World's Largest Cruise Ship a Shared Honor

Per a stockholder email of the press release of 8/4/06:

'World's Largest' Cruise Ship Title Soon To Be Shared Honor

Royal Caribbean International Floats Out Liberty of the Seas Growing The Freedom Family

MIAMI, Aug. 4 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --In less than a year, Royal Caribbean International's Freedom of the Seas, the cruise ship holding the title "world's largest," will have to share her designation with her new younger sister. With her hull now complete, Liberty of the Seas, under construction at Aker Yards in Turku, Finland, reached an important maritime milestone today when she was "floated out" -- moved from dry dock to wet dock -- for the final months of finishing work leading up to her May 2007 debut.

(Photo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20060804/FLF008 )

At official ceremonies held at the shipyard, Royal Caribbean executives, Harri Kulovaara, executive vice president, Maritime; Lisa Bauer, senior vice president, Sales; and Alice Norsworthy, senior vice president, Marketing, and Yrjo Julin, president for Aker Yards Cruise and Ferries, assisted by an exclusive group of Royal Caribbean's travel partners, turned the valve releasing 87 million gallons of water into the wet dock area.

Freedom of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas will hold the dual title of largest cruise ships at sea, weighing in at 160,000 GRT and holding 3,634 guests double-occupancy. Among new programs and onboard embellishments yet to be announced, amenities on Liberty will include the popular innovations already found on Freedom including the FlowRider® surf simulator; the wet and wild H20 Zone aqua park; cantilevered whirlpools, suspended 112 feet above the ocean; an ice-skating rink; a boxing ring; and the 1,215-square-foot Presidential Family Suite, which sleeps up to 14.

"We are pleased to announce that Captain Hernan Zini will command the newest addition to Royal Caribbean's fleet, Liberty of the Seas," stated Kulovaara. "Most recently serving as captain of Grandeur of the Seas, Captain Zini brings with him a passion for nautical adventures and appreciation for modern ship engineering and innovation."

Kulovaara added, "We created Freedom based on guests' wishes and demands and there are so many things to do, see and experience, that it allows cruisers to escape and have the freedom of choice. It's a terrific time for our brand and we look forward to introducing Liberty of the Seas to returning guests and first-time cruisers."

The two ships in Royal Caribbean's new Freedom class, to be joined by a third in 2008, will alternate between 7-night Western and Eastern Caribbean itineraries, Liberty departing on Saturdays and Freedom on Sundays from Miami. Both itineraries will bring guests to the Royal Caribbean's private destination, Labadee, Haiti, before returning to Miami. In addition, Liberty's Western Caribbean itinerary calls in Cozumel, Mexico; George Town, Grand Cayman; and Montego Bay, Jamaica; while the Eastern Caribbean itinerary calls in San Juan, Puerto Rico; and Philipsburg, St. Maarten, allowing for a third day at sea to take advantage of all the ship has to offer.

Royal Caribbean International is a global cruise brand with 20 ships currently in service and three under construction. The line also offers unique land-tour vacations in Alaska, Canada and Europe through its cruisetour division. For additional information or to make reservations, go to http://www.royalcaribbean.com or call (800) 327-6700.

SOURCE: Royal Caribbean International

CONTACT: Tracy Quan, +1-305-539-6577, or tquan@rccl.com, or Lyan Sierra- Caro, +1-305-539-4091, or lsierracaro@rccl.com, both of Royal Caribbean

Perhaps someday the PR types will get it right.

The two ships mentioned do not weigh 160,000 tons (each). The 160,000 figure is Gross Registered Tonnage, a measurement of interior volume!

Some cargo ships are listed by Dead Weight Tonnage, some naval ships by Displacement Tonnage, and passenger ships usually by GRT.

as it state she takes on folks Saturdays in Miami & Freedom keeps Sundays. So she is doing East & West? No mention of where Freedom is going, maybe S Pacific??? YEAH!

Does anyone know where this ships home port will be? Any chance Liberty State park NJ will be the home port? I would live to see this thing up close.

as it state she takes on folks Saturdays in Miami & Freedom keeps Sundays. So she is doing East & West? No mention of where Freedom is going, maybe S Pacific??? YEAH!

Where do you come up with these things? :confused: Freedom and Liberty will both sail out of Miami doing alternating eastern and western itineraries. Liberty will sail on Saturdays and Freedom on Sundays. I hope that their press release has finally eliminated your professed doubts about a third Freedom class ship being built. The third Freedom ship, if I were to hazard a guess, will most likely be based in San Juan and sail an itinerary similar to the Adventure's, but it would be far more likely to base it in Port Liberty than to have it sail the S. Pacific.:eek:

Where do you come up with these things? :confused: Freedom and Liberty will both sail out of Miami doing alternating eastern and western itineraries. Liberty will sail on Saturdays and Freedom on Sundays. I hope that their press release has finally eliminated your professed doubts about a third Freedom class ship being built. The third Freedom ship, if I were to hazard a guess, will most likely be based in San Juan and sail an itinerary similar to the Adventure's, but it would be far more likely to base it in Port Liberty than to have it sail the S. Pacific.:eek:

I also would not rule out the third Freedom ship maybe going to Pt. Canaveral. IMHO they could fill the new ship there much easier and with higher fares than they could in San Juan. I also agree with you about Port Liberty and the south South Pacific...:)

South Pacific - never happen. Simply not enough demand for a ship of that size. South Pacific cruises are usually longer and more expensive and won't generate a large enough passenger base for a Freedom class ship.

Let me second the bet on Port Canaveral for the 3rd Freedom class ship. The port can accommodate a ship of this size and the RCCL generally is able to get higher occupancy rates for higher fares than they are able to generate on the Adventure out of San Juan. Also, consideration must be paid the ports of call. I am not sure the Southern Caribbean ports are real conducive to the size of a Freedom Class vessel.

As that is some bad mood.............

No mention of Freedom in the press release other than sailing on her Sunday since her debut, but I'll take what you are passing out. Genesis will take 2 years to build as we were told at Anker in Helsinki. So a 3rd ship will be in the way as it should be started yesterday to move next August. No talk of it as yet. As Radiance class was to have 2 more built & they were axed for Voyager class. As per a press release months ago stating Freedom would switch to East while Liberty did West. To me a waste with the circle of ships in the Caribbean......

No mention of Freedom in the press release other than sailing on her Sunday since her debut, but I'll take what you are passing out. Genesis will take 2 years to build as we were told at Anker in Helsinki. So a 3rd ship will be in the way as it should be started yesterday to move next August. No talk of it as yet. As Radiance class was to have 2 more built & they were axed for Voyager class. As per a press release months ago stating Freedom would switch to East while Liberty did West. To me a waste with the circle of ships in the Caribbean......

RCI has a contract for the third Freedom class ship. It states in your press release above that a "third" Freedom class ship will join the fleet in 08. RCI had the option to build two more Radiance class ships but did not excerise this option and dropped it. The Voyager class ships were being built before the first Radiance class ships. I think that you need to go and brush up on your RCI history a little.;)

No mention of Freedom in the press release other than sailing on her Sunday since her debut, but I'll take what you are passing out.

huh? :confused:

The two ships in Royal Caribbean's new Freedom class, to be joined by a third in 2008, will alternate between 7-night Western and Eastern Caribbean itineraries, Liberty departing on Saturdays and Freedom on Sundays from Miami. Both itineraries will bring guests to the Royal Caribbean's private destination, Labadee, Haiti, before returning to Miami. In addition, Liberty's Western Caribbean itinerary calls in Cozumel, Mexico; George Town, Grand Cayman; and Montego Bay, Jamaica; while the Eastern Caribbean itinerary calls in San Juan, Puerto Rico; and Philipsburg, St. Maarten, allowing for a third day at sea to take advantage of all the ship has to offer.

Let me second the bet on Port Canaveral for the 3rd Freedom class ship. The port can accommodate a ship of this size and the RCCL generally is able to get higher occupancy rates for higher fares than they are able to generate on the Adventure out of San Juan.

I'm wondering if having Explorer run out of the NE is a test to see how well they can fill the big ships up there. My bet is similar to yours, but maybe they'll keep the newest ships in Miami and bump Freedom to Pt Canaveral or Bayonne. Ahhh, 'tis fun to speculate!!!

T

I'm wondering if having Explorer run out of the NE is a test to see how well they can fill the big ships up there. My bet is similar to yours, but maybe they'll keep the newest ships in Miami and bump Freedom to Pt Canaveral or Bayonne. Ahhh, 'tis fun to speculate!!!

T

That would be cool. I would love for the Freedom ship to come to NJ. I'm also greedy and would love for the new Genesis ship to come to NJ or NY. I just want to see that giant ship when its done in 2009. They better make another Documentary for Discovery channel. It would be a shame to build such a revolutionary ship without a Doc.

I'd love to see a bigger and better ship on the West Coast. :)

Amen to that! Vision is getting long in the tooth and they need more Mexico sailings when she is up in Alaska, Carni-mal owns the market during the summer which sucks big time.

Genesis won't sail until 2009. Two years of construction means that they will begin construction, next year, 2007 by which time the third Freedom ship will have been floated out making the construction site available. Liberty has been floated out and construction of the third ship can begin. It has been explained to you in the past, that RCI and Akers have a firm contract to build the third Freedom class ship. They only had options to build additional Radiance class and decided not to exercise those options. There is a big difference between firm contracts and options, and until you are willing to recognize that difference, you can continue to believe that a third Freedom won't be built, but you will continue to be wrong. Akers has been in the shipbuilding business for a long time and I count on their expertise to insure that ships will be built and delivered as contracted for and on schedule. Their success rate has been very good to date and so there is little reason to doubt them when they say they can deliver the third Freedom ship in 2008 and the first Genesis project ship in the latter part of 2009.

The most recent press release was primarily intended to announce the floating out of the Liberty which is why there is only a passing reference to the Freedom. A previous press release, and you can find their press releases on their website, deals with the changes in Freedom's itineraries after Liberty starts sailing. The two ships will do alternating Eastern and Western Caribbean sailings. Check out the RCI website and you will see those itineraries for yourself.

Since the Caribbean still holds the greatest attraction for cruise passengers, it is only good business sense that they base their newest and largest ships there. As the fleet expands, they are adding new itineraries, but the Caribbean remains their major center of operations. In the spring and summer months however, they reposition ships to Alaska and Europe, so fewer of their ships are in the Caribbean at that time. When, and if, they decide to open up new itineraries, they will do it with their older and smaller ships until they can build a market that would justify their using larger capacity ships.:)

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the West Coast market would support a Voyager class ship. We have switched to Princess for our Mexico cruises................along with many others who like the idea of cruising without flying.................as the Princess ships are newer and bigger. If Royal Caribbean had a bigger/better ship we most certainly would cruise with RCI. There's alot of West Coast cruisers who I'm sure would agree with me.

so we can enjoy the ship while at sea. Caribbean is port intensive & overkilled in my book. Just about every RCCL ship does it. Then goto Bermuda & be a hotel at sea. Those that want to climb the wall, skate, surf, ice skate if its too hot for them, or just sleep can do so or tender to the island & enjoy what they have to offer.

I enjoy a great ship & what it offers, and would love a week's cruise to nowhere to enjoy it as we whisk by on sea to feel the air blowing my hair & making me chilly as I rise from the pool to catch more sun.

That's why I have let RCCL know we could have a great cruise from San Diego or even LA to the S Pacific. 5 days at sea to enjoy what we have to play with without rushing as we do on a W Carib cruise. Then the 3-4 lovely islands & fly home from Papette. Very relaxing too.......

Archived