Is Carnival that bad?

Island_Guy

[quote name='cherylandtk'] [SIZE=4]But they did have a more noticeable group of what I will call 'unique personalities'. [/SIZE][/quote]

Very well said...and with such sweeetness. I would have never put this so delicately. I really was smiling.

For some reason it reminded me of my southern friend who always, after saying something unkind about someone,would quickly add..."and Bless her Soul."

" She has not an ounce of taste or style...and bless her soul."

" Does that poor woman brush her teeth at all?...and bless her soul!"

You are Divine.
I completely agree with you...unique personalities indeed.
But they are usually all very happy people!
Bless their souls!

I have been cruising with CCL since the Elation was their newest ship. Of late, CCL doesn't appeal to me like it used to. My last cruise had a lot of passengers who, for lack of a better word, were bumpkins who ate shirtless in the buffet, "saved" endless rows of chairs and argued their right to keep them (it got ugly ).
When I first cruised them in '98, my mom warned me not to go on a carnival rat barge. I went on the Elation when she was a couple of months old. She was way better than the Rccl cruise I had taken on the S.O.S back in '88. The ship was beautiful, passengers were classy,service and entertainment top notch. Food? Hey, we had lobster on BOTH formal nights, even had real baked alaska! I could go on and on...
The newer ships though bigger, are just too crowded. I am tired of seeing the same shows, the "colors game" and the "dancing waiters". I like to explore a new ship, but exploring the valor wasn't much different from the Glory (surprise!).It'll be a long time before I sail them again. Hey, I still miss the rum swizzle parties!
Room service is still good, food is still good top excellent (but on my last cruise, was told that they no longer serve mushroom risotto with the lobster! For shame!).
Carnival is still a good cruise, but the biggest place they have cut corners is with cramming people on these Conquest class ships. If you are a new cruiser, I can't think of a better cruiseline to go with than carnival. As for price, well, I did some looking around and the CHEAPEST price this week for a xmas cruise wasn't Carnival, it was the Golden Princess out of New Orleans, so that is where I'll be on 12/23/06. If you go with Carnival, be forwarned that you'll gain weight- their pizza, burgers, deli sandwiches are top notch as is some of the chinese food, especially the last day at sea . The dining room food...mmmmm!

[quote name='Wennfred']Thats right, she has you sucked into paying her more LOL.

Fred[/quote]

As I have mentioned before, I still cannot believe some TA's are still 'in the dark' about Carnival. Doesn't make them seem very knowledgable... But you might have hit the nail right on the head there, Wennfred.

If I avoided everything/anything without trying it myself, how would I really know. No one knows my true tastes.

And then it really pains my that someone is passing off opinions as a first hand experience, and find it's far from the truth.

Get out there and try EVERYTHING!

[quote name='dclark']I have been cruising with CCL since the Elation was their newest ship. Of late, CCL doesn't appeal to me like it used to. My last cruise had a lot of passengers who, for lack of a better word, were bumpkins who ate shirtless in the buffet, "saved" endless rows of chairs and argued their right to keep them (it got ugly ).
[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure where you are from, but here in the South we call that the "bubba" factor. Please know that is an endearing term....since I am myself married to a bubba and raising two bubbas of my own. The only difference is that my "bubbas" know how to act. And they will certainly answer to this "mother bubba" should they forget.

I have always been in the hopes that Carnival cruising would never go the way of "flying". Remember when flying was an event. Now it is a cattle call chore that one does only if they have to. so sad....

Put me on the Bubba list and I promise you I have more manners then most of the guys you see on Princess RCCL and X. Been on all of them they are all great in there on ways. But over the past 10 years Carnival has improved the most 36 days to till the MIrcale and counting.

[quote name='rdk123']Put me on the Bubba list and I promise you I have more manners then most of the guys you see on Princess RCCL and X. Been on all of them they are all great in there on ways. But over the past 10 years Carnival has improved the most 36 days to till the MIrcale and counting.[/QUOTE]

29 days to our Miracle cruise!!!! (me and my bubbas can't wait!!)

I love Carnival, have not tried any others except the Big Red Boat. Many of my friends and family have not liked RCCL. I have seen some wild things on a cruise and hope some don't have stories about us that they keep telling. :D I have seen worse at resorts 4 and 5 stars and at Disney World (go during gay pride week and you'll have those stories to tell.) :eek: For those that think they will have a bad time on Carnival don't go, half of cruising is a great attitude. I hate listening to whinners all over the ship. A vacation is what you make it, I'll keep cruising Carnival and keep on smiling.

[quote name='Mirage2005']Cruised Carnival twice. My first cruise and now my last cruise. As far as the remark about my TA, she is a personal friend. She was dead on about Carnival. I couldn't resist the price and learned the hard way. You get what you pay for.[/quote]

As far as why it is called "The most popular cruise line in the world" NO it is not based on Carnival Corp's other brands.. it is strictly Carnival Cruise Lines. It is based on number of passengers carried!

-Mike

[quote name='EngIceDave']As with a lot of things travel related, it's all about attitude.

If you are a detailed fussy personality who is looking to be waited on hand-and-foot, served 5-star meals and have a personal wiper in the toilet, Carnival is not for you.

Carnival is not a "party boat" as some believe it is, but it is geared more towards "active adults." That can also include families.

If you're allergic to children, you might have a seizure or two on Carnival, but not constantly. Contrary to what some portray, a Carnival ship is not a giant daycare center. There may be a couple dozen kids on a ship, but chances are you won't see them unless you go kid hunting.

If you are looking for a floating adults only retirement village, Carnival is not for you.
If you are still young on the inside, willing to laugh at yourself and with others, overlook minor inconveniences from time to time and just "go with the flow," Carnival is for you.

"Stick in the Mud" is not a moniker that fits Carnival

The food is good to excellent, the ships are clean, the entertainment is good, drinks are cold and the ports are in the same place as for other lines.

Bottomline?
Carnival isn't for old farts

Are you an old fart?[/QUOTE]
Old parts, but young spirit..Just got a new "tummy"..2 weeks old now..looking forward to re-couping on holiday..have been on others..it's nice to change about..have read all sorts of comments..like a movie..if I am entertained..it is a good movie..if I sleep on clean sheets, eat great food, laff out loud, and shop a little..this is a good cruise. I am not hard to please, or nit picky..love nice things and expect value for my dollar..spent few dollars for my solo..and still I'm geared for my own kinda fab time..meet some cc'ers..eat, drink be pretty, and merry...apprieciate all the tips so far, and my list grows..just as excited over my 13 voyage as my 1st years back...nuff said..daaling/judi

I am the one that started this thread, so I thought I would share my conclusion.

I appreciate all of the comments that everyone has shared. Like I said, I specifically posted this on the Carnival board, because I wanted those experienced with Carnival... not those who have not been on the line, but held their opinion.

I guess I disagree with those that say that you can't have a bad cruise. That's a risk I am not willing to take. I still am working, so my vacation time is both limted and valuable.

Unfortunately, I am embarrassed to say that my conclusion is that I might be snob. I simply don't want to be on a boat with people who don't wear shirts in the buffet line. (Ok, we typically don't eat in the buffet... my spouse typically calls it the "cafeteria". We typically eat all of our meals in the dining room).

I live in the south, and am more than familiary with Bubbas. The reason we live on a private island is that I don't want to deal with Bubbas. I see them every Saturday in Walmart, which is why we started to go to the Target instead.

I guess it boils down to spending an extra couple of hundred dollars to make sure that we have a pleasant trip. That seems like a small investment that should yield a guaranteed return rather than cutting corners, and finding out that we are eating our dinner with Bubba.

[quote name='Island_Guy']I am the one that started this thread, so I thought I would share my conclusion.

I appreciate all of the comments that everyone has shared. Like I said, I specifically posted this on the Carnival board, because I wanted those experienced with Carnival... not those who have not been on the line, but held their opinion.

I guess I disagree with those that say that you can't have a bad cruise. That's a risk I am not willing to take. I still am working, so my vacation time is both limted and valuable.

Unfortunately, I am embarrassed to say that my conclusion is that I might be snob. I simply don't want to be on a boat with people who don't wear shirts in the buffet line. (Ok, we typically don't eat in the buffet... my spouse typically calls it the "cafeteria". We typically eat all of our meals in the dining room).

I live in the south, and am more than familiary with Bubbas. The reason we live on a private island is that I don't want to deal with Bubbas. I see them every Saturday in Walmart, which is why we started to go to the Target instead.

I guess it boils down to spending an extra couple of hundred dollars to make sure that we have a pleasant trip. That seems like a small investment that should yield a guaranteed return rather than cutting corners, and finding out that we are eating our dinner with Bubba.[/QUOTE]

That's the beauty of so many different kinds of cruise lines...so that everyone can find their niche'. Different stroke for different folks. Not better or worse...just different.

Yes, we vacation at The Cloister and The Greenbriar....but we can also relax in our motorhome at an RV park and still have a good time. Hubby gets 7 weeks of vacation a year and we are blessed that we can spend a lot more on cruiselines if we wanted to. But we have found a "happy medium". I would be glad to try Celebrity if they offered karaoke...but they don't. The past year we have stayed with the Spirit class ships which (so far) has had a very low "bubba factor". Now would my first choice be a 3/4 day on any cruiseline??? Nope, because they are well known to be "weekend party barges" and that isn't my thing.

I think it is more about picking the "ship" than the cruise line. I have read about some very unhappy people on every cruiseline...if you pick the wrong ship. (And they spent $1,000's more ~ not a couple of hundred~ for the priviledge.)

Island Guy, I consider myself a bit of a snob as well. It angers my wife that my personal motto is basically "The Average Public Is A Moron."

and I really do believe that, because the public proves it all too often.

That said, I also do my very best to "consider the source" when it comes to the disrespectful or odd behaviors of people. You or I cannot blame Carnival because of a few idiots or slimy people are onboard their ships, it can happen on any cruiseline.

I supposed if you forked up 2x, 3x or 10x the rate and sailed on on Cunard or Radisson, you might avoid those types, but then you run into the other types....the snobs...the REAL Snobs, the ones who think theirs doesn't stink and everyone is beneath them.

You know, if you think about something, the ones you, I or someone else might think is a bit undesirable is probably a whole heck of a lot more fun to be around, talk to and also more likely to say Please, thank you, excuse me and hold the door open for you when you're walking towards it.

Perspective my friend, perspective.

You'll never find 100% of everything anywhere

[quote name='EngIceDave']That said, I also do my very best to "consider the source" when it comes to the disrespectful or odd behaviors of people. You or I cannot blame Carnival because of a few idiots or slimy people are onboard their ships, it can happen on any cruiseline.

I supposed if you forked up 2x, 3x or 10x the rate and sailed on on Cunard or Radisson, you might avoid those types, but then you run into the other types....the snobs...the REAL Snobs, the ones who think theirs doesn't stink and everyone is beneath them.
[/quote]

Why is it always everybody else? Can that be? :eek:

I have to agree that you should pick the ship and not the line. Our first Carnival was on a smaller older "party ship" and we swore off Carnival after that. Then we had an opportunity that came up and took a chance because the reviews and said nothing but good things about the new ships. Our experience lived up to the reviews.

That being said, if money is no object, there is a lot to choose from out there. Disney is my personal favorite because the folks that sail that line seem the friendliest. But there are a lot of kids on those ships. I can't remember if they allowed shirtless folks to cruise the buffet. I can't remember shirtless "guys?" on any of the bigger newer ships on any lines.

Kevin

While I have not had the luxury, yet, of cruising on a number of different cruise lines, I have done both Carnival and RCCL. I was always under the impression that Carnival was a party boat with the 'Bubbas' and RCCL was more 'upscale'. However, after taking a few cruises with Carnival over the years, we decide to try RCCL. We took a 4 day since we were bringing the kids along for the first time and weren't sure how they would like it. I have never seen more 'Bubbas' on a boat then I saw on that cruise. We all had a great time, but were disappointed in our cruising companions.

This past year, we took a 7 day on Carnival with the kids, since they loved the first so much, and were very happy with our fellow cruisers, a definite step (or many steps) up from what I saw on RCCL. Will I try them again, absolutely, but next time will be on a newer ship and never again for less than 7 days.

So, when you are looking for the cruise for you, look at the ship, the itinerary, the price, the reviews for that ship, just about anything except the cruise line. Its got the least to do with what you pick, at least that's my opinion.

[quote name='nckvilledudes']Just wondered if you used Cruise Critic before you used Carnival???? Most of your 7 posts are very negative. Why tell others to avoid a whole cruise line just because you had one bad time on Carnival????

Dan[/quote]

Why tell others? Why not? Since everyone on these boards are always praising Carnival, why should I not give my comments on a bad experience? Everyone is titled to their opinion. As far as using Cruise Critic before. Yes, I have. Been on 9 cruises and NEVER had the need to complain before. Went on the Celebration many years ago (1st cruise) and had no complaints. Believe me, if there was anything good to say about my last cruise, I would be the first to write about it.

[quote name='Mirage2005']Why tell others? Why not? Since everyone on these boards are always praising Carnival, why should I not give my comments on a bad experience? Everyone is titled to their opinion. As far as using Cruise Critic before. Yes, I have. Been on 9 cruises and NEVER had the need to complain before. Went on the Celebration many years ago (1st cruise) and had no complaints. Believe me, if there was anything good to say about my last cruise, I would be the first to write about it.[/quote]
I don't think that person was saying you shouldn't write about your experience. The thing is, you're taking your one bad cruise and writing off the entire line because of it, telling people to avoid Carnival entirely. Just remember Carnival Corporation owns MANY cruise lines... including the other lines you're considering cruising with.

Archived