Pinnacle $30 Ahhhhhh!!!!

fb0075

We've tried the Pinnacle many times, different ships.............as far as I'm concerned, the only thing (other than my husband's porterhouse) worth extra money in the P is the triple creme brulee and it's definitely worth extra money...........amazing.

Planked halubut, dry and tough.............even when done over............same with planked "scampi" which I heard about on this chat...................dry, hard and very small............

We'd already decided to not go to the Pinnacle any more; they need a new menu and new quality control.

The last time our waiter forgot several things...........and THAT was the time we were invited back because of poor service and poor food on our first night (noticed by the head waiter).

No more Pinnacle for us.

I agree on the seafood items. The first time I had the planked halibut, they must have removed it right out of the freezer, it was still frozen inside! The next time I ordered it, it was way overdone and tough. The shrimp scampi as they call it was dry and almost inedible. When they improve the menu for non meat eating guests, I may try again.........jean:cool:

I never liked the idea of having restaurants on a cruise where you had to pay extra in the first place, although I've visited them on my Carnival and Costa cruises. I remember when the fine food included in the price of your cruise ticket was one of the major things one looked forward to when cruising, and a big part of which cruise line one chose. The fact that a cruise was fairly "all inclusive" was a major selling point "back in the days." Now it's extra charges for this, extra for that. Used to be the only "extras" were gambling and shore excursions (and tipping). Even the drinks used to be cheap. Well, guess that was a long time ago. I hate the way the cruise lines are nickeling and diming people so that your choices are (if you have the bucks) to go with one of the truly luxury cruises or don't bother at all (or keep reaching into your pocket).

Is it really necessary for the cruise lines to start charging for things they used to include in the price of the cruise? Is it just greed? Is their profit margin so small that they have to do this? Is there an end to how far they'll go?

So, no, I won't be visiting the extra charge "specialty" restaurants anymore. Hopefully, the dining room will offer the quality meals one expects of a better-than-average cruise line. They certainly should. Maybe if their specialty restaurants sit empty, the cruise lines will get the message.

Rose

It's all about Marketing and competition. The first things that people look at when they are booking cruises tend to be when it's leaving, where it's going, and PRICE. If HAL for example were to go back to the good old days when pretty much everything was included and drinks were cheap, their cost to get on board would be MUCH higher than their main competition (RCCL, Celebrity, Princess from what I've been reading here). The mass majority of people buying cruises aren't as well informed as the frequenters of this board, so they wouldn't know why HAL was so much more expensive and totally toss them from the equation. It's a lot easier to fill these mega liners and then have you upgrade as you go to the experience that you choose. So to really have a chance of making it in the world of cruising offering the all-inclusive style experience is to be a truly luxury line where people are willing to shell out more than most people could ever afford.

PG, I'll go once. I spend a lot of time working on the best deal to get on the ship with full knowledge that when I'm on it, I generally don't watch what I'm spending. $20 or $30, I'll go once for the experience. The extra charges are one of the reasons I won't go on NCL though. If I wanted to pay for dinner every night, I'd stay on land.

How did I miss this thread?

I know I've been busy since Friday, but ... yeesh!

People ... lay off Bruce. He knows what he is talking about. And, by the by, he's been working in this business for MORE than 23 years. Perhaps his choice of referents for some passengers was a bit ... well ... harsh. But he was, nevertheless, accurate.

As for the Pinnacle being "busy" or "empty." I've seen it both. However, for the most part it seems to do a good amount of business ... at least from my observations. And ... YES ... the Galley for the Pinnacle is under-sized, especially on the S-class ships, where the Pinnacle was entirely retro-fitted. I'm a little surprised about that being the case on the Vistas, but as Bruce says nautical engineering sometimes leaves a little bit to be desired. And those crew elevators ARE tiny. I once road in one while on an emergency chaplain call. It was CLAUSTROPHOBIC for a guy my size.

And as for the $30 charge. Tonight I had dinner with a friend at a VERY FINE Steakhouse here in Dallas, and I paid CONSIDERABLY MORE than $30. My portion of the bill, excluding wine but including appetizer, salad, entree, and dessert, was closer to $80. So ... $30 for the Pinnacle isn't really out of line. And the atmosphere and the "break from the main dining room routine" is certainly welcome. Would I rather pay only $20? SURE. But an extra $10 per person isn't about to break my bank. Not after paying a thousand, or much more, for the cruise.

Oh, and Bruce, THANK YOU for the info on the lunch prices remaining the same. As I was reading the thread through I was wondering about that. The Pinnacle Lunch IS one of the best secrets aboard ship. I'm glad it's staying $10 per person.

How did I miss this thread?

I know I've been busy since Friday, but ... yeesh!

Oh, and Bruce, THANK YOU for the info on the lunch prices remaining the same. As I was reading the thread through I was wondering about that. The Pinnacle Lunch IS one of the best secrets aboard ship. I'm glad it's staying $10 per person.

Rev,

You didn't miss the thread, this thread started Today. This is by far the hottest thread I've seen on the HAL board yet. There were even a lot of posts...moderated...

I'm very happy to learn that the Pinnacle serves lunch for $10/pp. I'll do that a couple of times I'm sure, as I don't think that I've ever made it to the dining room for lunch on any cruise, PG sounds perfect. I knew they did breakfast and lunch for the suites, which I couldn't convince DW this trip as she'd rather have the extra $2000 to spend.

I agree on the seafood items. The first time I had the planked halibut, they must have removed it right out of the freezer, it was still frozen inside! The next time I ordered it, it was way overdone and tough. The shrimp scampi as they call it was dry and almost inedible. When they improve the menu for non meat eating guests, I may try again.........jean:cool:

I do love fish, but am not a non meat eater. Even then, I am wondering if maybe we should just skip the PG altogether. We were going to splurge and pay for both our friends and us, but I don't think I feel like spending even $20 a person for food that isn't any better than what you get in the dining room. I think I need to hear more about it before I order a Bon Voyage gift for our friends and ourselves. NMNita

I wonder if HAl would let us bring our own meat on? I know the alcohol thing is a big taboo but hey what about my own cow?:confused:

Also, Rev Neal...we were curious about you and ended up listening to one of your homilies "what not to wear" very good. You are an awesome speaker:D my daughter thinks this should count for Sunday Church.,:p

I'm ready for everybody to attack me, but what the heck....here goes: How about if there is an extra $100 p/p built into the cruise ticket (nobody would ever know) and everything is all inclusive...tips, water, Cokes, etc.

There are several problems with this.

First, people would notice. Most people are much more likely to spend $1,000 on a cruise and another $1,000 on "extras" than they are to spend $1,500 on a cruise that includes all the "extras". Never mind that the "cheaper" cruise costs more; it still looks cheaper and a lot of people are not going to spend $500 more up-front in order to save $500 in the long term. It's just the way the mind works (or a lot of people's minds, anyway).

Now, this may not be true for longer cruises or for passengers who are booking expensive cabins but for the majority of passengers on the average 7-day Caribbean or Alaska cruise, it is true. Mass-market cruises are quite price-sensitive.

HAL's fares are already what the market can bear. If they could raise their fares and not lose passengers, they would (and they wouldn't include anything extra, either).

Secondly, your $100 figure is too low. Just tips alone come out to $70pp on a 7-day cruise. That leaves all of $30 for everything else! Maybe they could raise the fare by $500 or $700 for a 7-day cruise and include soft drinks and alternative dining - and then lose passengers in droves.

They're not stupid. They do whatever it is that will be most profitable for them. For cruise lines, what's most profitable is to keep fares low and then make huge profits on on-board revenue. And yes, if you don't like this formula, you can go to a luxury line like Crystal and pay a higher fare and not have to deal with all the extra charges. It's not like the option isn't there!

There are several problems with this.

First, people would notice. Most people are much more likely to spend $1,000 on a cruise and another $1,000 on "extras" than they are to spend $1,500 on a cruise that includes all the "extras". Never mind that the "cheaper" cruise costs more; it still looks cheaper and a lot of people are not going to spend $500 more up-front in order to save $500 in the long term. It's just the way the mind works (or a lot of people's minds, anyway).

Now, this may not be true for longer cruises or for passengers who are booking expensive cabins but for the majority of passengers on the average 7-day Caribbean or Alaska cruise, it is true. Mass-market cruises are quite price-sensitive.

HAL's fares are already what the market can bear. If they could raise their fares and not lose passengers, they would (and they wouldn't include anything extra, either).

Secondly, your $100 figure is too low. Just tips alone come out to $70pp on a 7-day cruise. That leaves all of $30 for everything else! Maybe they could raise the fare by $500 or $700 for a 7-day cruise and include soft drinks and alternative dining - and then lose passengers in droves.

They're not stupid. They do whatever it is that will be most profitable for them. For cruise lines, what's most profitable is to keep fares low and then make huge profits on on-board revenue. And yes, if you don't like this formula, you can go to a luxury line like Crystal and pay a higher fare and not have to deal with all the extra charges. It's not like the option isn't there!

Doug, That was much more eloquent than my description of the marketing of fares. Right on the money.

This being number Two Hundred and Twelve (212) is the same as the NYC Manhatten Area Code the second in our nation. the 201 in NJ was/is first.:D

CHOICE is the FINAL ANSWER! :D

NCL the now Star owned firm as of 2000 AD really are the ones which started NYC Cruises back besides Cunard with the Queen Ships.. Now thank GOD HAL is finally back to the NYC market place and in Manhattan at the Mid Town Piers, yes New York Passenger Cruise Ship Terminal http://www.nypst.com

Februrary 22nd, 2006 we all saw her (hms Noordam IV) leave here and return and so many have been aboard her already including and not limited to my families.

Competition is what sets all apart then service is what makes a firm great , price, location, assets of the trip and ship etc.. are all desired/wanted qualities .

NCL you have seen now is having THREE (3) LArge MEGA Liners Built each for One Billion $USD too.. yikes .. how they pay for them is yes revenues generated both from the voayges in tickets as well aboard in adding everything imagineable.. even one of my friends downtown near the courthouse is a TA and has been aboard they wanted to charge him for apple juice and did.

* YIKES *

But again choice is at hand to pay or not to pay is the question.

HAL as many have known and done did include tippage and other additions which now are paid for individually..

HAL may change its policies back if enough guests suggest that to them... having a higher initial cost fare is a lot less than finding what you spent in a multiple of what the initail fare was .. the bottom line is what really matters in comparison of costs.

Service from HAL's staff aboard does still set the line many steps ahead of the others and should be used as training for the other lines ...

Advertising the Best Qualities in the most competitive marketplace in the World here would benefit HAL immensely and even leaving from NJ, in addition of NYC, at the old NAVY MOTBY Piers at a much lower cost will be another addition of savings too.:D

Imagine if this brouha had been over $10.99 pp?:eek:

Last I promise LAST COMMENT at least from me:)

Like it or not, criticize it or not, defend it or not, smile at it or not, lecture about it or not, HAL intends to implement the new charge. How it will go over is anyone's guess or IMO "opinion"

the proof will be if attendance goes up or down AND the comment cards and CC posts once the new system becomes effective (including possible changes to the menu)

have a strong feeling Seattle will be keeping an eye on this one;)

I certainly intend to try it once and look at the service, quality of the food, selection, and ambience (love that one:))

if satisfied, I'm on the way back

if not, well: let's cross that bridge at that time:cool:

I have to agree with what RevNeal said - we, too went out for dinner with friends last night and our tab as a couple came to $200 without the tip. As a result, an increase of $10 in the Pinnacle Grill charge doesn't really mean a whole lot in the big scheme of things. You're still getting good value for $30 per person. (Although I will think twice about ordering the seafood, after what I've read here.)

DH has already said that we're going to spend an evening in the Pinnacle on the Maasdam in February to celebrate our 30th anniversary, whatever the cost. He says I'm worth it. I think I might just keep him.:rolleyes:

By the way, RevNeal, you look awesome - your latest pic shows a very svelte Reverend! Way to go.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I am amazed at this thread...I didn't know that 10 dollars could get such a rise???

You must be single..... It may only be $10 for you but as A couple it is now going to be an extra $20 plus if I were to leave A tip that comes to way more than Just 10 dollars so your comment is not valid... At the current price of $20pp it would be A Total of $40 for us plus I would leave lets just say $10 tip that would be A Total of $50......

Now that same PG meal is now going to cost us $30pp total for 2 $60, Why would I leave A tip now that it would cost more than the $50 it would have cost?

For those who insist on comparing the cost of what this meal would cost at A land based resturant... I say this.... It is not land based....It is on A ship... So this is not A valid argument either... Think about it... Who in their right mind would pay what it would cost for A land based meal on A cruise ship....Again It is not land based....The food that is served at the PG is brought onboard in mass Quantities along with the food that is served in the main dining room... The cost increase does not justify it IMHO anyway....

Just as A side note to my last post... We have A group of 10 of us that are sailing on Hal in November and all are in agreement that the new $30 charge would not be worth it as we have sailed on other lines and paid the $20pp at their specialty restaurant.... We plan on calling ahead before oct.1 and making an open ended reservation....Put it on A CC and each of us will send A check to that person... Problem solved for our group.... Then if we sail Hal again just simply won't go.... The cost for A group of 10 of us is not A mear $10

Just as A side note to my last post... We have A group of 10 of us that are sailing on Hal in November and all are in agreement that the new $30 charge would not be worth it as we have sailed on other lines and paid the $20pp at their specialty restaurant.... We plan on calling ahead before oct.1 and making an open ended reservation....Put it on A CC and each of us will send A check to that person... Problem solved for our group.... Then if we sail Hal again just simply won't go.... The cost for A group of 10 of us is not A mear $10

I wonder how many have phoned HAL to pre-order PG? The author of the OP should get a cut of that savings. Again, many thanks to fb0075.:D I'll keep searching roll call boards for any future cruise I'm booking. The least I can do is to buy you a couple of drinks.

Have a nice day all.

I wonder if HAl would let us bring our own meat on? I know the alcohol thing is a big taboo but hey what about my own cow?:confused:

Exactly what Abigail Adams did en route to join her hubby John in Gay Paree.

She did have trouble with the cabin, deck and kitchen staff until she appointed herself Hotel Manager and proceeded to get that ship cleaned up!

Jagman, I agree with you. Comparing this cost to a land based dinner makes no sense.

BTW, DH and I went our for a delicious dinner last night. We had an amazing time with friends and the entire dinner including tip was $30. So you don't necessarily have to pay a fortune to have a good dinner.

I'm not critical at all of either $20 pp or $30 pp. Everyone has the line they choose to draw for how much is too much. But since we've already paid for all our meals in the cost of our cruise, comparing it to restaurant costs just makes no sense.

My sentiments exactly. Yes, we do usually eat in the specialty restaurants but it is a matter of personal preference. I am still debating if I want to go ahead and make reservations ahead of time before the price goes to $30.00 or just forget it. When someone thinks it is just a $10 difference, as has been said, that is per person, not to mention it is a pretty hefty increase. $5.00 would have been a better bet and probably wouldn't have caused so much controvery. You are so right about comparing to a land restaurant. part of our cruise price includes all meals. NMnita

Exactly what Abigail Adams did en route to join her hubby John in Gay Paree.

She did have trouble with the cabin, deck and kitchen staff until she appointed herself Hotel Manager and proceeded to get that ship cleaned up!

She also established the first KIDS CLub for her sons, John Quincy and Charles:)

For those who are inclined to tip $10. per person for fine service in the PG, I am wondering how that translates to the waiter in the dining room. Waiters in the dining room, on the whole, give exceptional service in a much more hectic atmosphere. If the same formula was to apply, would those folks tip an extra $10. per person per day to the waiter? On a 7 day cruise that would be an extra $70. per person after the auto tip was charged.

Archived