June vs July 2007

kml2000

I am in the beginning stages of research for an Alaskan cruise in 2007. From some of the posts, I am already behind the times. Anyway......I am still reasearching.

In my research, I have found that July is more expensive than June. I have to be a bit frugal with my money and would like to know what are the true differences in cruising in June vs July.

It will be myself and my daughter (14 at sailing). We have cruised twice before together and I cruised a couple of times before her so we are not "new" to cruising, but aren't frequent cruisers.

I do believe I have decided on a round trip for this cruise and am looking heavily at departing from Vancouver. I would fly into Seattle (will book on my own). I am partial to RCCL from my other cruises (all Carribean) so I have been looking heavily at them but also looking at Princess.

I read a couple of posts that there aren't many kids in June (first or second week), but would like more opinions of that. My daughter doesn't like to be overwhelmed, but she doesn't want to be the only teen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Karen

I am in the beginning stages of research for an Alaskan cruise in 2007. From some of the posts, I am already behind the times. Anyway......I am still reasearching.

In my research, I have found that July is more expensive than June. I have to be a bit frugal with my money and would like to know what are the true differences in cruising in June vs July.

It will be myself and my daughter (14 at sailing). We have cruised twice before together and I cruised a couple of times before her so we are not "new" to cruising, but aren't frequent cruisers.

I do believe I have decided on a round trip for this cruise and am looking heavily at departing from Vancouver. I would fly into Seattle (will book on my own). I am partial to RCCL from my other cruises (all Carribean) so I have been looking heavily at them but also looking at Princess.

I read a couple of posts that there aren't many kids in June (first or second week), but would like more opinions of that. My daughter doesn't like to be overwhelmed, but she doesn't want to be the only teen.

Karen

We are going on June 3rd but will do land portion for 8 days first. Our cruise doesn't actually leave until 6/11.

I don't know about the kids, but we booked Princess in May and the verandah cabins were going fast. You might want to book real soon!

I intend to book soon, but I can't seem to figure out the major differences in cruising between June and July. It is a "chunk of change" difference and that $$$ could be well spent on excursions.........

Please help.....

Karen

I intend to book soon, but I can't seem to figure out the major differences in cruising between June and July. It is a "chunk of change" difference and that $$$ could be well spent on excursions.........

Please help.....

Karen

Some people think the weather is better in July than in June, but from the trip reviews I read this summer, May and June seemed to have warmer weather and less rain. We're going in June next year.

Karen

I haven't gone yet, but after looking at the U.S. Weather rainfall charts and looking at these boards for at least a year, it seems as if the end of May and beginning of June has less rain. Of course, it can be different every year, but if you look at the historical rainfall totals, I think you have a better chance of good weather. Also a consideration for me was that you have a good chance of still seeing snow on the mountains in early June which I think is so pretty. And of course, saving a few $$$s was also a huge consideration for us to go in early June.

THANKS.....I am really looking at the first of June on the Serenade. The pricing is much better than in July and we like RCCL. It seems the SErenade has had good reviews.

I would choose based more on itinerary than on ship/cruiseline. If you do a search at Expedia, for instance, you will see everything that is available out of Vancouver.

I like the intinerary of the Serenade also....I didn't neglect that, just didn't state it. I will look at Expedia as you suggested. I am still researching, just seem to go back to the Serenade during my research.

Maybe I should add that I am looking at a roundtrip because of flights.......

We will be on the June 2, 2007, sailing of the Serenade. I chose early June after looking at the weather/rain charts, checking the prices, and looking at the itineraries. Please keep in touch if you also decide on this sailing. I'd love to find someone else going, too. No luck yet on the Roll Calls for this sailing. Jan

I saw your post on the Roll Calls, was kind of worried about no response but it is early. I am hesitating on that particular cruise because there was a post about not being many teens on board in June. I have TRIED to get more information on that, but haven't gotten anywhere *sigh*

I like the intinerary of the Serenade also....I didn't neglect that, just didn't state it. I will look at Expedia as you suggested. I am still researching, just seem to go back to the Serenade during my research.

I also like RCI, and the Radiance-class ships are beautiful. I even booked the southbound Radiance for June 2007, before changing my mind and switching to a northbound Princess ship about a month later. I hope you'll have a great cruise, no matter which ship you pick.

Princess does not do round trip Vancouver. You can NOT base your trip on weather, it is so varied. You are best to just be prepared for it all and book the timeframe best for you. It is little difference between June and July, UNLESS you want fishing and bear viewing- then you are better later.

I am not totally sure what you mean by this, but most people mean that they think flying into one city and out of another (i.e. into Vancouver/Seattle and out of Anchorage or v.v.) is frightfully expensive. It isn't. If for some reason you find that those flights are expensive, you can do round trip to Seattle then a one way from Seattle to Anchorage (or again v.v.) and the Seattle-Anchorage portion costs about $200 per person.

Personally I think a highlight of Alaska is getting to the interior, especially Denali NP. But if that is not possible for you, so be it. But don't count out one way cruises just because of the airfare.

I am looking at roundtrip because I believe the flights to be less expensive if I book a roundtrip flight. I also have a companion fare ticket I would like to try and use and it would benefit me best on a roundtrip flight. I am thinking a roundtrip cruise is best for me this time.

I was initially looking at a roundtrip from Seattle, but like the Vancouver inteneraries the best.

I think I can swing a balcony if we go in June, if we go in July I am thinking it will have to be an oceanview. I am still looking and reading...

I would go in June!

After having a very wet, cold and rainy cruise in July for my first Alaskan cruise - I did a lot of research and spoke to a lot of friends who lived in Alaska and they all recommended May/June with the end of May and first of June being their preferred week. I have taken several cruises based on their recommendations and have had great weather.

I am not totally sure what you mean by this, but most people mean that they think flying into one city and out of another (i.e. into Vancouver/Seattle and out of Anchorage or v.v.) is frightfully expensive. It isn't. If for some reason you find that those flights are expensive, you can do round trip to Seattle then a one way from Seattle to Anchorage (or again v.v.) and the Seattle-Anchorage portion costs about $200 per person.

Personally I think a highlight of Alaska is getting to the interior, especially Denali NP. But if that is not possible for you, so be it. But don't count out one way cruises just because of the airfare.

This is not true for all areas. I can always pick up $300 round trip flights for Seattle, but usually can not touch open jaw for under $500 and that is frequently tough to get. So some areas the difference is significant.

In fact, I did! :D We (my mother and I) are booked on the Serenade for June 16, 2007 with a 3 day pre-cruise tour of Whistler, BC. We have cruised to Alaska in June before and had mostly good weather, but even the rainy times didn't bother us. Just keep your umbrella handy! ;) In doing my research before booking, we chose the Serenade for the itinerary and because it sails from Vancouver, with much more Inside Passage sailing than those cruises from Seattle. We chose June because it cost a bit less than July and we want to be able to spend some money on excursions. Also, we love June because of all the daylight hours! It's really cool to be able to take pictures from your balcony at 11pm!

We are booked for June and chose Coral Princess for a several reasons:

1. June is cheaper and we really wanted a balcony. If there is one place you want a balcony, it's Alaska. Consider the extra money spent on a balcony as an excursion. On my first Alaskan cruise, just about every waking hour onboard was spent on the balcony looking for wildlife on shore and in the water.

2. We will experience Alaska around the summer solstice...which means something like 19 hours of daylight in Anchorage, for example.

3. Princess, along with Holland America, is the most well established cruise line in Alaska. It's a sweet feeling to sail past the TENDERS bringing in the passengers from a luxury Seven Seas cruise ship while DOCKING in the center of town. It's something to consider.

4. The itinerary includes Glacier Bay as well as long days in port.

5. Princess has 'anytime' dining so you aren't locked into a time to eat.

No matter what you choose, you can't go wrong. It's going to be a great vacation and a great experience for your daughter. :)

Take care. -Matt

We are booked for June and chose Coral Princess for a several reasons:

1. June is cheaper and we really wanted a balcony. If there is one place you want a balcony, it's Alaska. Consider the extra money spent on a balcony as an excursion. On my first Alaskan cruise, just about every waking hour onboard was spent on the balcony looking for wildlife on shore and in the water.

2. We will experience Alaska around the summer solstice...which means something like 19 hours of daylight in Anchorage, for example.

3. Princess, along with Holland America, is the most well established cruise line in Alaska. It's a sweet feeling to sail past the TENDERS bringing in the passengers from a luxury Seven Seas cruise ship while DOCKING in the center of town. It's something to consider.

4. The itinerary includes Glacier Bay as well as long days in port.

5. Princess has 'anytime' dining so you aren't locked into a time to eat.

No matter what you choose, you can't go wrong. It's going to be a great vacation and a great experience for your daughter. :)

Take care. -Matt

Couldn't have said it better myself. We also booked Princess in June for all the above reasons. Which Coral cruise are you on? We are on the Coral SB leaving Whittier on 6/11/07. Doing 8 day independent land tour before our cruise.

We are booked on Jun23rd RT Vancouver on the RCCL Seranade. We have 4 cabins and wanted them all together. We booked early to get what we wanted. We have 7 adts and 8 children. We chose RCCL because of the ship and the kids program as well as the itinerary.

Also, some of the Hubbard glacier cruises have changed their itineraries from what they were earlier this year. We were scheduled to go to Icy Straight Pt, but we are now going to Sitka instead.

Have fun making your choice!

You might want to try flying into Seattle and taking the train up to Vancouver and back; if that works out better for your companion fare. We did this the last time we went to Alaska in 97 and it turned out great. Seattle is really a neat city and I recommend staying a few days pre/post cruise if it’s in your budget

I plan to fly into Seattle and take the train to Vancouver (if I convince myself this is the cruise I am going to take). We do want to spend a day or two in Seattle and possibly a day in Vancouver. I am trying to decide on what dates will actually be the best for us. It is so hard to coordinate camps and vacation with a teenager!

Thanks to all who have replied. I am feeling a bit better about sailing in June than I was to begin with.

Archived