Purse recommendation

I love Vera Bradley bags. They are a quilted-type style and come in a variety of patterns. They have tons of sizes ranging from small clutch to large duffel. I use the backpack style and mostly use just one of the straps. When I go to the mall or other crowded places where I'm afraid of it getting taken (a woman's nightmare), I use both. If you do a websearch for Vera Bradley, you'll get a lot of online shops that sell it at discounts. I've got the maison blue pattern and I use it for every day casual all the way to with my church clothes. It's very fashionable, but lightweight which is what you are looking for. They are pricy ($80 for the one I have, but I got it at 30% off sale) but I've had it for the past 2 summers. I also have about 6 other pieces. When they need to be washed, I just so some Woolite in the sink or spot wash. ~Kim

For casual/everyday wear I carry a small microfibre/nylon type purse with shoulder strap - it is pretty small (which precludes stuffing it with everything but the kitchen sink! :D ). It is the type with a built in 'organizer" so I don't need a wallet - just keep the few credit cards/ID I need to travel with & cash in front zip pocket area - and cellphone, makeup, gum, tissue etc in 2nd/back zip pocket area. I like it cuz I can also wear it across shoulder/tummy if I want to (more secure that way) and it is very lightweight. I got it in black and use it as my everyday travel purse - I don't think it was very expensive maybe $20 (made by Jaguar).

Hope this helps! :cool:

P.S. I also have a dressier black small microfibre purse made by Jaguar which I use w/evening wear - very convenient - just slip a few necessities in and I'm ready for anything - small enuf so I can dance with it if I have to and don't need to leave it anywhere unattended!

When I travel I prefer to carry a purse with a cross body strap, and have recently started carrying a sling type black backpack (not a full sized back pack by any means) that is actually rather fashionable to my pleasant surprise!

I LOVE Kate Spade bags, but the ones I have are not big enough to hold my camera and things that I will need to carry around on vacations.

Check out ebags.com for a HUGE selection of purses and backpacks

If you live near a Kohl's you may be able to find something. For Fall/Winter, I use a heavy black leather Coach handbag that DH gave me when I turned 40 :) , but for Spring/Summer I like something lighter-weight and more summery too. I got the prettiest summer bag at Kohl's, it was about $15, and has a weathered straw look with subtle coral & green Caribbean-looking flowers on it. It also has a pouch for a cell phone inside. Now would be a good time to take a look 'cause I think all of the stores are starting to sell off their summer things to make way for Fall (even though it's only July...).

Kim ~ yes, don't you just love the Vera Bradley bags, etc.? I have a few of the pieces, and one of my favorites ;) is the blue paisley garment bag. I even through it in the wash (on gentle cycle, of course ;))

I recently bought a Carlos Falchi bag. It's leather, but light as a feather - it's made from deerskin which is also very sturdy. It has two inside zippered compartments and then two "open" compartments (the top closes shut w/ hidden magnet). Also inside is a comparment for my cell phone as well as a metal hook to hang my keys on. Now I never have to search for either.

I just love this bag and it's extremely light, comfortable to carry, holds a good amount of stuff and sits on my shoulder nicely - doesn't slide off.

The style is called "doctor's bag". I bought it in Sak's and I know his bags are also sold in Neiman's. Carlos Falchi is a well known company so they probably also sell stores like Macy's, Nordstrom, etc.

I have it in pale pink (has a beautiful magenta colored lining) though I saw it available in other colors as well.

I hope he continues to make this style again in the fall as I'd love to have it in black. It's one of the best bags I ever had in terms of use and comfort. Also, I get compliments on it *every* time I use it.....great styling, good leather and a very pretty color.

Jane

Jane - how much did you spend on that Carlos Falchi bag? Those little numbers go for as much as $800 or more from what I've seen. They may look cute, but I honestly think that most of us are not able to spend that kinda of money on a purse. $75 or so on a purse is pretty much my limit - and for that kinda money it better be a nice one. Compartments are a must - and for me - it HAS to be leather. I don't care for the frilly-silly looks, the Vera Bradleys are simply not my style - too lightweight and not functional enough.

My current bag came from Wilson Leather, and it has compartments for everything - I never have a problem finding anything in that bag. And it closes completely!! I hate these bags that when you bend over for something, or the bag falls off a seat, everything dumps out! Grrrrrr.....!!!

Ideally I'd like to have my current one in about 4 different colors!

My favorite is nylon bags by Hillard & Hanson, come in different colors and some patterns and a varity of styles. I get the next to the largest one with a nice long adjustable strap so I can wear it accorss my body for saftey reasons.

I get them at Mervyn's and they are usually on sale. Also the toss into both the washer and the drier and come out great.

Lorna

My mom got a great Nine West Purse at Foley's about 2 months ago that came with a cell phone cover, coin purse, and a wallet. It was really nice, she loves it and I plan to get one this month. I don't know if there are any that are all leather, but there probably is. Hers is a black microfiber (great stuff, nearly impossible to ruin) and leather handles.

Natalie

I used an LL Bean fabric shoulder bag. I also carried my $$ and id in a waist pouch that was under my cloothes. Many people, including my hubby ,had there pockets picked or bags and cameras stolen. Be very careful. I also carried some cash in my bra. I was fine. Many people were robbed.

I've gotten a couple of microfiber purses made by Kenneth Cole and Nine West. My current one (KC) has a pocket for my cell inside, and lots of space. I'm not really a Vera Bradley type, but I see a lot of women with those bags.

I really beat up my purses, so I have to get new ones frequently (like right now). I don't buy leather and pleather doesn't hold up as well as microfiber; it's great stuff. :D

>>>>>Jane - how much did you spend on that Carlos Falchi bag? Those little numbers go for as much as $800 or more from what I've seen. <<<<

The Carlo's Falchi bags are not as pricey as many of the other big designers. My bag was $450. but I bought it for 20% less with a coupon. I've been wearing it about 4 days a week for a few months now and it looks like I bought it yesterday. I don't buy a lot of bags, I probably have fewer than most people here. So although I spend a lot on each one, I probably don't spend that much more overall.

>>>> $75 or so on a purse is pretty much my limit - and for that kinda money it better be a nice one. Compartments are a must - and for me - it HAS to be leather. I don't care for the frilly-silly looks, the Vera Bradleys are simply not my style - too lightweight and not functional enough.<<<<

I've never heard of Vera Bradley, but you're right, there are leather bags out there for $75.00 I'm sure you'll find a nice one.

>>>>>My current bag came from Wilson Leather, and it has compartments for everything - I never have a problem finding anything in that bag. And it closes completely!! I hate these bags that when you bend over for something, or the bag falls off a seat, everything dumps out! Grrrrrr...!!!<<<<

I'm also not familiar with Wilson Leather, but I agree with you about stuff falling out. If a bag doesn't close properly, I won't buy it. A bag has to be extremely functional and fabulously styled before I buy it.

I don't know if Coach has bags for less money at ports. My guess is that since it's an american company, probably not.

However, they do have an outlet store in Key West (at least they did 3 years ago when I was there).

If you have a specific bag in mind, perhaps you could call the outlet store and see if they have it. It's worth a shot.

When I was there, I got a gorgeous pair of sandals there for $25. that retailed in the regular stores for $150.00.

Jane

:) Oh HappySingle Mom......I saw a BEAUTIFUL Red Leather bag..by Wilson at the Consignment Store I shop at.....if you have seen my photos below, there is a long black formal dress I purchased at this same store for $30.00:D

Anyway.......even at the consignment store...this bag was more than I was wanting to spend:rolleyes: ....I might think about it again though....

Oh My Gosh....the leather feels sooooooo good. The color of the red just amazing....and it was a nice size bag too...a bit larger than I usually wear...but I have to tell you...the look of it was awesome.

I know the "Wilson Brand" they make luggage...well made stuff too.

I only had a minute in the store the other day....I may go back on Saturday and see if it is still there.....and I have a 15.00 credit on the books with them (I consign as well as purchase). So it would be 15.00 off:) the price she charges...hmmm........

Anyway.....right now I have a microfiber bag I got at Target....and I realized a couple of weeks ago...it is just a bit too small....need to find something else....soon!

Lois,

You sound just like me! I like the expensive things, but don't like to pay the prices! Go back and get it! I love red!

I found an outlet mall in Orlando that has a Coach store, so think I will try there. I like the nylon/microfiber fabric!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Barb

FYI, I found a great Nine West bag at Dillard's this evening for $19.99. It's one of those with a cell phone case and cosmetic bag included. They had them in black, brown, bone, pink, etc.... there were even some Sak purses on the $19.99 table.

Natalie

Archived