World's Largest Cruise Ship a Shared Honor

You could be right but unless a large number of you are willing to take that step, RCI isn't going to change its ways. As far as the west coasters I meet onboard, you are correct that I obviously can't meet those who won't fly, but as long as there is a sufficiently large contingent of west coasters onboard every week, why should any cruiseline worry much about those people that they aren't attracting or speculate as to their reasons? Businesses respond to hard numbers and until you can provide them, talk about all those who won't fly east is easy to ignore.:)

I can certainly see your point, but I would hope that a cruiseline, like any good business, would constantly be worrying about those potential customers they are failing to attract.

For now, I guess we'll just have to be content w/ flying and racking up frequent flier miles....:)

Eric...........do you invision a Voyager class ship to take over for the Monarch? As you know, she goes out, almost full.......to full, twice a week.........and is one of the major money makers for RCCL, as the Sovereign is on the other coast.

Rick

I think that is a very realistic posability. If and when RCI does decide to replace some of the Sovereign Class ships they will replace them with ships that have a higher passenger capacity. The only ships that have a higher cappacity are the Voyager and Freedom class ships. I think it would be very wise of RCI to put some of there Voyager class ships on short 3-4 day itineraries.

Evidently you and several others don't make up the majority of West coast cruisers as I always find a large contingent from there onboard any cruises I take out of Florida or elsewhere on the East coast. I understand your feelings of disappointment but am merely trying to point out one reason that RCI may not feel an urgent need to change things. If that reluctance were as widespread as you would like to believe, they would take steps to address it.

Carnival can see it. They have one ship here year-round as well as a second ship in the winter. The cruisers are here... RCI just can't see it since Carnival has a monopoly... and not everybody wants to cruise Carnival because of their get drunk reputation. :rolleyes: RCI also is not the one sitting in a group of cruisers at work who talk about the availability of ships and what they would sail if it were here. I would assume RCI would like for people to pay them money rather than pay it to the airlines. There are many people who consider the ship itself the destination. I know people who would GLADLY give up Carnival's one water slide attempt at recreation to have a rock wall, skating, golf, etc...

With 4 out of the 10 largest US cities being within driving distance from California departure ports, the are more potential West coast cruisers out there than you think.

but... I believe we are getting off-topic here... so back to normal programming. :p

Would you like to translate please!!:D

Would you like to translate please!!:D

The busy fall-season of the dock began moving Liberty to wet dock this friday. The dock is empty a record short time while building of Color Line vessel starts next tuesday.

Freedom of the Seas, the largest cruise ship, is getting her sister ship finished the next spring.

Harri Kulovaara says that: The ship is 60% ready and we are on the schedule (with an hour variance). Building the second ship (of a class) is always easier.

They are happpily surprised that the new Flowrider onboard Freedom is such a success. (queue-problem is being solved right now)

after the Liberty RCCL is receiving one more Freedom-class ship from Turku the year 2008

Kulovaara says trhat the thought process between the teams in Miami and Turku have already been focused on the next (worlds largest) ship - Genesis, which will be ready in 3 years and 8 weeks from now.

... A ship (Liberty) is worth abt 600 million euros..

My gosh, so many experts on the RCCL thought process.................must be insiders! All I know is that when I cruised the Adventure of the Seas in February, the crew had a meeting and were told that RCCL was planning to eventually position the Adventure in California for Mexican Riviera Cruises. When or if this will happen, I can't say. Things and people change in the business world and there are a lot of considerations, apparently (dry docks, channel depth, etc). But it showed me that RCCl was at least thinking of deploying a Voyager-class ship there, so the concept must have merit. Since a Voyager-class ship could cruise the Mexican Riviera year-round, it would only need one trip around the horn to get there, regardless of the width of the Panama Canal. I certainly would take the cruise, even though I would have to fly from the East Coast.

I don't think that most of us doubt that RCI has considered and continues to consider bringing a Voyager ship to the West Coast. In fact RCI officials including Captain Bill Wright said that very thing while on the Freedom pre-inaugural cruises a few months ago. However, as you yourself noted, there are a lot of issues that have to be dealt with before such a move is made, among them drydock issues, moving the ship from the East coast to the West coast, etc. The question is when such a move might be made and it appears that it will be later rather than sooner. Don't have to be an insider to come to that conclusion. Only have to listen to and read comments from RCI itself.:)

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the West Coast market would support a Voyager class ship. We have switched to Princess for our Mexico cruises................along with many others who like the idea of cruising without flying.................as the Princess ships are newer and bigger. If Royal Caribbean had a bigger/better ship we most certainly would cruise with RCI. There's alot of West Coast cruisers who I'm sure would agree with me.

The question/ request has been raised many times and RCCL's official answer is that they would like to position a larger ship on the west coast but are unable to until dry dock facilities exist that can service a ship of that size should the need arise with little notice. We were on the Freedom in June when the question was raised and the Captain confirmed that response.

I have heard within the recent weeks that the Panama Canal will be expanded. I'm pretty sure the dimensions haven't been released, but do you think a Voyager Class ship to the West Coast could be more plausible if the Canal is expanded? I understand that this massive project and will take years to complete. Do you think RCI might consider putting a Voyager Class ship there if this happens? With the newer and much larger ships being built all of RCI's ship can't stay in the Caribbean, right? Or are there THAT many people interested in cruising from Florida? Thoughts?

Derek

I question the ability of the West Coast to support larger ships? I receive many mailings for different cruises and the prices for sailings from the West Coast are ususally much less expensive then from Miaimi or the North East. I understand that it is not an issue of population or income but perhaps cruising is not as desirable of a vacation option to West Coast residents.

I question the ability of the West Coast to support larger ships? I receive many mailings for different cruises and the prices for sailings from the West Coast are ususally much less expensive then from Miaimi or the North East. I understand that it is not an issue of population or income but perhaps cruising is not as desirable of a vacation option to West Coast residents.
Or maybe its the fact that we are stuck with a ship that may be seen as less desirable.

Archived