"Fluffy" women continued - when it's not formal..

ridge4

I'm stealing kakalina's terminlogy for us plus size women.

There have been several threads recently asking for advice on sources for plus-size formal wear. It prompts me to ask..what are your favorite stores, designers, and/or manufacturers for casual or career clothing? Alternatively, what stores do you always bypass when clothes shopping for yourself, even though you know they carry plus sizes?

I sometimes think I would have to go naked if it wasn't for Lane Bryant (and that would not be pretty). I have to admit the plus-sized fashion situation has improved in recent years. Some designers and manufacturers have actually realized that **gasp** we might want to wear some stylish clothes that actually fit. :eek:

Who do you love/hate? If you could speak directly to the fashion industry, what would you say?

I like Lane Bryant. I've found that Nordstrom's has a good plus size department, at least at the one I go to in Dallas. I've been able to find some inexpensive but basic pieces at Dress Barn Women. Of our local department stores (we only have a few) JCPenney's rarely has anything worthwhile in their plus size department, Sears is the same way. Dillard's it really depends on the time of the year what their selection is like.

My biggest problem is that most plus size clothes I can find here in my area are geared towards older women and I want to be young and have fun just like somebody who is a smaller size. That's why I've resorted to making shopping trips down to Dallas or to outlet malls like in Branson.

I think I have been missing out on Nordstrom. I really don't have a convenient location close to home, but I am just outside of Dallas. Wrp96, I take it you are referring to the Northpark store?

I just realized there is a Nordstrom Rack at North East Mall. I'm definitely going to check that out, I have heard several posters mention it for bargains.

I don't know if it's a local problem, but the plus-size buyers at these stores should be shot:

Kohl's

JC Penney

Sears

On a brighter note, Dillard's is really improving.

Cindi

I go to the Nordstrom's at the Galleria. We fly in for the weekend (catch a deal on Southwest) and stay at the Westin Galleria and shop to our hearts content. They know us well at the mall.

I don't even bother to go to Kohl's even though there is one a block away from me. I went in there once, and they had 3 racks of plus size clothes. It was last Spring and in the plus section they still had heavy sweaters and dark colors, while every other department had summer clothes out. I've never felt the desire to go back.

I've actually found a few good pieces in Target's plus size department. But it's really hit or miss there.

Check out the nordstrom.com site. While they certainly don't have as much as they would in the store, they do have some clothes that are younger looking. They also have a sale site.

I pour over nordies site a lot, as I reference it here a lot. I think their site is one of the easiest to navigate.

I wear a 14, depending on whom you ask. This past spring/summer I did really well at Kohl's for work wear as well as very casual clothes - shorts, tops, bathing suits. Living near the beach we're pretty casual for work - dockers or a skirt & top. Sandals are fine too (love shoes). I also like dresses & do pretty well at Penneys for those. Much of what I bought for this summer will be in the bags for the January cruise.

Shopping is very limited here. And sometimes I'm sort of in between regular sizes & womens sizes. And I'm short - only about 5.2. And who decided that if you need a larger size you are also 5.10?

I've turned to eBay for dressier things. I know to search for a 16 for formal wear, but to always always go by measurements, not size alone. Found some really nice goodies - waiting for my gold dress to arrive. :) Have a feeling that its tea length is going to be almost full-length on me. ;)

And I'm short - only about 5.2. And who decided that if you need a larger size you are also 5.10?

I SOO agree. Did you know that the inseams and lengths on plus size outfits are automatically 2 inches longer than in misses sizes? Some doofus must think that you grow in height as well as waist size. I'm 5'4 and rely on my mother to hem my pants (usually involves cutting off several inches) and a good alterations shop for anything else.

We don't have a Nordstrom anywhere around here, well actually nothing close. 100 miles either way from here I go to Dillards or Macy's. I like Dillard's Bechamel line for casual wear. Also shop QVC and Quacker Factory. Love their things, not plain jane fat wear!

We don't have a Nordstrom anywhere around here, well actually nothing close. 100 miles either way from here I go to Dillards or Macy's.

I think the only reason we have a Dillards is that they are based here. I actually used to work right next door to their distribution center. And went to school with several of the Dillard grandkids.

I SOO agree. Did you know that the inseams and lengths on plus size outfits are automatically 2 inches longer than in misses sizes? Some doofus must think that you grow in height as well as waist size.

Yep, I thought it was pretty funny that my pants started fitting better when my figure 'matured' from misses into womens!

Wrona, do you have Deb stores in your area? They carry both juniors and plus sizes, and the styles are pretty much the same between the two lines. It's pretty low-priced, so it's not where you go for 'investment pieces.' But I like to buy my more trendy items there -- they typically last about as long as the fad does. :)

Here are a couple of my latest finds from Deb. I got these two pieces for a TOTAL of $15 (of course, this was an end-of-season clearance).

273421304_ebay359.jpg.653c398b18fe0b35c1fcb66ef82d5226.jpg

841448454_ebay382.jpg.43f9522f9fb059367f2b75cfe33caf73.jpg

Wrona' date=' do you have Deb stores in your area? They carry both juniors and plus sizes, and the styles are pretty much the same between the two lines. It's pretty low-priced, so it's not where you go for 'investment pieces.' But I like to buy my more trendy items there -- they typically last about as long as the fad does. :)

Here are a couple of my latest finds from Deb. I got these two pieces for a TOTAL of $15.

[/font']

Nope no Deb stores in my area. But as I said, we don't have much of a selection at the moment. We do have several new shopping centers being built in our area and we are finally going to get a few more department stores and better quality brand stores.

I love "fluffy.":D It sounds good.

For going to the store and finding clothes I like Lane Bryant, Avenue, and Fashion Bug. Fashion Bug has a bit younger stuff. For on-line shopping I really like igigi.com, bandlu.com, kiyonna.com and alight.com. With igigi and alight you can find some good deals.

I also love e-bay, but you have to be so careful and know your measurements because the sizes are not all the same.

- Emily

For career clothes, my favorite "staples" are the seasonless wool separates from Pendleton. Talbot's is also a great source for skirt/jacket/trouser coordinating pieces that are classically styled. I am addicted to twinsets for both career and casual, my favorite source is Land's End. Land's End is also a great source for casual tops, sweaters and pants - and you can get them hemmed to the inseam you want in many styles, even jeans. For those in cooler climates, their cashmere sweaters are wonderful. I always check out the "Overstocks" section on their website to see if I can find a good deal. TravelSmith is another great source for casual clothes in plus sizes, I practically lived in their "ultimate travel pants" on my last vacation. L.L. Bean is another good source for the "casual classics" (jeans, chinos, polo and T shirts, sweaters and jackets). All of these stores have websites and I've found them to be very reliable.

Staple stores

Lane Bryant

Lord and Taylor

Nordstroms

Nordstrom Rack

Daffys (primarily NYC store)

Century 21 Dept store (NYC Dept store)

Jones NY

Off Fifth

Natalies (NYC store)

Loemanns

Ashley stewart (tops to go out)

Macys

Modells (gym clothing)

Danskin (gym)

Target (gym)

Sizeappeal.com

Last Call

Designers I like

Marina Rinaldi

Jones New York

Some Alfani

Inc, Tommy for casual, Some Ralph Lauren, Chaus, Dana Buccmann, Jo Lo has some fun going out clothing, Tahari

My Friends husband who is a tailor and makes some dresses/pants for me

Stores I won't touch

Walmart

H&M - Cheap clothing that only really thin people can wear since it clings to every imperfection you have

JcPenny

Sears (They sell something other than appliances)

Kohls

Fashion Bug

Chicos

talbot (too old looking)

Catherines (polyester moo moos)

payless

What I hate

• I wear different sizes so anything with a button has to come from the plus department to fit my chest then get altered
  • Formal wear - For the most part this stuff looks like they designed it for the golden girls (bea arthur) or my grandma I'm not 90. Empire waist dresses if you have a stomach it makes you look prego but they make a lot of them
  • I don't find chiffon to be the most flattering fabric in the world and they like to make a lot of dresses with this stuff
  • Don't take a top that really only a size 0 would look good in and then just think you can blow the top up with no alterations and it would look good in a lger size it doesn't
  • I don't want the skirt to hit mid calf just makes me look even heavier
  • Can I get a dart or 2! Shapeless tops make you look like a walking tent
  • Floral Capris should be banned past a size 4
  • Stop making tapered pants! It looks bad on everyone
  • Skorkts are evil

Hi,

Since quitting smoking, I now teeter on the low end of plus...

I shop alot at Macy's and Lord and Taylor. Both have a nice plus dept for dress and casual. Also, if you have an outlet center nearby check out the Liz Claiborne store. I think they have a nice selection and prices are pretty moderate too

As a teleccommuter, I work at home quite often. So for the stay at home days, I also pick some very casual clothes up at Avenue .

What I'd realy like though is a way to lose this darn post smoking weight.

I love Elisabeth - Liz Claiborne's plus size shop. I found my correct size in their clothes and now order off their intenet site. The great thing is that if I don't like something, I can return it to my local Elisabeth store. They also have a lot of women's petites - I have a short inseam and petite pants and skirts fit so much better but I need a regular top.

There is free shipping on orders over $150 and have sales every so often. I often shop their clearance - great prices!

Elisabeth website

Luckye - congrats on quitting smoking!! After 34 years of it I quit a year and a half ago too and sympathize with you on the gaining thing. But the fact remains that we have to dress the size we are now regardless of what we were last year.

I love Lands End. They are smart enough to know that we "fluffy" women can be short too and have Petite Women sizes. Their clothes are durable if basic, launder well and are not highly priced. Lane Bryant is particularly good for undergarments. Try to get to them when they are selling their high end bras at some 2 for 1 deal. They also have some more fashionable outer garments but they can be a bit pricey.

Nobody in this particular thread has mentioned Coldwater Creek. Their catalogs feature YUMMY colors and more timeless designs and they don't upcharge for their plus sizes. It's refreshing to find a company that thinks we shouldn't have to pay more for the same thing our size 6 sisters buy.

For non investment items, consider WalMart. Yes I know, it's crowded and their stuff is crammed in and the quality is pretty low. But how fancy do your grunge clothes need to be LOL? Sweat suit fabric capris and t-shirts for sitting around the house or marketing, gardening etc can be very inexpensive there.

Lucky for me, I live on the beach so we have tons of beachwear stores that sell plus sized swimsuits and cover ups very inexpensively. Lands End is a great source for higher end swimwear.

I also love Travelsmith and Magellans but they are pretty expensive and I'd like to remain a particular size for an entire year before I invest. :p

I have several Elisabeth pieces too. I'm jealous of folashades list, most of those options do not exist in this area.

I also agree with the majority of folashades "pet peeve" bullet points, with special emphasis on tapered pants. What are they thinking?

I also get exasperated when year after year, I find a wide array of tops and sweaters done in wide horizontal stripes. Sure, I really want to look even wider than I am.

I am also constantly on the hunt for jackets and coats that actually have some shape!

Cindi

Sunshine...I never thought a size 14 was a plus size...I would be thrilled in a 14:D In the days of size 14, I thought I was "normal" size...drat:confused:

I bought 3 items from Lane Bryant "catalog". Wow,cheap material

& construction, I returned all 3 items. I know the catalog & physical stores are not related, thank goodness. Years ago they were passable, IMO they have changed.

I bought 4 t's at Kohl's which are not wearing well & are now garden shirts. Stores are limited here in Clermont, to get to Dillards is quite a drive to Orlando.

However, I must keep reminding myself....if you buy cheap..that's just what you get......cheap:( I'm going to Dillard's & Macy's for their sales. At least you know you are getting quality, hopefully on sale;)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Bloomingdales, esp in Manhattan downstairs women's department. The online is not great, but there are some great funky dresses with proper sleeves that just look great and are often on sale.

As a young lass on a budget Old Navy and Target are also staples in my wardrobe - I find it's often not where you shop but your style, knowing your shape, and HOW YOU PUT IT TOGETHER...

You fluffies are gorgeous!

P.S. How about swimsuits? Where I come from women wear board shorts over the cossies (even skinny model types) and I am petrified and having to unleash the thighs on board as boardshorts aren't really 'done' in US. Any ideas on good options that my nana wouldn't wear?

Actually, my daughter, who didn't inherit her mother's fluffy genes (she's a size 5), does wear "board shorts" for swimming. Her favorite is actually a tankini top with the board short bottoms -- not necessarily over the top, just on their own. I wouldn't worry about it. If you have board shorts, go ahead and wear them. They're probably more "in" than my old-lady style swimming suit with an attached skirt :eek: !

Archived