Movie theater on Royal caribbean ships?

JAMESCC

How is the movie theater in the newer Royal Caribbean ships like "explorer of the seas" How big is it? Are the movie is widescreen and Dolby Digital sound? Are the movies on DVD or it the actual film? Thanks for the help.

I was on Serenade in 2004 and it seemed like the theatre was more like a glorified dvd room...however the sound was good and on a theatre style screen.

Think hi-tech home theatre and you should get the picture...but who everything else to do there was only about 15 of us in there...we only went because we loved the movie.

Just curious - why do you ask about widescreen and Dolby?
Because I have a really,really nice Home theater and movies are made in widescreen and with Dolby Digital. If its just a regular 4:3 TV like experience whats the point?I wouldn't even bother with it if its not even better than my Home theater. Movies theater at home are widescreen and Dolby Digital and I would think Royal Caribbean theater would be the same.

Because I have a really,really nice Home theater and movies are made in widescreen and with Dolby Digital. If its just a regular 4:3 TV like experience whats the point?I wouldn't even bother with it if its not even better than my Home theater. Movies theater at home are widescreen and Dolby Digital and I would think Royal Caribbean theater would be the same.

James. You truly are blessed. Suggest you cancel you cruise and stay at home and enjoy!

James. You truly are blessed. Suggest you cancel you cruise and stay at home and enjoy!
I'll take that as a compliment thank you. I was just curious if the theater on the RCL ships are as good as mine at home. I know I prefer my HT to MUTS on Princess ships. While they have a MUCH bigger screen everything else about mine is better.

I really do not get why they continue to bother with having the movie theatre's on the ships.
I don't either but since they do i was curious about the quality. I can kinda see why but its not really needed.

Our schedules are so crazy that it is rare that we get a chance to go to the movies. At least not together. Depending on the movie it would be nice to have that as an option on vacation while we are out of our normal hectic pace.

I really do not get why they continue to bother with having the movie theatre's on the ships.

Oh wow, we love to go to a movie on a ship! We rarely get to go at home and there are times during the day that the ship activities aren't all that appealing to us, or we're sunburned or we are just "peopled out". We think there is something kind of "out of the norm " to go to a movie on a ship, with drink in hand and then to walk out and not be in a parking lot!

I hope they don't do away with them.:p

You will not find movie / theatre equipment of that quality on any RCI ship. Radiance class probably has the best set up. On Voyager / Freedom class, they simply take a deck 2 meeting room and call it the "screening room." IMO Disney has the best movie theatre at sea.

Oh wow, we love to go to a movie on a ship! We rarely get to go at home and there are times during the day that the ship activities aren't all that appealing to us, or we're sunburned or we are just "peopled out". We think there is something kind of "out of the norm " to go to a movie on a ship, with drink in hand and then to walk out and not be in a parking lot!

Agree with that! Going to the movies at home is a rare treat with a small child. He is not old enough yet to sit through stuff or see what we want and arranging babysitter is a hassle. I love going to a late afternoon movie on board after a day at the pool and before dinner:D

To the OP, we were recently on AOS and like GMoney said it will not be up to your standards. In fact I believe they were using a videotape!

We went to a movie on our cruise. It was a port day and we were back on the ship several hours before we set sail again. I thought there wouldn't be many people at the movie but there was quite a few.

The movie wasn't like the theatres at home - but we didn't expect it to be. Because it was a port day, there wasn't a lot of other activities on the ship and neither one of us felt like going to the pool.

I like going to the movies on the ships and comparing them to each other. The Maasdam one was the worst one. The Celebrity Summit was about the best. I did not get to go on the Navigator as it was the son's honeymoon cruise. I enjoy going since I use a scooter. I find when I go it is most often used by seniors. When they were showing "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" it was full. They put it on for a second night. Other times it was only half full max.

IMO Disney has the best movie theatre at sea.

We went our family cruise on DCL a few years back and grandpa had never seen Pirates of the Caribbean. Needless to say, he loved it!

Their theatre is amazing, just a smaller version of what you might find locally.

Because some ships sail in cold/cool climates or it rains all day and they need lots of indoor acivities maybe... and movies is cheap and it can be used as a small event/activity room.

Thanks for the positive replies from some. I was very reluctant to ask this question because i have seen people ask ship movie theater questions and other people get violent about why Ships should not have movie theaters. I mean they get angry that ships have one and that people go to it. Then they make you feel like a fool because your on vacation on a ship and you want to watch a movie. I have seen it before a few times and its amusing. Why do people get angry about movie theater on ships? I think its a cool concept.

I agree with you 100%. I love an afternoon watching a movie on a sea day. ;)

I like going to the movies on the ships and comparing them to each other. The Maasdam one was the worst one. The Celebrity Summit was about the best. I did not get to go on the Navigator as it was the son's honeymoon cruise. I enjoy going since I use a scooter. I find when I go it is most often used by seniors. When they were showing "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" it was full. They put it on for a second night. Other times it was only half full max.

On one of our cruises they showed that one in the main show theater and it was quite crowded in there.

We've only watched a movie in the theater on a ship once, and just by random chance we were walking by and looked in and they were starting "ET." We like tear-jerking sci-fi movies, I guess:rolleyes:

I think cruiselines keep movie theaters because they are perfect as corporate meeting rooms: comfortable tiered seating with small writing tables, soundproofing, and all the electronics for a PowerPoint slideshow. That way they can get the small corporate meeting clients, and use it for movies for the rest of the passengers when it's not otherwise occupied for little or no cost.

I went several times on our 12-day Brilliance cruise in June. The theatre setup itself was quite nice. It was a fairly small but stadium-style seating arrangement. If i had to venture a guess I'd say it had about 10-12 rows(??) and I'd like-wise assume it's the same setup on all the Radiance Class ships.

The sound was fine, but the picture quality was not great. It had a blue tint to it for some reason. I was able to just ignored it and watch the movie. I'll assume the blue tint is exclusive to Brilliance.

Archived