Proper attire in dining room

doninla

Wow...I never noticed before that jeans aren't allowed in the Lido.

I don't forsee that ever being enforced....atleast I never saw anyone get turned away from the Lido. I never wear jeans anyway, but what an interesting policy.

I've worn jeans and tee-shirts several times ... on various HAL ships ... in the Lido during evening hours. Not a word was said to me and there were plenty of others dressed likewise.

What's the purpose of having your dinner in the Lido if you can't dress casually? I thought that was the whole idea of dining in that venue, as opposed to the full service dining room?

Now, where you will have a problem ... especially on a formal night where you choose to dine casually in the Lido ... is with your after dinner activities. HAL defines the evening's dress code as being not just for the dining room, but for all public decks, throughout the evening. Therefore, if you choose not to "gussy" up on formal night and just eat at the Lido, you theoretically will not be able to engage in other after-dinner activities on the public decks where the dress code is in force; i.e., the show lounge, Ocean Bar, Explorers Lounge, etc. Thus, you'll have to confine yourself to the Lido Deck for the evening, or just spend it in your cabin. HAL is unique in this respect, as many of the other mass market lines denote the evening's dress code as being for the dining room only. On those lines, you may not be able to go into the dining room dressed casually on a formal night, but you are certainly free to take in a show or sit in one of the lounges after dinner in your casual wear.

Blue skies ...

--rita

isnt that a contridictory (sp) statement -- you wore them for dinner but yu also say they should not be worn in the d/r in the evening

I believe there was some discussion of this subject in the recent past ... and it was found that HAL had changed the dress code for casual nights to permit jeans in the dining room. Didn't someone determine that the word "jeans" had been removed from the list of prohibited clothing on casual nights?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I believe there was some discussion of this subject in the recent past ... and it was found that HAL had changed the dress code for casual nights to permit jeans in the dining room. Didn't someone determine that the word "jeans" had been removed from the list of prohibited clothing on casual nights?

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yes Rita......just scroll back to my post and Grannynurse's.:)

Quote: "Thus, you'll have to confine yourself to the Lido Deck for the evening, or just spend it in your cabin."

I guess that's why there is a set of stairs just outside the entrance to the dining room so you can sneak back to your cabin without being seen?

What surprised us was the "Prinsendam", which usually are the longer cruises, we saw lots of Jeans in the D.R. on casual nights...We saw one Gentleman who wore his Jeans every night except formal night when he had a TUX on..We usually don't notice who has what on, but because it was such a small ship, we saw the same people every night..

Dress Codes and more to the point - The lack of enforcement are one of my pet peeves. BUT, then I believe that every night should be a Formal - Tuxedo Mandatory in the Dinning Room :rolleyes:

Maybe in the dinning room, but hopefully not in the dining room!

More to the point, we'll be on our first HAL cruise in December. While we prefer 24/7 country club casual, a la Oceania, we'll comply with HAL's formal night requirements with tux, gowns, etc. We just returned from a Princess Alaska cruise, where formal nights were somewhat of a joke. Some men wore polo shirts under their sport coats - upon being seated, they promptly removed their jackets. And many passengers immediately changed to very informal clothing right after dinner. I hope to see better enforcement on HAL.

Mike

We are cruising to Alaska on HAL for the first time. Our last cruise was a 14 day Mediterranean cruise on Windstar, and prior to that, on Cruise West, and with Abercrombie & Kent in France.

Passengers on our prior cruises were willing to pay top buck for a unique cruise experience. The ages were primarily 30's to 60's. None of the cruises had strict dress codes, and the Windstar advertises their cruises as "casual dress." However, due to their affluent audience, we did not see people inappropriately dressed at any time. No tuxedos, few suits, but sport jackets, collared shirts, pants outfits or a cocktail dress for women. On the France cruise, we were barging through the countryside in Burgundy, and it was very cool in the evening. Sweaters & slacks were appropriate in the evening, even on board. Same for Cruise West--it was a casual style boat and active itinerary.

First, the cruise lines want to appeal to those who can and will pay top dollar for the experience. And more often, this means they are appealing to busy, professional people who want to put away the business suit or tie on vacation. It doesn't mean they will be dressed sloppily or wear jeans everywhere. However, I can say that most of the men I spoke with met on Windstar mentioned the "casual dress" as one of the factors that steered them toward Windstar.

So it's a matter of economics--if the cruise line wants to maintain the pretense of "formal" evenings, they will turn off a lot of folks who have had their fill of "business formal" dress in everyday life, and want a break from that all. I don't think the cruise lines can afford to do that, or want to play "dress police" on board.

Secondly, some of the destinations are decidedly casual and require special clothing to participate in shore excursions. For instance, the Alaska cruise will require that we pack rain gear, heavier shoes or boots and layering garments. These are bulky items. With the airline restrictions on luggage dimensions, weight, carryons, etc., I think the cruise lines realize that people can't drag steamer trunks onboard nowdays to hold all their finery plus the essentials they need to participate fully in the cruise experience.

I'm planning to wear black knit slacks, dressy tops for dinner on HAL. My spouse will bring his bespoke silk blazer and gabardine slacks, a couple custom made dress shirts and a couple ties. Once he realizes that he doesn't have to wear the jacket and tie in the Lido, we will probably be there every night. We never wear jeans to dinner, but I have no problem with those who do as long as they are clean and in good condition. What someone else wears won't reduce my enjoyment of my meal, as long as it's appropriate for a dining room, which appears covered in HAL's printed literature.;)

Passengers on our prior cruises were willing to pay top buck for a unique cruise experience. The ages were primarily 30's to 60's. None of the cruises had strict dress codes, and the Windstar advertises their cruises as "casual dress." However, due to their affluent audience, we did not see people inappropriately dressed at any time.

First, the cruise lines want to appeal to those who can and will pay top dollar for the experience. And more often, this means they are appealing to busy, professional people who want to put away the business suit or tie on vacation. It doesn't mean they will be dressed sloppily or wear jeans everywhere. However, I can say that most of the men I spoke with met on Windstar mentioned the "casual dress" as one of the factors that steered them toward Windstar.

Ditto for Oceania, which happens to be our favorite cruise line. Crystal would be our favorite except for their formal nights and fixed dining schedule.

We'll obviously go with the flow on our upcoming HAL, schlepping a tux and a couple of gowns half way around the world, but if we had our "druthers".....

Mike

I agree with Nanette in that the Troll remark wasn't appropriate. The OP's question was very legitimate and reasonable, and for the most part we've deal with the question and subsequent discussion very well.

Just as an observation, however, Craigster-diver has not been a frequent poster on the HAL board. Of his/her's posts, only 9 have been on HAL or HAL-Roll call boards. Most (74.2%) of their CC posts have been on Princess and Carnival related boards. While remarks like Craigster-diver's might well frighten some people off, I dare say they are not reflective of the board. While we sometimes get argumentative here, I've not noticed a practice of labeling people "trolls."

I agree with Nanette in that the Troll remark wasn't appropriate. The OP's question was very legitimate and reasonable,.....I've not noticed a practice of labeling people "trolls."

In my own defence, for those who might care.....

As an occasional poster but frequent reader of the HAL threads it seems to me that there are a select few topics that seem to get most everyone all worked up and shooting flaming arrows around. Dress code on HAL ships seems to be the #1 controversy.

As a frequent internet discussion board participant on a variety of topics ranging from scuba diving to motor cycles to cruising to photography...etc, I'm a firm believer in using the "forum search" tool. Personally, I try to avoid asking questions that in all probability have been asked before.

The OP'er, while possibly quite well intentioned and honestly inquiring about the appropriateness of jeans in the dining room, did manage (on only their 4th post on-board) to hit the #1 button on the board. Use of the "search" function could have saved an awful lot of wasted key-strokes.

We're all entitled to an opinion, and in my humble opinion, the OP had my "troll-dar" (like radar, only better), beeping on overload. While I did perhaps label the post (OP) as a troll, I did not disparage the poster (OP'er). Some days a spade is a spade, even if held by a prince.

The whole thing is kind of like a bumper sticker I saw in the '80s: "Nuke the unborn, gay, whales for Jesus" -- in just one statement almost all the controvercial topics of the day were tossed out for public discussion. I thought the OP was a clever attempt to hit all the sore spots on this board with one bullet.

Rev........ you've got to loosen up a bit. We all know there are lies, damn lies, and then come statistics. Wouldn't have guessed you to descend to the 3rd level of damnation quite so rapidly in order to make a point.:D

Ciao all,

Craigster

Craigster-diver, glad you took the opportunity to express your explanation. Now I hope that you will continue to post on this HAL board. We need new & varied opinions.

IMO, it does not matter if someone picks a hot topic in an attempt to stir the pot. And I am not in any way indicating that the OP did so. In fact, the OP started an informative thread on a hot topic & the posts remained civil. Just because someone "starts" a topic that in the past has become nasty, does not mean that such behavior needs to continue. Let hot topics come & go. Let's respond & give our opinions in a civilized adult manner. In that way, no poster is chased away & the board & we all benefit! :)

As an occasional poster but frequent reader of the HAL threads it seems to me that there are a select few topics that seem to get most everyone all worked up and shooting flaming arrows around. Dress code on HAL ships seems to be the #1 controversy.

I agree with you.

As a frequent internet discussion board participant on a variety of topics ranging from scuba diving to motor cycles to cruising to photography...etc, I'm a firm believer in using the "forum search" tool. Personally, I try to avoid asking questions that in all probability have been asked before.

Again, I agree with you. However, sometimes one can be confused by what one reads and/or sometimes one just wants to get direct input unique to a given circumstance or situation. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt in such matters; In short, I don't consider it productive to slap someone around for asking a question that has been asked 2-dozen times before. Nor do I suspect someone of nefarious intentions just because they chose a "hot topic." If someone is KNOWN for contrariness on a topic, and yet keep posting threads and questions dealing with it, I may suspect them of intentionally pushing buttons. Such was not the case (nor the result) here.

The OP'er, while possibly quite well intentioned and honestly inquiring about the appropriateness of jeans in the dining room, did manage (on only their 4th post on-board) to hit the #1 button on the board. Use of the "search" function could have saved an awful lot of wasted key-strokes.

While the OP hit the "#1 button on the board," my own observation of the thread was that, for the most part, it had survived with civility and quality posts. I rejoice when I see this ... it gives me hope that we can post on the "hot topic items" and still behave like ladies and gentlemen.

We're all entitled to an opinion, and in my humble opinion, the OP had my "troll-dar" (like radar, only better), beeping on overload. While I did perhaps label the post (OP) as a troll, I did not disparage the poster (OP'er). Some days a spade is a spade, even if held by a prince.

Even if your "troll-dar" was going "whup whup whup!" why cause a stink where one was not underway? Slapping that particular label on someone can tend to have that effect.

The whole thing is kind of like a bumper sticker I saw in the '80s: "Nuke the unborn, gay, whales for Jesus" -- in just one statement almost all the controvercial topics of the day were tossed out for public discussion. I thought the OP was a clever attempt to hit all the sore spots on this board with one bullet.

Quite possibly. But, again, it would appear -- at least to me -- that if such was the intent, it had failed. Why draw attention to it when the thread had progressed fairly well even despite the appearance of "trolldom"? That was my objection.

Rev........ you've got to loosen up a bit. We all know there are lies, damn lies, and then come statistics. Wouldn't have guessed you to descend to the 3rd level of damnation quite so rapidly in order to make a point.

FOFLMHO. Yes ... I desperately need a cruise. October 7th won't come quick enough for me.

As for my little statistical note ... NoNoNannet and I have "history;" she and I do not share a common opinion regarding many of the people who frequent this board. When I make a point which she is likely to contradict, I generally like to lay a few pro-active booby-traps (multi-leveled pun-intended ;) ). My statistical observation was a mild attempt in that direction. My point was that YOU have not been a frequent poster on this board, hence even though her disagreement with your labeling the OP was well-founded, her evaluation of the situation and what it showed of the HAL board in general was misplaced.

Oh ... and welcome to the board. I agree with twoatsea in that fresh opinions, POVs, and experiences are always welcome.

No way did the post sound like a troll. Trolls don't usually respond later on why they asked the question and why she felt jeans might be ok in the dining room. You might want to read through the entire thread to see her other posts.

Your Tro-dar needs calibrating.:)

sm.0005.gif

Ok....I give up !!

Apparently my cynicism of all things internet (well founded, based on other experiences on other boards :rolleyes: ) may have unintentionally besmirched an innocent bystander. I'll do the honourable thing and fall on my literary sword (not my literal sword).

To the OP'er and this community I offer an appology.

Some days, so it seems, a spade is not always a spade ...... and what's a spade in some communities is not always a spade in others.

I am booking myself into "cultural rehab" this afternoon and after significant re-conditioning I trust that the lenses through which I see the world will return to their usual rosy colour.

Let the electroshock therapy begin......

Craigster

ps: Rev, thanks for the classy example of how to mix humour with biting wit. You're a beacon of a Deacon.

Craigster,

No need to "fall on your sword," friend. But I greatly appreciate -- and seek to imitate -- the attitude! It's an excellent example.

Rev, thanks for the classy example of how to mix humour with biting wit. You're a beacon of a Deacon.

:D Thank YOU. You put a great big smile on my face.

I haven't been a deacon in about 15 years. To quote jack Lemmon from "Mass Appeal" -- "being a deacon was a great big pain in the a$$." :D And, like kidney stones, "this too shall pass."

Nice thoughts , Craig. :)

I can somewhat understand your original conclusion. While I didn't think the OP was a troll, my first thought was "Oh no, here comes a 200+ post flame fest!" I almost posted that fear right after the original post, but I held back and was suprised it was for the most part a pretty civil thread.

Now that we know where to wear and not wear our Jeans...

(and yes, I do occasionally wear them in the Dining Room on Casual nights)

When, Oh When will HAL and the other lines make it known where it is and is not appropriate to wear bathrobes? Maybe they could sew a little tag in the collar or post a little hang-tag on the hanger letting folks know that its not OK to wear these as they are trooping down to Bingo or having brunch in the Lido? :cool:

Or am I the only one that's kinda creeped out about this? Always makes me feel like they're treating the entire ship as an extension of their dressing room - and I sure hope that they're wearing something underneath that robe!!!

:eek:

When, Oh When will HAL and the other lines make it known where it is and is not appropriate to wear bathrobes?

Or am I the only one that's kinda creeped out about this?

You're not.

The time I saw a couple at an afternoon game in a lounge---both in HAL robes---had to be the worst example. :eek:

But, then again, who can be sure. There are so many examples to choose from. :rolleyes:

I'm with you 100%, Tinknock50. Thank the Lord for small favors. Thank you Craigster for being so gracious.

Re: robes in public places - doesn't bother me. I assume they are using them over their swimming suits & just left the pool area for other places rather than changing, or are headed to the pool after their other stop. I just don't get bothered by what other people wear. However, if a robe ever opens & proves my assumption wrong & I sadly see there is nothing under the robe, then I will complain (unless it happens to some real hunk of a man!:D Only teasing!;) ). Of course, if it happens to a shapely young lady rather than us old folks on HAL, I can guarantee you that my DH will NOT complain!

Suppose the time will come when HAL will list robes as unacceptable dining room attire? Or, ......it will become acceptable dining room attire!:eek:

I cannot think of any ship setups where parading through a public room is necessary to get from the pool to one's stateroom. One can get on an elevator before entering the lido serving area. A nice coverup would look much better than a robe, IMO.

Suppose the time will come when HAL will list robes as unacceptable dining room attire? Or, ......it will become acceptable dining room attire!:eek:

I'd suggest the answer entirely depends on any of these factors :

(a) is the robe made of denim

(b) is it formal night

© is the robe worn only in the Lido

(d) is the robe worn only to the dining room on formal night, and then changed for something "a little more casual" for the remainder of the night

(e) is the robe used to save a chair in the dining room while the owner is off in the casino - not wearing the robe

(f) is the robe worn with the appropriate accessories

(g) will the dining room have robing / non-robing sections

(h) will there be a "robe optional" deck located between the passenger cabins and the dining room

As there is no simple answer to the question, one must always consider the options. Circumstance is in fact the master of our destiny.

Craigster

No! Here's an except from the HAL website about dress on casual nights:

Comfortable, relaxed clothing is fine for evenings designated as casual; however, T-shirts, jeans, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the dining room, Lido restaurant, or public areas during the evening hours.

The URL for this is:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/guests/category.do?category=packing&topic=dressCode

Hope this helps!

/sorry, I could be wrong, but we have just been told jeans are permitted on casual nights: for me, it isn't a concern as I wouldn't wear them period unless it was really cold and I do wish, whatever the dress code it would be enforced, but I think they have changed the policy. As for not in the Lido restaurant that is a bit too much as far as I am concerned. NMnita

/sorry, I could be wrong, but we have just been told jeans are permitted on casual nights: for me, it isn't a concern as I wouldn't wear them period unless it was really cold and I do wish, whatever the dress code it would be enforced, but I think they have changed the policy. As for not in the Lido restaurant that is a bit too much as far as I am concerned.

NMnita, you're not wrong. But this fact has already been pointed out ... i.e., that the website's listing of the dress code is no longer coordinated with what HAL sends out in their "Know Before You Go" booklet. I, for one, decried the discontinuity and wonder WHEN HAL will get around to changing the website to conform it to what they're mailing out to passengers. The confusion it generates is NOT helpful.

Archived