Turks & Caicos

There is another thread here talking about RCCl limited Ports of Call. Turk & Caco. would be a great choose very close to Florida cruise ports.

To answer it may be smaller docks limit the larger ships that RCCL has, however lets hope RCCL wakes up before they lose more passengers!

I am fairly certain that RCI would like to go there as well. However, the fact of the matter is that the dock construction was paid for, in part or in full, by Carnival Corporation. Therefore, Mickey Arison and Carnival Corporation controls which ships are allowed to use the dock. If you check I think you will find that only Carnival Corp ships are docking there. The chances of RCI being allowed to use the facilities are slim or none, and slim just rode out of town.:)

Keep in mind that the Carnival Corp. ships that go to T&C go to the island of Grand Turk, NOT to Provodenciales (Provo). Most of the Tourist areas are on Provo, which has NO cruise ship stops.

Actually, I've spent several weeks on Grand Turk Island, where the Carnival ships visit (my husband was working on a contract with their government at the time).

As 39august mentioned, it's really not the most beautiful of the Caribbean islands, IMHO. Its primary charm is the fact that it is so completely unspoiled and non-touristy. But anybody who is accustomed to staying at all-inclusive resorts, or even just returning to a cruise ship after a few hours' visit, would probably feel like they were living in the third world there.

However, there is absolutely phenomenal diving off of Grand Turk. The cruise ships dock on the opposite side of the island so you really can't see the 'wall', as they call it, from the ships, but it's definitely something worth seeing.

Anyway, if anybody has any questions or would like to see some pics, just let me know. :)

Could they not tender ? Build a tender dock and do it that way' date=' no interference with Carnival. I would like to go there aswell but do it with RC.[/quote']

There is really not much on Grand Turk. It has a population of about 3000 and can barely handle what is there. Think of it as another private island stop and you get the idea.

I was in Provo once when there was a cruise ship tendering. It is the only one that has ever done that and I have no idea what line it was. It had something to do with missing another port or something. I don't remember since i t was almost 2 years ago. We went parasailing that day and the boat guys were dying to go out to the ship to get more people to parasail, but they were not allowed to. Except for water excursions there is not that much to do on Provo but it has the most beautiful beach of anywhere I have ever been. If you want to go to T&C, just go to Provo and stay awhile.

Jackie

Could they not tender ? Build a tender dock and do it that way' date=' no interference with Carnival. I would like to go there aswell but do it with RC.[/quote']

I'm not privy to the details of the arrangement that Carnival has with the government there, but it would not surprise me if there were a clause giving them exclusive access to Grand Turk, and preventing RCI or any other line from building a tender facility. Whether they could bring guests to Provo may be another question entirely and it may also be something which the locals don't want to happen if it would detract from what they view as their specialness - the unspoiled beauty of their island. I have never visited Turks and Caicos but have heard some wonderful comments about it, mostly people who object to the overdevelopment and commercialization prevalent in other areas of the Caribbean.

There is really not much on Grand Turk. It has a population of about 3000 and can barely handle what is there. Think of it as another private island stop and you get the idea.

Well, I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. As I said, I spent several weeks there and I found it quite interesting. The native architecture is charming, there are some lovely little hotels and cafes, and quite a nice history, culture & natural museum. It is NOT overdeveloped or Westernized, so if that's what you're after, it's probably not for you.

But if you're into scuba, you really haven't dived until you've done The Wall!

You can check out the Grand Turk album at this link for a better idea:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/la.croisiere/my_photos

I've heard a lot about Turks & Caicos from several sources. I thought that Crown Princess was supposed to call there...at Grand Turk. I know that for a fact that it isn't only Carnival.

Princess is one of several cruiselines owned by Carnival Corporation and, to the best of my knowledge, only ships owned by Carnival Corp. have docking privileges at Grand Turk. Thus Princess, Seabourn, and HAL ships have it on some of their itineraries. The OP was asking why RCI didn't dock there.:)

Well' date=' I think that's a [b']bit [/b]of an exaggeration. As I said, I spent several weeks there and I found it quite interesting. The native architecture is charming, there are some lovely little hotels and cafes, and quite a nice history, culture & natural museum. It is NOT overdeveloped or Westernized, so if that's what you're after, it's probably not for you.

But if you're into scuba, you really haven't dived until you've done The Wall!

You can check out the Grand Turk album at this link for a better idea:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/la.croisiere/my_photos

Thanks for sharing your pictures:) It's definitely a place I would enjoy visiting....I can do without the hustle and bustle of REAL LIFE...I could relax with that laid back enviroment;)

We LOVE RCCL, but we are trying out Holland America, Westerdam, 10/29/06 cruise, and it stops at Grand Turk, and their private island, Half Moon Cay. We also have stops in St. Maarten and tortola. Looking forward to stopping at a couple "new" islands that we haven't been to.l I've seen many pictures of the beach, and Margaritaville at Grand Turk, and it looks fabulous. I can let you know how it is, and how HA is. Sorry is I am a traitor! We also booked NCL Pearl for it's new 9 night itinery in March/07, visiting St. Lucia, Dominica and Barbados to name a few more islands we haven't been to yet!

Thanks for all the responses. I guess if the wife and I want to go there, maybe we will just fly and stay. It sounds like its very quiet and good snorkeling. Thats right up our alley.

Also thanks for the pix ... they were very good.

Archived