"Fluffy" women continued - when it's not formal..

ridge4

Thank you for starting this thread! I've been stressing over going on our upcoming cruise. This is our 5th cruise but my first as Fluffy. You have no idea how much this thread has helped me get over it.

I went to Dillards last week and was able to get some great deals. I got lots of slacks and blouses, and even found a decent simi formal outfit. Now if I could just find some comfy size 7 double wide dress shoes.:D

For those of you that have cruised before... a question.

Are there many "fluffy" women in swimwear? Is there much pointing & snickering that goes on? Or do most people mind their own business and behave like adults?(this is coming from a woman that has spent her life in plus sizes, went from a size 24 to a 16 over 5 years ago, but still very flabby & insecure)

Thanx!:) :)

Amy

I think you'll be just fine. Much to my surprise, as a new cruiser a couple of years ago, the majority of the other passengers weren't much better looking in a bathing suit than I am :D (well, that might be stretching it a little bit), but I certainly wasn't aware of any laughing or finger pointing.

I hate getting in a bathing suit, and will avoid it at all costs, but I certainly wasn't going to let it stop me from going in the ocean at Roatan. I wasn't conscious that anyone else even noticed my "extra-fluffy" shape. Have a great time and try not to worry -- no one will even notice what you look like, as they'll be too busy worrying about their own appearance.

""I wasn't conscious that anyone else even noticed my "extra-fluffy" shape. Have a great time and try not to worry -- no one will even notice what you look like, as they'll be too busy worrying about their own appearance.""

Thanx Ute fan,

I was hoping someone would say that!

I really want to enjoy the sun & the pool. Dusted off the elliptical trainer today, we'll see how many pounds I can drop in 48 days....

I'll still be plenty fluffy, but it'll make me feel better!

Hi all,

Have to put my two cents in here. I love stylish clothes that are quality made but I HATE paying an arm and a leg - I only want to wear it for one or two seasons not the rest of my life.

I recently found bhexpress on ebay and wow - I snagged Ralph Lauren wool lined slacks for $11, Ralph Lauren wool lined blazer for $8 ($269 retail), London Fog coat for $11 and an Elisabeth winter coat for $22. I found a ton of other items - I spent $218 got 4 slacks, two coats, 1 blazer, and 8 tops and one formal gown by Onyx Nights for $18. Check it out on ebay - if you know your size in the brand names this could really help boost your wardrobe.

Dillards remains my favorite because their sales are so terrific and all good quality clothing.

Happy Shopping

Fluffy one from PA.

Cruisecrazymama - check out Zappos on line - got a great pair of wide sandals - stylish - comfortable and something I can wear (I've had both knees replaced)

Bathing suits - go on out there in your suit - WHO CARES - enjoy and dont' stress over what someone else thinks. If you feel good in it - you'll look good it no matter what your shape.

Ok, here's my list of "fluffy" places to shop...

Try Ebay...put in plus size whatever and see what pops up. I've found gowns, lingerie, swimsuits and coverups, dresses and everything else there. Most of the prices are very very reasonable too.

alight.com They have younger styles in just about everything. They also carry items that would look good on just about any fluffy woman.

newport-news.com They have both regular and plus sizes. I bought several swimsuits this Summer from them at $9.99 a piece. Remember swimsuits stretch, so you may not have to buy your true size. I didn't. In fact, the ones I bought are 3 sizes smaller than the clothing I normally wear. They fit just fine. They also have styles with shorts and others are more modest.

If you do a google search on plus size whatever you happen to be looking for, you'll get lots of listings.

Good luck.

I checked them out, They have a couple pair that I really like. I'm just a bit afraid to order them though. My feet are soooooo hard to fit. I have a huge bunion on my left foot and a couple wierd pinky toes that like to "peek out of the straps...LOL Yeah I know TMI :D Do you know if they have a good return policy?

Brenda

I was glad to see someone mentioned Torrid. I shopped there all the time when I was a punk rock, size 24 teen. I loved that there was a company that "got me". Since then I started working at Lane Bryant (been there for 2.5 years!) and have been shopping there almost exclusively for ages b/c of my discount. Now I'm losing weight and am between a 16 and an 18 and I have been able to shop in "real" stores for the first time in my life. I actually own some stuff from American Eagle Outifitters now!

For plus size stuff I've found some really good stuff in Filene's Basement's plus section, but it's really hit or miss. Old Navy's plus section is fairly decent, and so is Deb's but there isn't one REALLY close to me. I refuse to do Catherine's even though I still get my discount there, but I've found some good things at Fashion Bug (those are the LB sister stores).

Lane Bryant has a new younger line out now too. I think it is only available from their website, but the brand is called LB Mix and it is linked on their front page (direct link: http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/promo/lb/lbmix_lp.asp). There are some REALLY cute items in it, I wish I got my discount on that stuff too!

I got a great white poet's shirt from Travelsmith's today

It's a great shirt that nice and long and you can put a collered cami underneath. It comes in a few other colors and it cotton/rayon for great traveling!

http://www.travelsmith.com/ts/larger.jsp?ContentOID=2996386&Category=%2fProductHierarchy%2fWomen's+Plus+Sizes&Category1=&source=category.jsp

Diane

product_detail_image_template.jpg.13b968a4f72a4395a8bac065c90b222d.jpg

Its not everywhere, but if you are on a tight budget you may want to try out Cato Fashions. They have a plus size section and most of the clothes are the same as the non plus size side. They have lots of sales and if you catch it right you can get some great deals. For example the week after christmas, I was able to get 3 full outfits - a pair of shoes - and 4 pairs of earings for $110.

I also like shoping at Goody's Department Store. They have a plus size juniors section with young clothes. I like getting shorts there because they are normal length and not down to my knees (and I am 5'4).

I bought a bathingsuit a juninio.com for my upcoming cruise. Liked a lot of stuff on their page.

Sgrgirl

Go ahead and put those bathing suits on!!!

Believe me, there are all sizes (men and women) on a cruise. In all my cruises I've never seen anyone point fingers at someone who was fluffy and wearing a bathing suit. Everyone is there to have a good time whether it's at the pool or the beach. My favorite suits are Gottex, form fitting without feeling "girdle like"..and I did find a Land's End that fits well. Since we live at the beach, I have a collection of suits. I'll save the old nylon tanks for the yard and take the better fitting ones in public!!

As far as Chico's outfits (Traveler collection)....I happen to love them. Because they aren't "cheap spandex", they don't cling like the cheapies. What I did find was that by going up one size, they looked better...A size 1 looked OK but the size 2 looked much better and didn't show bulges. (And for anyone who hasn't heard of Chico's...No I am not a size 1!! They size their collection from 0-3!! )...They pack well, take up no room, don't wrinkle and there is a wide variety of mix and match. You can dress them up or down. They are great for casual nights when cruising and can be rinsed out by hand and will be dry in a few hours.

It is funny though how manufacturer's think: My husband is 5'10, 180 lbs but needs a 19/20 neck in dress shirts..so you hear the neck size and assume he's a "big guy". We buy the shirt (if you can ever find anything over 18 )and the sleeve length is six inches over his fingers, length is to his knees and the shirt bags all over...but the neck fits!! He is happier when I buy him short sleeve dress shirts but even those short sleeves in that size are past his elbows!! Sometimes the cost of alterations are almost as much as the shirt..(recent one...$62.00 for the shirt on sale...$31 for the alterations)...If only I knew how to sew!!!!

I didn't know the definition of fluffer either...thought it was a guy who liked fluffy women!!!!!!!!

Go ahead and put those bathing suits on!!!

Believe me, there are all sizes (men and women) on a cruise. In all my cruises I've never seen anyone point fingers at someone who was fluffy and wearing a bathing suit. Everyone is there to have a good time whether it's at the pool or the beach. My favorite suits are Gottex, form fitting without feeling "girdle like"..and I did find a Land's End that fits well. Since we live at the beach, I have a collection of suits. I'll save the old nylon tanks for the yard and take the better fitting ones in public!!

As far as Chico's outfits (Traveler collection)....I happen to love them. Because they aren't "cheap spandex", they don't cling like the cheapies. What I did find was that by going up one size, they looked better...A size 1 looked OK but the size 2 looked much better and didn't show bulges. (And for anyone who hasn't heard of Chico's...No I am not a size 1!! They size their collection from 0-3!! )...They pack well, take up no room, don't wrinkle and there is a wide variety of mix and match. You can dress them up or down. They are great for casual nights when cruising and can be rinsed out by hand and will be dry in a few hours.

It is funny though how manufacturer's think: My husband is 5'10, 180 lbs but needs a 19/20 neck in dress shirts..so you hear the neck size and assume he's a "big guy". We buy the shirt (if you can ever find anything over 18 )and the sleeve length is six inches over his fingers, length is to his knees and the shirt bags all over...but the neck fits!! He is happier when I buy him short sleeve dress shirts but even those short sleeves in that size are past his elbows!! Sometimes the cost of alterations are almost as much as the shirt..(recent one...$62.00 for the shirt on sale...$31 for the alterations)...If only I knew how to sew!!!!

I didn't know the definition of fluffer either...thought it was a guy who liked fluffy women!!!!!!!!

Are there many "fluffy" women in swim wear? Is there much pointing & snickering that goes on? Or do most people mind their own business and behave like adults?(this is coming from a woman that has spent her life in plus sizes, went from a size 24 to a 16 over 5 years ago, but still very flabby & insecure)

Amy

Amy, there are all shapes and sizes in swim wear and many rubenesque women in swim wear. Probably more so than women in swim wear size 2-14. What you will not see is any pointing or snickering.

Are there many "fluffy" women in swimwear? Is there much pointing & snickering that goes on? Or do most people mind their own business and behave like adults?(this is coming from a woman that has spent her life in plus sizes, went from a size 24 to a 16 over 5 years ago, but still very flabby & insecure)

Amy

Amy,

(Amy here)...They are very good on cruises about treating all equal, even when on excursions and such. I am much bigger than you are, and do not worry about it when I am out swimming or sun bathing. I wear usually a tankini or suit with shorts at bottom (not much for swimdress', not much form) and I feel fine. I am a little more sensitive about my arms, but oh well I say. Don't worry yourself, and enjoy your vacation! :)

Thank you all for the encouragement :)

I've got my 2 miraclesuits (1 skirtini & 1 tankini)

& darn it... I'll enjoy 'em!

I guess a few visits to the tanning salon are in order.

Thanx again, Amy

Only 39 days & counting till Panama Canal, coral Princess.

I am more than a little "fluffy", like my clothes more casual/loose fitting, and prefer natural fibers. I also like shopping online. These are my favorite web sites:

Regular day wear: http://makingitbigonline.com (I love their pants!)

Sports wear and underwear: http://www.junonia.com

Elegant/formal wear: http://www.ullapopken.com

These sites aren't exactly cheap, but I frequently check their sales and buy when things get marked down towards the end of the season.

Thanks for those links. I had never heard of ullapopken or makingitbigonline. I'll have to check them out.

cathyoo,

I touched briefly on this on page 1 of this thread. I found some things through Silhouettes that were of great quality; but their prices were still too high. Then I found UllaPopken's catalog. Their things are reasonably priced (no great bargains except, for the occasional sale). One of the things I LOVE about U.P. is that most of their tops are a little longer (min. 30") & have side slits (for that little extra wiggle room). They cover the hips nicely; but are not too long. I found a U-neck, 3/4 sleeve top that I loved; & bought it in 9 different colors. I must have 30 pieces from U.P. One of the greatest little surprises in my travels....In 2003, a friend & I were window shopping in Athens, Greece; & happened upon a U.P. store. (I didn't realize they even had "stores".) I was like a kid in a candy store. They don't carry a lot of merchandise; & I didn't see anything in the store that I had seen in the catalog (maybe because it was European market & not U.S.). But I did come away w/ a few things. If I may pass along a little sizing advice. They are pretty good about describing the fit of the garment (loose-fitting or oversize, for example). I'm normally a 22-24 (2X); but most of my U.P. tops are 24-26. So, you might keep that in mind if you like a looser fit. Happy shopping!

Live4cruzin,

you are right, Popken's European merchandise is quite different from the US stores.

Ulla Popken is a German company with quite a few stores in Germany and other European countries. I "discovered" them here in the US in the late 90's when I came across their store at the big mall in King of Prussia, PA (forgot the name of the mall). They told me there that the US company was founded by Ulla's daughter.

I still go to a Popken store in Berlin whenever I visit home, because I like their European sortiment much better than what they have over here.

Its not everywhere, but if you are on a tight budget you may want to try out Cato Fashions. They have a plus size section and most of the clothes are the same as the non plus size side. They have lots of sales and if you catch it right you can get some great deals. For example the week after christmas, I was able to get 3 full outfits - a pair of shoes - and 4 pairs of earings for $110.

I also like shoping at Goody's Department Store. They have a plus size juniors section with young clothes. I like getting shorts there because they are normal length and not down to my knees (and I am 5'4).

I bought a bathingsuit a juninio.com for my upcoming cruise. Liked a lot of stuff on their page.

Sgrgirl

Most of my wardrobe is from there. You are so right. They have awesom sales!

I have to thank the ladies here that recommended eBay. It never occurred to me that eBay would have any plus size clothing, but they have a wide variety in all plus sizes, even the upper ones. I have found some amazing bargains there over the last few weeks.

Thank you all!!!

I just wanted to thank you all for this thread - this is my first post & I'll be going on my first cruise next month. This covered all my biggest concerns and I feel so much more confident now!

I also wanted to answer cruisecrazymomma's question about buying shoes from Zappo's.... I buy from there frequently & their return policy is the best I have ever seen. There is no shipping cost either way, and if you need to return, you just print a label off their website, tape it to the box & send it off. EASY! They are fast too, you'll get your order within 3-5 days.

Thanks again everyone, this is a wonderful board!

• 6 years later...

Don't mean to hijack this thread, just wondering if any of you ladies (I am fluffy also) have noticed that some designers think that any piece of larger size clothing must have a huge floral print or really loud stripes going horizontal, or huge arm holes. I mean really , wouldn't you think that they would do just a bit of research as to what we like and need. True some ladies do like these things and thats great, but some of us like a more subdued style with more neutral colors. And that is not always easy to find.

Cori

Archived