"Fluffy" women continued - when it's not formal..

ridge4

Cori--You didn't hijack this thread, you resurrected it!:p

When I saw the date, I thought the same thing:p....it is 7 years old.

I know I am heavier now than I was 7 years ago......:eek:

I like to wear some prints....just depends on the print.

Oh my goodness , I had not noticed the date on the thread, silly me. sorry

Cori

Cori,

Nothing wrong with resurrecting a thread. No need to apologize!

Sometimes it brings up whole new conversations and that's always fun. There are probably a lot of "fluffy" folks who would enjoy some new topics about clothing.

It's funny this came up. Today I was at Target & was so annoyed because they have tons for 'misses' but maybe 3 racks for plus. There are more racks for maternity than plus at my store. I think it's ridiculous. All I wanted were a couple shirts too, nothing fancy just solid colored shirts that aren't graphic t's. they were either bright ugly colors or stripes. Argh!

I scrimp and save to be able to go on my cruises. I can't afford to shop at Macy's, Dillard's, Nordstorm's etc......Target the sizes 2x don't mean anything I tried a blouse on that was 2x and it wouldn't button up. So someone out there give me ideas of resonable places to shop for clothing. By the way I'm a size 14 normally.

It's funny this came up. Today I was at Target & was so annoyed because they have tons for 'misses' but maybe 3 racks for plus. There are more racks for maternity than plus at my store. I think it's ridiculous. All I wanted were a couple shirts too, nothing fancy just solid colored shirts that aren't graphic t's. they were either bright ugly colors or stripes. Argh!

JC Penney is good for what you're looking for. At least it used to be back a few years ago when I was in plus sizes.

I scrimp and save to be able to go on my cruises. I can't afford to shop at Macy's, Dillard's, Nordstorm's etc......Target the sizes 2x don't mean anything I tried a blouse on that was 2x and it wouldn't button up. So someone out there give me ideas of resonable places to shop for clothing. By the way I'm a size 14 normally.

Hi, do you have consignment shops near where you live? I have shopped

that way for many years. There is a shop near me called "My Best Friend's

Closet" and the owner caters towards women size 14 and up. It is a really

neat shop.

I would google this category or if you still use a real phone book?

Look under "Consignment Stores".

I do shop in regular stores too but have used consignment on and

off alot and have found some wonderful deals:)

If you find a really good end of season sale at Dillard's you can get some amazing buys. In my area Dillard's has the best fluffy department outside of specialty stores. I have also gotton some good buys at Burlington Coat Factory. Back in February I came across a great end of season sale at Catherines. I got five tops that originally totalled $189 for $53.

Wasn't Target the store that had the big to-do about calling a plus size item "manatee" and the regular size item was "heather"?

If you find a really good end of season sale at Dillard's you can get some amazing buys. In my area Dillard's has the best fluffy department outside of specialty stores. I have also gotton some good buys at Burlington Coat Factory. Back in February I came across a great end of season sale at Catherines. I got five tops that originally totalled $189 for $53.

Wasn't Target the store that had the big to-do about calling a plus size item "manatee" and the regular size item was "heather"?

Thanks for the tip about Burlington; I haven't taken the time necessary to go through everything there but will now!

Yeah, Target was the culprit, I believe. Took issue since I resemble that remark!

Thanks for the tip about Burlington; I haven't taken the time necessary to go through everything there but will now!

Yeah, Target was the culprit, I believe. Took issue since I resemble that remark!

That was blown so out of proportion. The technical color of the dress was Manatee Grey, on BOTH the plus and the regular size.

The tech who added the plus went by the literal color the other rep who added the regular size got lazy and called it heather. Its not like the plus size tech decided "I am going to call this manatee because its plus size." The plus tech followed the rules and the other had no concern for quality in their work. Personally I thought it was blown way out of proportion. Should quality controll have caught it? Yes, but was it meant to be derrogatory? No.

I will agree that target's in person shopping for plus is ridiculous. Their online selection however is amazing. I have bought so much from their online section and most of the quality is leaps and bounds from what I buy now at places like the Avenue, or lane bryant or Old Navy (also online only) these days.... and I pay half the price. Most of my brick and motor store stuff lasts a season (if its something I love and wear a lot) and a year at most. I have been wearing a lot of my Target stuff for 3 yrs, and it still looks brand new.

Target online is my go to place to shop now, for quality and the free returns. I even won a $500 gift card for writing reviews (sometimes not positive!) about their plus sized clothes.

I don't even bother to look in Target for plus size anymore , it is pretty much non existent, and I am afraid that my local Ross is getting much the same way, just 1 long rack of tops and one rack of dresses , then your pretty much out of luck. I don't know if it is the store managers that order , or just the buyers are sending any. What ever it is a shame , that use to be my " go to" store, not any more. I don't have much luck with ordering online or by catalog, never seems to fit. I do try to drive to dress barn , occasionaly to see what they have, I have had some luck there.

Cori

I've just discovered Dress Barn (why didn't they give it a better name?) thanks to the ladies of Cruise Critic. I found a number of items I liked and will go back at the end of the season sales to hopefully get some (I hate to pay full price).

I love Old Navy online for casual cheap clothes. If you are looking for wear forever classics, this is not the place ... but if you are looking for cute, trendy pieces to wear a year or two, try Old Navy. I find their regular women's line runs big; as fluffy as I am, I can wear a lot of their regular sizes.

I SOO agree. Did you know that the inseams and lengths on plus size outfits are automatically 2 inches longer than in misses sizes? Some doofus must think that you grow in height as well as waist size. I'm 5'4 and rely on my mother to hem my pants (usually involves cutting off several inches) and a good alterations shop for anything else.

I am 5'4" with short legs. I have to hem misses sizes. Mom and Grandma used to do it, but no longer. I found that I can wear 1 size larger in petite to get the right length.

Talbots carries women's petite's. I know they are expensive, but some areas have outlets. It is nice that they offer an option for plus sized short women!

I refuse to HAVE TO shop on-line because they can't put plus sizes in the store. So I won't buy online from either Target or Old Navy. Why should I have to pay for shipping (unless I spend more than X) just because I'm a larger size.

I stick to Dress Barn & our K-Mart too. I do Lands End online since we don't have a local store so everyone has to pay for shipping :p

I don't even bother to look in Target for plus size anymore , it is pretty much non existent, and I am afraid that my local Ross is getting much the same way, just 1 long rack of tops and one rack of dresses , then your pretty much out of luck.

Cori

I had noticed that about our Ross stores and thought it was my imagination or something. Used to have lots to choose from; now about an eighth of that.

Wonder where they're sending the plus size stuff? Perhaps I'll ask the manager next time I'm in but bet they just say they put out what they get.

Frustrating, nevertheless.

Archived