Tipping ....other than cash?

BigAft

We have always tipped the recommended amount or (more) in cash or via the automatic deduction, however, in the past we have handed out 60 min. phone cards as well.

I understand the crew now has the ability to buy them at an extremely low price from the cruise line so that in now not an option.

I am wondering what else we can give to the room steward, waiters, etc ( in addition of the cash) for outstanding service.

Any ideas?

Larry

On our last Alaskan cruise we went to the local cyber cafe where one hour internet cards were $5 and were MUCH appreciated by the crew, we were told that the ships charges for that were not low for crew and the stations were always crowded so they tended towards using the ones in town.

Quite honestly, if you choose to give something more, I really think "more cash" would the most appreciated, particularly for staff who assist in supporting family back home.

I would go for the "more cash." If they want additional phone cards or internet cards they can purchase them with the more cash. Otherwise, they can do what they want with it.

I agree that the crew would appreciate more cash other then anything else. I have heard of many people giving phone cards etc, but the crew I have talked to about it said they would have rather had the $$$ instead.

Look at it this way.....how do you feel when your boss gives you a turkey for a Christmas bonus? Wouldn't you really rather have the money and if you wanted a turkey you could go buy one?? :D

Cash all the way.....it's what they want the most.

Of course, any polite person will say they just love your "gift" but what they really like and is exactly what they want is CASH. It is tough enough to try to guess what close friends like for gifts, let alone total strangers. While I know it is not true in each case, giving anything other than cash for a tip seems rather "cheap"

Fair winds

Dave

from the musical: Cabaret

Money makes the world go around,

the world go around, the world go around,

it makes the world go round.

A mark, a yen, a buck or a pound,

a buck or a pound, a buck or a pound,

Is all that makes the world go around,

that clinking clanking sound,

Can make the world go round.

If you happen to be rich, and you feel like a night's entertainment,

You can pay for a gay escapade.

If you happen to be rich, and alone and you need a companion,

You can ring ting-a-ling for the maid.

If you happen to be rich and you find you are left by your lover,

Tho you moan and you groan quite a lot,

You can take it on the chin,

call a cab and begin to recover on your fourteen carat yacht.

the world go around, the world go around,

of that we both are sure.

(Raspberry) On being poor.

When you haven't any coal in the stove and you freeze in the winter

And you curse to the wind at your fate.

When you haven't any shoes on your feet and your coat's thin as paper

And you look thirty pounds underweight,

When you go to get a word of advice from the fat little pastor,

he will tell you to love evermore.

But when hunger comes to rap, rat-a-tat, rat-a-tat, at the window

See how love flies out the door.

For money makes the world go around, the world go around,

the world go around.

the clinking, clanking sound

of Money, money, money, money,

Money, money, money, money,

Get a little, get a little,

Money, money, money, money,

Mark, a yen, a buck or a pound,

That clinking, clanking clunking sound

is all that makes the world go round,

It makes the world go round.:) :) :)

Cash is the way to go. If you want to do a little bit extra, bring along postcards from your hometown or homemade cards so you can write a thank you note to go along with the cash, or perhaps get some prints of photos of your waiters to give them so they can send them home.

• 2 weeks later...

of course cash is the way to go. if the recipient would rather have a phone card, then they'll buy it. nobody should get their hopes up that because you're giving something other than cash, the recipient will value it more, even if you would - in fact, more than likely, they'll value it less, because there are strings attached to how it can be used.

I've read about people giving Walmart and Target gift cards - why? you are forcing someone where to go use it? I cannot understand for one moment why someone would give a gift card to go shop at his own favorite outlet or something which they think is unique - when the cost is the same as giving cash and cash is obviously the most easy to use. it's just a tip - they did a good job, you are rewarding them, and by the end of the next week I will guarantee that most of them will have forgotten about you.

On our last Alaskan cruise we went to the local cyber cafe where one hour internet cards were $5 and were MUCH appreciated by the crew, we were told that the ships charges for that were not low for crew and the stations were always crowded so they tended towards using the ones in town.

Great idea. And the cyber cafe is 3 times faster. Time is money :)

Steveo

Archived