Canadians and Travel Insurance

dmk

This is the first time I've booked my cruise directly with Celebrity and not used a TA.

I am looking for a Canadian Insurance Agency that I can book Trip Cancellation Insurance with. I don't need the medical insurance because I have a Medical Insurance that covers travel.

I usually book RBC but they will not let me book Trip Cancellation only. They say this is offered only through a Travel Agency.

HELP! Suggestions anyone?

This is the first time I've booked my cruise directly with Celebrity and not used a TA.

I am looking for a Canadian Insurance Agency that I can book Trip Cancellation Insurance with. I don't need the medical insurance because I have a Medical Insurance that covers travel.

I usually book RBC but they will not let me book Trip Cancellation only. They say this is offered only through a Travel Agency.

Finding trip cancellation coverage without other benefits such as medical is about impossible nowadays whether you're from the US or Canada. It's easier for the travel insurers to offer a package rather than letting clients pick and choose their coverages.

There are some US-based insurers that also sell to Canada residents. CSA is one option and I think Access America is also.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am finding a lot of Travel Insurance Cos. will only insure me within a certain period of booking. Before, when I used a TA, I could book Travel Insurance any time.:confused:

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am finding a lot of Travel Insurance Cos. will only insure me within a certain period of booking. Before, when I used a TA, I could book Travel Insurance any time.:confused:

The US-based insurers will insure you at any time up until the day prior to your departure. But if you need coverage fpr pre-existing medical conditions most require that you buy the policy soon after booking the trip.

In B.C. where TA's are regulated and the insurance industry is also under gov't rules, we are only allowed to sell trip cancellation insurance to clients that we have actually booked. Used to be that we only had 48 hours after booking to put this coverage on but recent changes in regulations says we can sell it anytime as long as we get a waiver signed. Emergency medical or out of country medical can be bought from any insurance company up until the day before you leave.

I am surprised that Celeb didn't offer you there own cancellation policy when you booked. All the cruise ship companies seem to have their own brand of cancellation insurance. Have you asked them about this coverage??

I've been checking Travel Insurance all day. I finally called Celebrity and asked about theirs. The customer service told me that they only offered it in USD but perhaps I might be able to work something out with the rep at "CruiseCare".

I talked to a really nice guy who was so helpful and he worked through all the conversions of currencies and came up with a really good rate.

Eventhough, I only need Trip Cancellation, he gave me a package that includes medical, covers my independantly booked flights and other goodies. The price is less than I have paid for basic Trip Cancellation.

I have to say I'm really impressed. It seems to me I can remember when it was really very expensive to book Celebrity Travel Insurance. I don't know when that changed.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions:)

Eventhough, I only need Trip Cancellation, he gave me a package that includes medical, covers my independantly booked flights and other goodies. The price is less than I have paid for basic Trip Cancellation.

I find sometimes it is cheaper to book the Package ins and not just medical or trip cancellation...doesn't make sense to me but I suppose the insurance companies have it all worked out!:)

Glad you got coverage ...that is the important part

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm still out here looking for Travel Insurance. At this point I will gladly buy the whole package with medical and trip cancellation. But I can't find any'

Whichever Travel Insurance I contact has told me that I can't purchase it at this time. I could of only purchased it at the time of deposit within 48hrs. Only travel agent can book it after that time frame.

Help! I never realized that with a trip in January booked directly through Celebrity that I would have such a problem buying insurance.

If you have been in my situation and have successfully purchased insurance for your trip, would you share that info with me.

If you have used a TA in the past and they deal with RBC you might want to try them. I understand RBC recently dropped the requirement that insurance be purchased within 48 hours of booking. With a copy of your invoice showing proof of the full amount paid, you MAY be able to get the Non-Medical package.

Well, I'm still out here looking for Travel Insurance. At this point I will gladly buy the whole package with medical and trip cancellation. But I can't find any'

I would check with Celebrity ins you may have to just take theirs.

RBC may give you a policy if before any penalties from any part of your ttrip kick in.

We just paid over $500. for out cruise in Jan for "trip cancelation" no medical.

Cancellation insurance must be purchased at the time of initial travel deposit.

DMK

We sailed together on the Millenium TA in 2004 from Barcelona.

I don't know if this will work for you but you might want to call csatravelprotection.com. I've used them several times via an on line cruise agency. The big selling point for me was that you could hold off buying until final payment and still cover pre-existing medical conditions by getting a more inclusive policy. I'm using them for our 12/1/06 Galaxy TA.

I don't know if you have made final payment yet but they may be worth a call if you have not done so. I don't know if they deal with individuals as well as travel agents or whether they will extend cancellation only insurance. I do know that they let you purchase at time of final payment.

Good Luck

Bank of Montreal Mosaik Mastercard has a travel insurance for cancellation, interruption and baggage, that costs $60.00 per year, renewable annually which is considered a benefit for using their credit card. However, for the interruption and baggage portion, you must have purchased the trip with their Mosaik Mastercard. I called and ordered the insurance, and then when I got the actual policy, found out it wouldn't cover me for what I wanted, as I had purchased trip with AMEX card instead. But now I have it in place for future trips.

Marilyn

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I have tried the banks and RBC no luck.

hoover5000

Hi! I have been told that you can't get Trip Cancellation after deposit if you are Canadian:cool:

LHT28

I have called the Cruisecare by Celebrity. No problem to get insurance through them. I called them on Aug. 28th and 5 times since them. I have not yet received an invoice from them. They say they have problems with their computers. But how difficult can it be to fax the papers?:cool:

I don't understand why you can't get a BMO Mosaik card , buy the $60. a year insurance and pay the BALANCE of your trip on your Mosaik card. The policy clearly states that PART of the trip must be on their card. I booked for the family put the deposits on MY card but the final payments went on their cards so that they would be covered they each have the $60. insurance.

Archived