Delayed Flight Missed Ship

Leona1

The first stop is CocoCay. It is only a 15 minute boat ride from Miami (one of the ladies on CocoCay told me so). Can she or RCI (they not obligated to) find a charter to CocoCay tomorrow? Even paying someone to ride on a supply run (can she cook for the crew :D ) would be an adventure!

P.S. Even if she lands by 3:30 what about her luggage! It'll be 4 pm before she can claim her luggage, how long of a taxi ride is it to the ship?

Since it's a 3-day, I would consolidate most of my luggage into the carry on, store the remaining luggage with the airline, if possible, and go for the gusto. I hope she didn't pack heavy.

'The earliest the flight will arrive in Miami is now 30 minutes before the ship leaves. There is no way she can make it. AA checked every conceivable option and there are none. They will refund her money completely.

I feel bad for her.

Leona

I believe there is some confusion here about her flight. I went to AA website and the flight was suppossed to leave Denver at 7:12am and arrive in Miami at 1:02pm. The flight was delayed leaving Denver by over 2-1/2 hours which puts the plane in Miami at 3:30pm. The flight number is 1860 for those who want to track it on AA website. If they checked in luggage, there is no way they can make the ship in time. If they have a carry-on, there is still a 50/50 chance if they run and catch a taxi to the port.

The people at Royal Caribbean said she can board at 4:30 not 4 as stated and if she calls and is on her way to the airport they will hold it a bit longer.

She is using a carry on so that is in her favor.

The question is if the plane really is taking off at 9:40 Colorado time as it is stated now on the AA website.

Leona

I used to think this too. But right here on CC I was educatedly differently. If you chose cruise air and transfers, the cruiseline just provides you a ticket and the transfer (thy may get the transfers to wait on you and if alot of passengers are just slightly late they may wait to sail) and that is all that they do. The rest is up to you and the airline and your insurance if any. Remember on the insurance you usually have to pay, file and then get reimbursed so don't max out those credit cards before your cruise.

I can look up the thread where this was discussed if you need to read it.

Interesting. When I was making our cruise arrangements earlier this week, we asked about delayed/cancelled flights. The rep assured me that if we booked through RC, they would get us to the first port of call and pay for all travel/hotel expenses in the meantime.

I think they have a chance since RCCL gave them a number to call to say they are on they way from the airport - hopefully they will have one person get the luggage, another get the cab ready... They hold ships 15 min or a half hour all the time... We saw several last minute arrivals at our two cruises last year and we held hoping for a tractor trailer that was late also...

I think they have a chance since RCCL gave them a number to call to say they are on they way from the airport - hopefully they will have one person get the luggage, another get the cab ready... They hold ships 15 min or a half hour all the time... We saw several last minute arrivals at our two cruises last year and we held hoping for a tractor trailer that was late also...

She has a carryon so the wait for luggage does not exist and cabs are plentiful at Miami airport.

I will keep everyone posted as to how it turns out.

I do hope all goes well for your friend and she makes her cruise.

Jim, it is nice of you to come back and ask for forgiveness. It's not good for your health to get so upset over things you have no control over.

I know, though, that it is annoying to read total misinformation, I see it here all the time on CC. Especially when people state that the ship will wait for you if you are delayed, or they will assist getting you to the next port of call. They may try, if you happen to reach that one nice person who doesn't have a lunch break coming up.

Hi, I found the thread that talks about what the cruiseline can do for you if you have booked airfare thru them:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=370879

Basically, they will not pay for transportation to the ship at a later port if your original flight is delayed. I think this is a common misconception.

hoping for teh best for Leona's friend!

That situation described a return flight after the cruise though. :shrug:

(I'll continue reading through the thread...)

You have the right to speak up, especially with facts. Unfortunately, some will throw it against the wall and see if it will stick. "This board is for information", not misinformation.
Everybody appreciates getting the facts. And usually the right attitude will help those facts stick! ;)

Wow, are there many people with this kind of temper working in the airline business?
Hey, I've been an air traffic controller for over 26 years and have one like that.

Now, where's my valium? Got to get to work;) .

She has a carryon so the wait for luggage does not exist and cabs are plentiful at Miami airport.

I will keep everyone posted as to how it turns out.

Leona,

I hope she makes it!!!!!!! Hoping to come back later and read a good report of how she made it to the ship on time and is enjoying her cruise. :)

We took a cruise on Mariner this past April and didn't get there until the 4th day due to mechanical problems on our plane. I had purchased the air through RCI thinking that it was spring break and a very busy time for flying and cruising and RCI would get us to the the ship if there were any problems. This is not true. RCI was of no help and told me it was the airline's responsiblility. The airline did work very hard at getting us to the ship but worked just as hard to help those cruise passengers that didn't purchase air through the cruise line. I will never purchase air through RCI again. The cruise insurance came in very handy to cover food and extra transportation.

The first stop is CocoCay. It is only a 15 minute boat ride from Miami (one of the ladies on CocoCay told me so). Can she or RCI (they not obligated to) find a charter to CocoCay tomorrow? Even paying someone to ride on a supply run (can she cook for the crew :D ) would be an adventure!

P.S. Even if she lands by 3:30 what about her luggage! It'll be 4 pm before she can claim her luggage, how long of a taxi ride is it to the ship?

Given that it is about 140 statute miles from Dodge Island (Port of Miami) to Little Stirrup cay (CocoCay), that boat would be going about 560mph!

IS WRONG!

Airlines do not cancel to combine!

Don't make stuff up! Have you ever worked in crew scheduling? Flight scheduling? Etc???

Airlines are flying RECORD load factors! I defy you to find half empty flights!

Where do people pick up uninformed misinformation like this!!!!!

PS...I only spent 20+ years in the airline industry....

Just a question for you. If they cancel the flight, what do you think they do with the equipment? Put it on a truck and drive to to the next city to save fuel?

If you ever looked at one plane's flight schedule, you would see the complexity of cancelling a flight segment.

Wow, why are you yelling. I have had flights canceled because they were underbooked - they combined the flights because the were also underbooked for the return and didn't need to fly the plane back and for un-necessarily. These flights I'm talking about aren't major routes - ORD to GRR - but they sure don't fly empty or near empty planes for nothing - not these days. They will only fly them if they need them at the other hub.

I see you already asked for forgiveness. I just wanted to get my experience with canceled flights, due to underbooking, on the record.

Argghhhhh,

I am going to have to set my watch to check in and see if she makes it. Your poor friend!!!

Flying in the same day is sooo tough. We are lucky here in NoVa, as there is a direct flight from Dulles to Miami at 6:00am. Even if it gets delayed by SIX hours, we could make the ship in plenty of time.

I am sending GOOD MOJO to your friend!!!

T

"If the flight was booked through RCCL, she has nothing to worry about. The cruise line will get her to the ship."

Don't count on that. We flew air through NCL to hawaii and had a huge delay for our connection in California. We made it to the ship along with an entire busload on our flight. NCL told us on the bus if we had arrived 1/2 hour later we would have been out of luck and would have to find our way interisland to the next port. First and only time we used cruise air. Now always fly in a day early.

Archived