Where to buy Venice Card?

I am helping my brother plan his cruise to Europe. He is interested in booking the Venice Card before arriving on September 25th. Does anyone know what location, is the closest to where the Brilliance of the Seas docks?

Thanks

Here are the locations from the Venicecard.com website

1) Vela Ticket Office, Piazzale Roma (8.00 - 20.00)

(2) Vela Ticket Office, Venice Train Station (8.00 - 20.00)

(3) Vela Ticket Office, Marco Polo Airport Venice (9,00 - 19,00)

(4) Alilaguna Ticket Office, Marco Polo Airport Venice (19,00 - 24,00)

(5) Vela Ticket Office, Tronchetto Terminal (8,00 - 20,00)

(6) Vela Ticket Office, Terminal Punta Sabbioni (8.00 - 20.00)

It's an all-inclusive sightseeing and transportation card:

http://www.venicecard.com/index_eng.jsp

To answer the OP's question, Piazzale Roma is the nearest to the Brilliance's docking site, but why not buy it online in advance?

If you do a search on the word "Roma" on this board, you should find several posts (including mine) about how to get there from the dock.

How do you know which card to buy -- the orange or blue? Do you feel that it is a good deal?

Personally, I liked what DH and I did: we bought a 24-hour vapretto pass, and took the #1 all the way from Piazzalle Roma to St. Mark's Square, and then back again. Outside, looking one way one trip, and the other way the next. Then we took it back again, and got off and walked around through the cobblestone streets.

The second day (the Brilliance was there for two days), we went to the Secret Itineraries tour at the Doge's Palace.

The vapretto pass is about 12 Euros, and we saw plenty just riding around.

We fell in love with Venice: kissed going underneath the Rialto Bridge, and then again walking over it!!

The choice depends on what your plans are, and where you are staying for pre or post-cruise stays in Venice.

We are getting the Blue card. The Orange card is a little more because it includes discounts at 16 museums (which we aren't interested in). If you are just going to use it to ride around Venice, or going from place to place, or hop on/hop off, then get the Blue.

We are getting the extra option for the Alilaguna service from the airport to our pre-cruise hotel (St. Marks Square/San Marco) (Venice to Barcelona cruise), and then using it the next day right into the port. Otherwise, you have to go to Piazza Roma, and walk with your luggage about 10 minutes to the port. (If you are going Barcelona to Venice, then you might want to use Alilaguna from the port to the airport.)

If arriving by ship, Piazza Roma is the closest. And even buying on line, you still have to pick it up locally. I do however thing you'd be better with just the vaporetto pass which you can pick up locally. We had the Venice card last year and really only used it for the vaporetto.

Does the vaporetto pass take you out to the Lido? That's where our hotel is for 2 nights. I thought for our case, since we are coming from the airport, we could go direct to the Lido on the Aliguna, and then take it again to get into Venice, and use the Blue card all around and back to Lido at night. Then go from the Lido direct to the pier by Aliguna. Does this sound like the best plan to those who have been there?

Here's what the ACTV site has to say about the vapretto passes:

Other special travel cards are available allowing unlimited use of all water bus lines (excluding the Alilaguna, Fusina and Clodia services) and on the buses in Mestre and Lido.

These cards entitle passengers to carry one item of luggage with them:

One-day Travel Card for € 12.00, valid from 24 hors from the time of stamping.

Three-day Travel Card for € 25,00 with a 72-hour validity from the time of stamping.

The #1 goes to Lido, and this is the vapretto that traverses the entire Grand Canal.

Archived