Laundry on Noordam

acre

yeah, that's a big disadvantage with all 4 vista ships, but realistically HAL will not bring them back when one laundrmat takes up the space that is otherwise devoted to a real revenue producer - another inside cabin. plus, you now have to spend money to send to the ship's laundry - but all cruise lines are in the business of making profits ,and when it comes to that vs. passenger amenities that aren't profit making, you know which will win out.:(

All four vista class ships have no self serve laundry facilities. You can sent out for laundry, dry cleaning and pressing. A bulk laundry bag is available for $10 or $12. I hope that the next class of ships will add self service laundry back.

We're just back from the Noordam 7/30 sailing. The bulk laundry is $25 but still worth it compared to the charge for having laundry done individually.

CateW --- I can't beleive they could charge $25 for a small bag of laundry. The first I had heard of the bulk bag was on the Amsterdam in 2003. At that time it was $8, and they had self service laundry on board.

I was not aware that we have had 250% inflation since 2003 ????

Yep! The blue laundry bag full is now $25. That's what we paid on our recent Noordam cruise. But you can get a good bit into the bag, and when you look at the individual prices on the regular laundry list it's cheaper ... believe it or not!

My guess is that they initially offered the service real cheap to soften the blow of not having passenger laundry facilities, then gradually upped the cost into the tens and now twenties to cover their true costs (plus profit, of course.)

I always eschewed the lack of a self-service option on the Vista ships, but I must say it's wonderful to not need to spend time in the laundry (once you can wrangle a washer and dryer.)

Around 1/2 way through our Westerdam cruise HAL started running laundry specials which were a much better deal than the regular rate. Even if no specials are available, you only need to pack for 5 days if you send in laundry at the end of the third and seventh days. Laundry turnaround is usually between 24-48 hours.

I used the blue bag for $25 once and then I did the pieces individually - and as Jim mentions, they were cheaper.

It was so hot & humid that we sent out for laundry about 4 times, but we also had our teens with us.

Many of my summer items are linen blends.....they cannot go into a hot dryer....will they be safe to send to the laundry? We are doing a 15 day cruise on the Zaandam. There is a self service laundry but I really don't want to be ironing while I am on vacation....I do enough of that here!!

Susan, I would be hesitant about sending out anything if I were concerned about how it was treated.

Since you're on the Zaandam, why not wash/dry in the self-service, then send things out for pressing only?

We paid $20 on the Rotterdam for laundry by the bag. I added up the per piece prices and we had stuffed over $100 worth into that bag. It didn't split the seams, but it was close! Looking forward to not seeing any laundry charges on the Noordam.

We paid $20 on the Rotterdam for laundry by the bag. I added up the per piece prices and we had stuffed over $100 worth into that bag. It didn't split the seams, but it was close! Looking forward to not seeing any laundry charges on the Noordam.

Geez Grumpy! You sure got a lot in your bag, lol!!! Ieven tried rolling the stuff up, but my kids stuff seemed to take up a bunch of room. I did do the laundry by piece only once, the other times I used the bag (stuffed to the gills) and our cabin steward was pretty good about lettting a few things through that were technically "spilling over" lol!

You'll love the Noordam. :)

I have heard that there is an unlimited laundry and pressing (no dry cleaning) service available - I forget what the cost was supposed to be. Is that not true on the Noordam?

Keep Smiling!!!:D

Timethief,

I did not see it this cruise, though I've seen it before. I would have taken advantage of it, that's for sure.

The S categories allow for free laundry and dry cleaning - a nice perk, imo. We always have laundry done on board, and our next cruise we are back in the SA category and that's probably when I will see the unlimited package again, lol. :)

• 2 months later...

We were just on the Zuiderdam and the $12 bag of laundry was the best deal ever! It was amazing what you could stuff in and shirts came back ironed and on a hanger. Undies were neatly folded in a basket. Why would anyone want to do laundry on a cruise? I was hoping I could bring a steward or two home with me so I could continue being spoiled...alas, there was no room left in my suitcase for them.

Has anyone reported in recently on the laundry cost on the Noordam? Someone was going to report after a recent sailing on the cost, and I don't recall seeing that post!

Hello innlady1,

We got off the Noordam on 10/25 cruise and had an insert to our onboard documents with the following price list:

Regular Service- If recd by 9AM - Returned next day by 5PM

Express Service- If recd by 9AM - Returned same day by 5PM

Laundry By Bag- $25.00 All that can fit in one bag. Top It Off.

Unlimited Laundry- $70 for entire cruise. Allow 48 hours return.

(We use this service for our 11 day cruise and got it back by 9AM next day) Dry Cleaning not included.

Unlimited Pressing- $30 for entire cruise. Allow 48 hours return.

We used the Unlimited Laundry for our 11 day cruise and were putting laundry in each day and getting it back by the next morning. We really took full advance of the service and came home with alot of clean clothes than a extra bag to carry laundry home. We found it great!

Thank you very much, ESLO, for responding to my question so quickly! We, too, will avail ourselves of the unlimited laundry service. I hate coming home with a suitcase full of dirty laundry! ;) Thanks again!

Dear innlady1,

No Problem, innlady1.

I have intentions to post quite abit of information from my cruise as I had collected alot of paper information about her. But, since I came home caught a nasty cold. Prevented me from posting on these boards. Maybe from cold to hot to cold, I caught a bug. Becareful yourself to this possiblity. Islands were extremely hot down there and going from air conditioning to the heat was constantly a task.

I would be posting this under a new general title within the next week. I know there are several threads from my Roll Call, myself and some others that posted live onboard or also reviews on return that could be of value to you.

February is not that far away!

I was on the Noordam from Sept. 28th-Oct.14 and was invited to a small Q&A session with the HM and CD. I asked the question of why they no longer provided a cruise long laundry package. I was told that it's been decided that they will no longer offer a package like that because they were overwhelmed with the volume and will be just offering the $25 per bag option. :cool:

I realized later on that in using the bag system and got all our laundry done for less than we were charged for the cruise long laundry package, as my husband has a great stuffing talent.;)

I was on the Noordam from Sept. 28th-Oct.14 and was invited to a small Q&A session with the HM and CD. I asked the question of why they no longer provided a cruise long laundry package. I was told that it's been decided that they will no longer offer a package like that because they were overwhelmed with the volume and will be just offering the $25 per bag option. :cool:

I realized later on that in using the bag system and got all our laundry done for less than we were charged for the cruise long laundry package, as my husband has a great stuffing talent.;)

As stated in my above statement, WE did experience the Cruise Long Laundry Package for $70.00 and found to be a major benefit with the ending reward of clean clothes taken home. We were able to do all the laundry we wanted, even up to delivery the morning before landing. Our service was so good that the earlier we gave it in, we would still get it back about 5PM the sameday that is known as Express Service and would normally cost more. We did not pay extra. WOW, what good service!

Maybe on the Summer European assignments the Noordam has different laundry standards set. It was also included in the handout we received on boarding - checkin.

The so called Blue Bag by the Bag for $25.00 was also available on our 10/14 Cruise.

The biggest bugbear I found with my laundry on the Noordam was the ironing. I thought that 48 hours was a bit long to have things returned. The didn't have unlimited ironing. I reccommend ironing everything and folding it carefully. I was rushing to pack and normally don't iron before I wear. This meant almost everything I brought needed to be ironed.

Archived