corkage on rccl-supplied wine?

IMNiles

Hello - I know that in the past when you brought your own wine you paid a corkage fee in the dining room. For my upcoming trip, my travel agent has ordered some wine *from RCCL* to have delivered to my room. If I bring a bottle to dinner, will I be charged a corkage fee since I did not order it there?

Note that this is NOT a question regarding bringing outside wine on the ship, smuggling, or anything of the sort. This wine was purchased from RCCL for delivery to my cabin.

Thanks!

On our Rhapsody cruise last April, our TA had a special deal where we received 6 bottles of wine. (When we got to our stateroom on boarding, there were all 6 bottles of wine, each in their own ice bucket, lined up on the counter:D ). The first night when we took a bottle to the dining room, they tried to charge us corkage fee, I protested, since it was their wine. The Head Waiter got involved, did some checking, and they decided that I was correct==no corkage fee. We were able to bring other bottles to the dining room and exchange them for better wines, just paying the difference in price. The wine was the "LaTerre" brand and the white chardonnay was drinkable, but certainly not a fine wine.

Hypo

We received 7 bottles from our tA and there was no corkage fee. Also, they sent white zinfandel, which tatses like cottoncandy to us, so they let us switch to a caberbet or chardonney in the same label, although that took some persistence.

I think it depends on where the TA purchased the wine. Once on another line, the TA sent us wine that he got from outside place, not the cruiseline. To have that opened at dinner would have been a corkage fee. We decided not to open it as it wasn't good wine to start with. On RCCL, our TA always orders the wine from RCCL so there isn't any corkage fee.

I have seen where it was suggested to order from an outside company and the wine/beer would be delivered to your cabin. I would think there would be a corkage fee for the wine if brought to the dining room. I am not sure if you will be charged the fee. The safest thing to do is order the wine from RCCL. JMO.

When our ta has bought wine from RC......it is usually waiting on us in the cabin with a cork screw for us to open it. If you buy a bottle of wine and have it delivered to your stateroom, whoever delivers it can open it or your cabin steward can open it.

We received a "welcome aboard" complimentary bottle of sparkling wine in our cabin (royal family suite) on Freedom. We took the bottle to the dinner with us. We mentioned to the waiter that it was a complimentary bottle. It was served without a corkage fee.

In case anybody is confused as to what a corkage fee is:

Basically...the ship/hotel/whatever sells its own wine/liquor. If you bring your own, they make nothing off of it so a corkage charge is there way of getting even.

Back in the day I would regualarly have hotel parties and would have to arrange to pay a corkage fee for the stuff I brought in to use in my own room. At least, RCCL doesn't (or rather didn't now that we have the wine ban in place) charge you for in-room consumption....not I guess from a lack of desire to, but no really practical way of implementing it.

I think it depends on where the TA purchased the wine. Once on another line, the TA sent us wine that he got from outside place, not the cruiseline. To have that opened at dinner would have been a corkage fee. We decided not to open it as it wasn't good wine to start with. On RCCL, our TA always orders the wine from RCCL so there isn't any corkage fee.

I have seen where it was suggested to order from an outside company and the wine/beer would be delivered to your cabin. I would think there would be a corkage fee for the wine if brought to the dining room. I am not sure if you will be charged the fee. The safest thing to do is order the wine from RCCL. JMO.

Don't know the circumstances of what you claim but it would not be allowed by any cruise line today. Any wine in your room comes from the cruise line either oaid by someone as a gift or from the cruise line.

Archived