State residency discount question

Somebody asked me this, and I didn't know the answer . . .

John and Jane booked a last minute cruise together, and both got a state residency discount, because both of them are residents of that state (let's say Texas). The problem is that Jane recently moved to Texas, and still has a California driver's license -- and unfortunately, CA residents don't get a discount for this particular cruise. Their cruise is coming up shortly, and it isn't particularly convenient for Jane to get her license switched before they leave.

So . . . is it enough for John to have his Texas license, and everybody in his cabin then qualifies? Or is that just for the senior discount? They are not married, if that makes a difference.

Of course, the obvious answer is to call RCI and ask . . . but as we all know, you can call five times and get five different answers. I'd like to hear from somebody who has actually experienced this, and actually knows the answer. I'd hate to make Jane jump through hoops unnecessarily, but I'd hate even more for her to be denied boarding or made to cough up an extra $500.

Can anybody help me out? :)

I believe that only one person booked into the room must provide proof of residency for that discount or age for the senior discount. At least that's what I was told by RCCL Customer Service.

Somebody asked me this' date=' and I didn't know the answer . . .

John and Jane booked a last minute cruise together, and both got a state residency discount, because both of them [b']are[/b] residents of that state (let's say Texas). The problem is that Jane recently moved to Texas, and still has a California driver's license -- and unfortunately, CA residents don't get a discount for this particular cruise. Their cruise is coming up shortly, and it isn't particularly convenient for Jane to get her license switched before they leave.

So . . . is it enough for John to have his Texas license, and everybody in his cabin then qualifies? Or is that just for the senior discount? They are not married, if that makes a difference.

Of course, the obvious answer is to call RCI and ask . . . but as we all know, you can call five times and get five different answers. I'd like to hear from somebody who has actually experienced this, and actually knows the answer. I'd hate to make Jane jump through hoops unnecessarily, but I'd hate even more for her to be denied boarding or made to cough up an extra $500.

Can anybody help me out? :)

If Jane doesn't get air with RCCL no proof of residency required.

Good luck.

just curious what "getting air through RCL" would have to do with the residency discount? :confused:

A~

If you buy airline ticket through RCL from IL and will try to use TX residency discount they won't let you. If you just book cruise with them you can tell them that you live in TX and they will mail all the doc. to your TA and won't know that you're from IL or any other state. Just show them your passport at the pier.

Since they aren't married, and their last names aren't the same, I'd recommend that Jane get a Texas drivers license. Most states have a reciprocity agreement so it isn't that much of a hoop that she would have to go through in order to change her license. Better to go through that hoop than to arrive at the check in desk and be required to come up with that extra $500 because she can't document her Texas residence.

I'm sure that Texas residents sometimes book cruises and their circumstances require them to fly to the port from another state where they may have been visiting or working. Purchasing airfare through the cruiseline wouldn't necessarily trigger a problem,

Since they aren't married, and their last names aren't the same, I'd recommend that Jane get a Texas drivers license. Most states have a reciprocity agreement so it isn't that much of a hoop that she would have to go through in order to change her license. Better to go through that hoop than to arrive at the check in desk and be required to come up with that extra $500 because she can't document her Texas residence.

I'm sure that Texas residents sometimes book cruises and their circumstances require them to fly to the port from another state where they may have been visiting or working. Purchasing airfare through the cruiseline wouldn't necessarily trigger a problem,

Not everyone even has a drivers license so i think anything with her name and TX address would work.

As others posted, only one person in the cabin has to prove residency and for clarification, purchasing RCCL air has absolutely nothing to do with a residency promotion. If you are booked under a senior or residency promo, you may be asked for proof of age or residency, even if you show your passport at check in.

even if the licence/ID card dosen't get to her before she leaves, she should have the receipt showing that she has a new TX licence coming (it should't take more than a month, and most places can take appointments).

I agree that it would suck to be denied boarding for something so minor...and it's an easy thing to fix...besides unless she's only going to be in TX for a little while then return to her home state (i.e. college or military) she should have done that within the first 30 days of living in TX (at least tht's the law here in Calif.).

Hope it all works out :D

both will need proof of residency pier checkin will need to verify and if not living in that state where the discount is offered they will pay the diff. :rolleyes:

Cruisinfanatic is correct. This is absolutely incorrect. Only ONE member of the party needs to prove residency. One or the other, not both.

I believe it is only the person making the booking that has to prove residency,just as it is for Over 55 or Military discounts. The RCCL site does say that if residency cannot be validated at the pier you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding. Every passenger in the room does not have to prove residency.

I, too, am certain that only ONE of the occupants of the cabin has to qualify for the discount for EVERYONE in the cabin to get the discount.

HOWEVER, la croisiere, if Jane wants to be more secure, I suggest doing what is considered "proof of residency" where I live when registering your children for school. A utility bill. A rent or mortage statement. Something that links you to actually living there. (with Jane's name on it)

Carol

Not everyone even has a drivers license so i think anything with her name and TX address would work.

However, in the hypothetical, Jane had a California drivers license so she could get a Texas license pretty easily. Although she may not need to prove her residency if her roommate can,if it were me I'd rather be safe than sorry and would get my own Texas ID>

Thanks everybody for your feedback. I think I'm going to suggest that Jane 1) get her TX license if she can, and if not, 2) call RCI until she gets at least ONE person who tells her that John's ID will qualify, or that she can use another form of proof of residency like Carol suggested.

I'm hoping that if they encounter a problem and Jane says, 'But I talked to Joe on August 21st and he told me we would be okay,' AND she has a utility bill and picture ID, they should be okay. RCI reps may be misinformed at times, but they are usually quite nice. :)

However, in the hypothetical, Jane had a California drivers license so she could get a Texas license pretty easily. Although she may not need to prove her residency if her roommate can,if it were me I'd rather be safe than sorry and would get my own Texas ID>

You would think this.....but it isn't always the case.......some make you take a test again........some are only open a few days a week depending on where you live........if you fail, you might have to re-test a week later.........but aren't hypothetical's great:D

The reservation is in his name, the Sea Pass has his signature for charges, so he shows his ID when boarding. Passports for everyone is also needed. Thus state discount is done........

Once again, huh???:rolleyes: In the situation mentioned, it is a last minute cruise, so NO passport is required if it is to Canada, Mexico, Central America or the Caribbean. When checking in at the pier, IDs are required of all passengers not just the person in whose name the reservation was made.

Why do you claim that "state discount is done"? They are a marketing tool and will continue as long as the lines feel that they help sell cruises.

I think the OPs decision as to what to recommend is a good one and should cover the situation.:)

• 1 month later...

As Paul Harvey would say, here's the rest of the story . . .

Jane did get her Texas driver's license before the cruise, just to be on the safe side. However, nobody ever asked her for it, or John for that matter. Hmm.

I'm certainly not suggesting that anybody else bank on the same thing happening to them. It was probably a fluke -- you just know that if she didn't have it, then for sure they would have asked for it! :D

Anyway, that's the way it went down. I guess it's just further proof that no two check-ins are alike, and your only defense is to have all your bases covered!

Archived