San Pedro California or Long Beach

mattR

Definately stay in Long Beach. There is only one hotel in San Pedro, and while I'm sure its nice enough, there is nothing to do in San Pedro. The terminal is in a bad area, there are only illegal immigrant families down there.

Long Beach has a choice of several hotels, and lots of restaurants and shopping. Stay near the Pike, which is a center filled with restaurants, shopping, movies, etc. It is also right next to the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Queen Mary.

I live in nearby Palos Verdes. Enjoy your cruise.

Actually there are several nice hotels in San Pedro and I highly doubt that every person in the area came to this country illegally. You are correct in saying there is not much to do in the area however. If the stay is only for one night and you are sailing from the Port of Los Angeles you would definitely be just fine staying in San Pedro, and if you have a rental car or cab fare you could just take the 10 minute ride over to Long Beach for dinner.

If you are going to have a day or two before the cruise then I would recommend Long Beach as there is lots to do there from the Aquarium to the Queen Mary to the shops, etc. It's a nice area to walk around and there are nice hotels there. As I mentioned earlier, I stayed at the Hyatt. On weekends, it is about a 20 minute drive from the port in San Perdro and you can easily take a taxi from the Hotel over to the port or other transporation.

San Pedro has the advantage that it is right near the cruise ship terminal. And, yes there is more than one hotel there. If you are getting there the night before your cruise and have nothing really planned then you could consider this. The hotels around there tend to be older than what you find in Long Beach and there is not much to do in the area. So, I think it's biggest advantage is it's close proximity but we do prefer Long Beach over San Pedro and we have stayed in San Pedro before.

Keith

We stayed here in January and it was very convenient to restaurants and other attractions. We got the Super shuttle at the airport for $17/pp to the hotel and then had a shuttle arranged thru the cruiseline for the port. The hotel was recently refurbished with very nice & comfortable bedding and clean rooms. We would stay here again!

Hi Matt:

I am basically going to repeat I recommendation I made on a similar thread:

I just stayed at the Coast Hotel a couple of weeks ago, which is right on the Long Beach waterfront and only a short walk from the Queen Mary and your cruise departure point. (I happened to be there for 10 days as part of a convention.) The corporate website is: www.coasthotels.com. If the website says they are full, you can always call them direct: (562) 435-7676. Besides being walking distance to your ship, it takes about 15 minutes to walk across the bridge to "The Pike," where there is a large selection of restaurants. On the other hand, if you don't want to or are not able to walk that distance, there is a FREE shuttle bus called the Passport Bus that runs between the Queen Mary and downtown Long Beach; this bus also stops at the Coast Hotel. The Passport bus runs about every 15-20 minutes. Anyway, I do recommend the Coast; it is a "better" hotel, has a decent 3-star restaurant, and offers excellent views of Long Beach.

Have a great cruise! :)

Paul

We recently made reservations at the Holiday Inn (downtown) Long Beach for a two-night pre-cruise stay. Just had information that that particular Holiday Inn is not in a very good part of town and is very run down. Do you or anyone else have any information on that hotel?

Need help soon!! Thanks

Definately stay in Long Beach. There is only one hotel in San Pedro, and while I'm sure its nice enough, there is nothing to do in San Pedro. The terminal is in a bad area, there are only illegal immigrant families down there.

Long Beach has a choice of several hotels, and lots of restaurants and shopping. Stay near the Pike, which is a center filled with restaurants, shopping, movies, etc. It is also right next to the Aquarium of the Pacific and the Queen Mary.

I live in nearby Palos Verdes. Enjoy your cruise.

I just hosted a convention for work at the Renaissance Hotel in Long Beach. Outstanding customer service, great food, affordable, nicely redone rooms, the most comfortable beds. My attendees rated this hotel a 4.8 out of a 5 (and this group is hard to please)

This is a Marriott property and is right on the corner of Ocean and Pine. Pine Ave is "restaurant and entertainment row", the Pike is across the street, Shoreline Village and Aquarium are about a 5-10 minute walk. There is a shuttle bus system in downtown Long Beach called the Passport (it's free) and takes you all over. There is a stop right in front of the Renaissance Hotel and the bus comes every 5-10 minutes.

I highly recommend checking out this hotel.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in San Pedro and it's a wonderful hotel. When you pull up you think this does not look impressive but wait until you get inside. Awesome. Full of beautiful antiques and very stately. The rooms were very comfortable and the restaurant serves very good food. Anyway, you'll only be there 1 night so unless you plan an early arrival you won't need too many places to visit. They have a van that will take you to the port for about 15.00 a couple. We made reservations a few months before our cruise and the price was great.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in San Pedro and it's a wonderful hotel. When you pull up you think this does not look impressive but wait until you get inside. Awesome. Full of beautiful antiques and very stately. The rooms were very comfortable and the restaurant serves very good food. Anyway, you'll only be there 1 night so unless you plan an early arrival you won't need too many places to visit. They have a van that will take you to the port for about 15.00 a couple. We made reservations a few months before our cruise and the price was great.

The Holiday Inn, now a Crowne Plaza Holiday Inn, offers a great package for those flying in to LA. For about $200 you get transfer from the airport to the hotel, a room with a king sized bed, champagne buffet breakfast, transfer to the ship, transfer from the ship upon return to the airport.

O.K. I am flying into Long Beach airport on the day of cruising out of San Pedro. Does anyone know what would be the best transportion to the ship; taxi and the cost, or a shuttle if there is one from the Long Beach airport to San Pedro and the ship. I live near Sacramento so can do this. Thanks

Marilyn

Archived