Shrimp Cocktail

My MIL asks for it every night........on every cruise. We have cruised quite a few times together, and I cannot think of a time or ship that has ever refused her. Has she just been lucky?...........Wait, the last cruise that they were on, but not with us, on NCL............she couldn't get a shrimp cocktail every night, and was a bit disappointed!!:mad:

Rick

We sailed the AOS San Juan Eastern route in June. My 83-year-old father asked about shrimp cocktail on the first night. Every night thereafter our wonderful Rumanian waitress brought one almost as soon as we settled into our tables. One night, she brought him a baker's dozen. It was one of the highlights of a great trip. (If you'd like, my review is at: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=369932&highlight=Chase%27s+Dad

We were on the Navigator July 1-8. There were 5 of us in our party. We asked our waiter the first night if we could have shrimp coctail every night. He said to ask our Head Waiter. We did and it was served to us as soon as we were seated every night. And on the nights that it was on the menu, we got 2! Our waiters were wonderful and took very good care of us as you can see...

Sue

DS LOVES shrimp cocktail (he can easily go through a pound of shrimp when they come for dinner to our house) - not only did he get at least two orders every night, he once got an extra one for "dessert" (he's not a sweet eater)!

Hi

I had shrimp cocktails every night on Grandeur, and every night on Voyager last month in the med.

In the UK we have thousand island dressing on our prawn cocktails, I got thousland island dressing on Grandeur when I asked for it but not on Voyager, I got looked at like I was a freak.

Can anybody tell me why the shrimp cocktail is such a big thing?

If you had to pay for a shrimp cocktail at a normal resturant, it would be $6-$12. So for someone like me who loves shrimp, it's a big thing. If you are not into shrimp that much, you would probably ask questions like...."Can anybody tell me why the shrimp cocktail is such a big thing?" LOL

Daniel

Can anybody tell me why the shrimp cocktail is such a big thing?

I think shrimp cocktail is popular because it's a high touch service oreinted food - you don't have to peel the shrimp yourself and you don't have to make the sauce yourself. Also shrimp can be very expensive so most people don't buy them very often and hardly ever buy just enough for shrimp cocktail so that makes it special. It was my birthday treat when i was a little girl so it is special to me. Being from Louisiana I do like the good shrimp cocktail but I can tolerate the bad ones just for the fond memories.:)

Got them every night with no problem.:D

On the night we didn't eat in the dining room we alerted the waiter the night before so that he would not prepare them for us (even if he had, someone in our party would've eaten them anyway).:rolleyes:

I think shrimp cocktail is popular because it's a high touch service oreinted food - you don't have to peel the shrimp yourself and you don't have to make the sauce yourself. Also shrimp can be very expensive so most people don't buy them very often and hardly ever buy just enough for shrimp cocktail so that makes it special. It was my birthday treat when i was a little girl so it is special to me. Being from Louisiana I do like the good shrimp cocktail but I can tolerate the bad ones just for the fond memories.:)

I totally agree with your assessment.

Our dining-room waiter was awesome. He knew one of our tablemates loved chocolate and would often bring double or triple portions at dessert time. He also knew my GF loved shrimp so he would always bring extra portions whenever it was on the menu.

On the Mariner of the Seas, you have three options:

Do-it-yourself peel-and-eat shrimp at the midnight buffet

172398421_eb87cd2221.jpg

As an appetizer in the dining room

168712764_1dee6b99ab.jpg

As an appetizer in Chops

168713997_45bcb597c0.jpg

YUMMY.....you guys are making me hungry!! 2 of my favorites on RCI ships are the shrimp cocktail and the Ceasar salad!! (add the flourless chocolate cake, and I've got a great dinner! :D)

The waiters will cater to your "cravings" when they can. On one of our cruises, a family had a large table next to us (a 12-seat table, I believe), and every night as the family arrived, the waiter brought out 3 large baskets of french fries for them to munch on!!! We found it to be an amusing appetizer, but to each their own.

Archived