown.

Chris

Yes, "Ball" - James made some VERY funny comment to her about her "big hair" in the If I Were Not Upon The Sea skit.

I wish that I could remember it, but it was FUNNY.

Some people have problems with James and I just don't get it. Found him to be personal, but not too personal. Told inside jokes, but not so inside you were lost, more like you were a part of it, and overall did a good job.

For the most part the CD does not make a bit of difference to me. Only had one problem with one. She was on the Sovereign and I shall not name her (RCI).

No one beats Graham...! :D

I miss him!!! :( I wonder if he is ready to leave RCI and come back home to Princess!! Now he was the best I have ever seen!! He did train James so that may be why James is well liked.

I gotta admit we can't get the song from their skit out of our heads! I don't want to ruin it for others but here is as close to a verse as I can get just to remind you who were on the ship how it went. The melody runs through my head constantly, much to the annoyance of my 17 year old especially since I can't remember the words! How wonderful was cabbie????? (beep-beep)

If I were not upon the sea

a black jack dealer me......

and this would be my song.....

hit him here, hit him there

21 or BUST

(I remember more but, again, don't want to ruin it for those who have yet to see it - hopefully it'll be enough to get your toes tapping if you did see the show)

When I was on the Grand a few years back, Graham was the CD with James Lay as AD and Lisa Ball one of James' assistants. Graham was the best.

The things that James and Lisa did back on the Grand are the same exact poolside games that I encountered on the Crown on the 6/23 sailing. I played back the video tape from the Grand and even their anecdotal comments are word for word. Also, the "If I were not upon the sea" with ballerina costume was a repeat. All this was enjoyable once but he needs to change things up a little. Or, maybe I just need to stay away from Princess.

If James is in charge of all entertainment, then he needs to stop restricting the bands from playing music of their choice. The pool band members told me that James dictates the songs that they play. They have no choice but to play Yellowbird, YMCA and many of the other standards everyday at the pool or at night when playing in the lounges. For every 10 songs they play, James dictates 8. How many times do we have to hear Macarena?

Yes, "Ball" - James made some VERY funny comment to her about her "big hair" in the If I Were Not Upon The Sea skit.

I wish that I could remember it, but it was FUNNY.

It was "mine's bigger than yours...", I believe. :D

I gotta admit we can't get the song from their skit out of our heads! I don't want to ruin it for others but here is as close to a verse as I can get just to remind you who were on the ship how it went. The melody runs through my head constantly, much to the annoyance of my 17 year old especially since I can't remember the words!

I absolutely love "If I Were Not Upon the Sea" and the whole Crew Show - it's undoubtedly our favorite show of the cruise when it's done. There's a book of the same title written by the wife of the Celebrity captain (the one that contributes to CC). It's pretty good.

Brian

The balloon fight was funny too. Do they do that on every cruise or was it just on the 7/11 sailing? I can't believe how much fun everyone had with those balloons. Also the Austrailan guy that through them out and was in the show as the Taxi cab driver could be seen all over the ship. Quite funny too. Anyone know his name?I thought he was from Austraila?

The balloon fight was funny too. Do they do that on every cruise or was it just on the 7/11 sailing? I can't believe how much fun everyone had with those balloons. Also the Austrailan guy that through them out and was in the show as the Taxi cab driver could be seen all over the ship. Quite funny too. Anyone know his name?I thought he was from Austraila?

We had the balloon fight as well. Was it Cameron?

Brian

We had the balloon fight as well. Was it Cameron?

Brian

Yes i believe that was his name. He was the Taxi driver in the international show. He had a great sense of humor. His taxi cab driver was funny. Also he could be seen all over the ship. He was everywhere. Those guys must work 14 hour days. All those people on the ship must work 14 hour days.

I agree with janetz that Graham was the best. We had him on two of our cruises, and thought he was fabulous. I'm so disappointed to hear that he has moved to RCCI. In November we'll be on the Crown and will get to experience James Lay as a cruise director.

Archived