excursion vs balcony

kml2000

My daughter wants to do the dog sledding.....

This trip is a huge investment for me. We have alwasy cruised where we could drive to the port. Adding air fare is a huge expense and wanting to spend a couple of nights in Seattle is an expense also. I want to go for an interior (but was afraid to say that on this board) but am worried that I would truly regret that decision. One of my memories of the "balcony cruise" is how I found a place to sit with my book on sea days and watch the goings on as well as the ocean. With no "adult companion", I honestly think I will enjoy being "about the ship" more than on a private balcony.

I really appreciate the comments and opinions. I value each and every one.

I greatly prefer my excursions. :) I was given a free upgrade to an outside cabin this last time, and I NEVER used it. Always outside seeing it all. I have never been happy with only 50% of the views.

But always go with what your priority is, I never have any limitations on my excursion budget and am certainly grateful for those that do pay for those higher priced cabins, as they are the reason, I can go so cheap. :) But if you can't stand no viewing, you will not be happy with the savings of an inside.

In Alaska I'm the first person to claim excursions need to be a priority and I will always say you get only half a trip without them. So try to balance these. Do some overtime, skip Christmas/bithday gifts- pay yourself perhaps?

>>But if you can't stand no viewing, you will not be happy with the savings of an inside. <<

We called our Inside cabin on the Radiance "The Cave". It was horrible not knowing what the weather was like or whether you were in open water or a narrow channel when I got up in the morning. The bridgecam/GPS channel on the TV helped, but on the Vision we didn't even have that.

>>But if you can't stand no viewing, you will not be happy with the savings of an inside. <<

We called our Inside cabin on the Radiance "The Cave". It was horrible not knowing what the weather was like or whether you were in open water or a narrow channel when I got up in the morning. The bridgecam/GPS channel on the TV helped, but on the Vision we didn't even have that.

I guess I like the "cave" :) But I think you are a recent cruiser, Murray?

I've been cruising for over 20 years, and the first ones were on essentially what would now be considered "dingy" boats. :) No stablizers, 20,000 gt, and for me, real sailing. I greatly miss those ships. So now with me- 40 cruises later, I don't get excited about a room, go on cruises now- for Alaska itineraries- price. Other cruises area price based only, with picking up the bargains to fill in my vacation time. :)

I'm off to Bermuda next month out of NYC, which is an easy drive, again, a last minute booked bargain. :) Don't care where the cabin is, as long as it's on the ship. :)

Murray - I thought you called your cabin "The Cave" because it was on a low deck, WAY at the end of the hall by the crew quarters! I wouldn't want to be on a deck that just had hallways and doors, either.

We had an inside cabin on Jewel of the Seas (sister ship to Radiance) on the 4th deck midship - just a few doors away from the very lovely Centrum - and we loved it. The location of the cabin is more important to me than having daylight in the room.

I guess I like the "cave" :) But I think you are a recent cruiser, Murray?

I've been cruising for over 20 years, and the first ones were on essentially what would now be considered "dingy" boats. :) No stablizers, 20,000 gt, and for me, real sailing. I greatly miss those ships. So now with me- 40 cruises later, I don't get excited about a room, go on cruises now- for Alaska itineraries- price. Other cruises area price based only, with picking up the bargains to fill in my vacation time. :)

I'm off to Bermuda next month out of NYC, which is an easy drive, again, a last minute booked bargain. :) Don't care where the cabin is, as long as it's on the ship. :)

BQ - aren't you going on an Alaska cruise....tomorrow?

This trip is a huge investment for me. We have alwasy cruised where we could drive to the port. Adding air fare is a huge expense

Not trying to take over this thread but if only you Americans knew - on our next cruise, our flight is almost the same price as our balcony cabin :eek: . Some Canadians are able to drive to an American airport (Seattle, Buffalo, etc.) and it is a major savings. Have tried talking my husband into moving, for travel sakes, but so far it's a no go :D .

>>Murray - I thought you called your cabin "The Cave" because it was on a low deck, WAY at the end of the hall by the crew quarters!<<

At first we told people that our cabin was in the cargo hold for that reason, but The Cave ultimately won out as being more accurate :D Next July we're booked on HAL for the first time, in an Oceanview.

Murray

My daughter wants to do the dog sledding.....

This trip is a huge investment for me. We have alwasy cruised where we could drive to the port. Adding air fare is a huge expense and wanting to spend a couple of nights in Seattle is an expense also. I want to go for an interior (but was afraid to say that on this board) but am worried that I would truly regret that decision. One of my memories of the "balcony cruise" is how I found a place to sit with my book on sea days and watch the goings on as well as the ocean. With no "adult companion", I honestly think I will enjoy being "about the ship" more than on a private balcony.

I really appreciate the comments and opinions. I value each and every one.

I had the same dilema for June 2007. Everyone I talked to said "you need the balcony" but I want to do the dog sledding too!!! And at basically $900-$1000 for that excursion alone I just could not justify the cost. I did book an outside cabin and I chose one (sailing on Mercury) that faces the front and is approximately 100sq ft larger than other outside cabins (for the same price I might add!) I also factor in the fact that I am ALWAYS cold and the likelyhood of me going out on a balcony in my pj's is slim to none (of course if they were fur it might be a different story ;) )

All of this to say, I agree with many of the other posters, skip the balcony and do all the once-in-a-lifetime excursions you can!!

This may be a repeat since I didn't read all the posts. A balcony in Alaska really made my trip feel so much more luxurious and special. I don't think I can do without one again. When I look at pictures of cabins without balconies, I can just feel how enclosed I would feel. I would have to be in the public areas all the time.

There are lots of great things to do in ports that aren't expensive. In Skagway you can rent a car for around $50 and spend all day driving up into the Yukon and back. The train is almost $100 pp and doesn't go very far at all.

In Juneau you can take a $6 bus to Mendenhall Glacier and an inexpensive tram to the top of the mountain.

Ketchikan is just a fun little town to walk around in--the most of all three, IMO.

If you'll get the Alaska Toursaver Book, it can save you lots of money. Be sure to see what all is included in next year's book before you buy it. Try buying a used one on ebay. Out of 167 coupons, I only used three and saved over $300, after the $99 (retail price) I spent on the book. I sold it for $50 on ebay.

Alaska was our second cruise and our first balcony. Our first cruise was in an inside cabin--I believed it when people told me that you're in your cabin only to sleep, shower, and dress--never again! We enjoy spending time in our cabin--whether it's breakfast on the balcony or reading or whatever...we like the privacy it affords.

We used our balcony more on our Alaska cruise than we have on any other. My DD and I would sit out there and watch the float planes take off and land, watch for wildlife, etc. It would have been a very different experience without the balcony.

That said, obviously a balcony is a priority for us and, personally,I'd give up an excursion before I'd give up my balcony! You need to make the decision for yourself; as others said: prioritize.

Whatever you decide...have a wonderful cruise!!

Jayne

:)

We booked the cheapest inside for our cruise that leaves in days. We had to scrimp and save to even be able to go at all so a balcony wasn't even an option. We did manage to book a helicopter flight to a glacier and we are renting a car in Skagway so we are happy with the excursions we have.

I just checked our reservation a couple days ago and was surpised to find a visit from the upgrade fairy. We are now in an oceanview room.

Although I haven't been to Alaska yet, I think the excursions are more important although as others have said, it's what is important to you. I think an oceanview is a nice compromise between the two as it's usually not more than an inside room, but far less than a balcony costs.

I am having to scrimp and save too, but I also am using money from tax season. I work at a local tax company during tax season as a preparer to have extra money for things like this. I was able to pay off all my bills recently and this year I will be able to put the majority of my income from the second job toward this trip.

I have about decided to book a lower category oceanview and go from there. If they are available and if I have more money closer to sail date, I might try to move up, but I would be happy with an oceanview.

I am not trying to decide the best week to go. I want to fly up on a Thursday so we can spend a little time in Seattle and Vancouver. I am trying to decide if I should go June 2nd or the week before that. My concern in going the week before is that it is Memorial Day and the hotel prices may be much higher......

More to decide on.......Of course, with this new tax, etc, I may have to settle for an interior which would be okay too.

I am having to scrimp and save too, but I also am using money from tax season. I work at a local tax company during tax season as a preparer to have extra money for things like this. I was able to pay off all my bills recently and this year I will be able to put the majority of my income from the second job toward this trip.

I have about decided to book a lower category oceanview and go from there. If they are available and if I have more money closer to sail date, I might try to move up, but I would be happy with an oceanview.

I am not trying to decide the best week to go. I want to fly up on a Thursday so we can spend a little time in Seattle and Vancouver. I am trying to decide if I should go June 2nd or the week before that. My concern in going the week before is that it is Memorial Day and the hotel prices may be much higher......

More to decide on.......Of course, with this new tax, etc, I may have to settle for an interior which would be okay too.

Do you know which cruise you want to take? I am reasonably confident that an extra $50/pp is the most the cruiselines can add to your cruise costs, IF you've paid your deposit. If cruiselines raise prices beyond that for the 2007 season and you haven't booked yet, then you would have to pay the higher price.

As far as hotel prices being higher Memorial Day weekend, the only way to know that is to check rates now for the two weekends you're considering.

Archived