Is a converter needed?

wrp96

It depends on what she is wanting to plug in. Most electronics like laptops, battery chargers and cameras will work on 110 or 220 volts; but what is needed is a plug adapter. This is not a converter that steps the power down. It is just a device with the prong arrangement you need for the country you are in, that you can plug the US two or three prong head into. They are relatively cheap. I bought a couple for our NZ/Aus cruise and they only cost about $4.00 each. I made sure that we took the hair dryer that worked on both voltages also. The main thing to do is to make sure the things she needs to plug in work on 110 and 220.

The label on the appliance will show the acceptable voltages. If it says something like 100-240V, then all she'll need is an adaptor to change the shape of the plug. If it says 110V, or 100-120V, or something like that, then she'll need a voltage converter to avoid a brief and fatal (to the appliance) fireworks display.

If the appliance is only for 110 volts please don't blow it up by using your converter and plugging in. Our stronger voltage will ruin the appliance.

When we were in New York last year, I had to do the opposite with my mobile phone charger. I only had one for 240 volts so had to go out and buy one for 110 volts which worked beautifully.

If you bring a travel hairdryer etc. usually it can be switched between the two voltages but if it is one you use constantly at home, then I doubt it has the dual system.

Jennie

The electrical thing I will be bringing is the charger for camera and camcorder, so I should have them checked to make sure I won't have a problem in either New Zealand or Australia? I have looked at it and don't know for sure what it means.

Mark,

Yes we have been on the Restaurant Tram and it is a great way to see some of our suburbs and have a good meal. It is very popular and I think you will need to book it beforehand. My sister in law was on it only a couple of weeks ago for dinner and loved it. It was her first time whereas we were on it over 15 years ago when there was only one tram now there are quite a few from the same company doing it.

Jennie

Archived