Has Anyone Ever Seen Crew's Quarters?

RunnerMom3

I have not seen the crew quarters myself but our buddy we were traveling with did. He met some friends from his country Sri Lanka and they took him to their quarters. They had rice and curry. Also we received free drinks in the bar...as he was from Sri Lanka the bar manager.

The bar manager had his own cabin but the staff bunked in twos. They have their own dining room & whirlpools.

I was in the Captains, Chief Engineer's and the Hotel Mangers cabins on HAL's Veendam, all of those were very nice large 2-3 room suites with ocean views. In the area where we would normally have a dining table they had a desk, computer and work space. I seem to recall the Captain had an actual dining table in his quarters though. The Hotel Manager took us to the crew lounge/bar which had quite a few people in it for 3pm on embarkation day, we weren't invited back there again though. (no, we didn't act up!) I think that day only they would allow civilians in for a certain period of time. The Captain and Hotel Manager were traveling with their wives for that cruise and they had a number of personal items such as family photos, etc displayed. The Captain was ending his time on the ship and the wife said it was a job to pack it all up. Lots of built in shelves and drawers so she had to remember where she stashed everything. We didn't see the regular staff cabins so don't know what they were like. They did have an officers mess which we saw from the doorway but didn't visit. The wives were allowed to freely go about the ship and took us with them to the private island where everything was comped (floating mats, etc) and then showed us the BEST shopping places! Of course all of this was pre 9/11 so I don't know if the officers would be able to grant that much access now since these quarters were all very close to the bridge.

I was in the Captains, Chief Engineer's and the Hotel Mangers cabins on HAL's Veendam, all of those were very nice large 2-3 room suites with ocean views. In the area where we would normally have a dining table they had a desk, computer and work space. I seem to recall the Captain had an actual dining table in his quarters though. The Hotel Manager took us to the crew lounge/bar which had quite a few people in it for 3pm on embarkation day, we weren't invited back there again though. (no, we didn't act up!) I think that day only they would allow civilians in for a certain period of time. The Captain and Hotel Manager were traveling with their wives for that cruise and they had a number of personal items such as family photos, etc displayed. The Captain was ending his time on the ship and the wife said it was a job to pack it all up. Lots of built in shelves and drawers so she had to remember where she stashed everything. We didn't see the regular staff cabins so don't know what they were like. They did have an officers mess which we saw from the doorway but didn't visit. The wives were allowed to freely go about the ship and took us with them to the private island where everything was comped (floating mats, etc) and then showed us the BEST shopping places! Of course all of this was pre 9/11 so I don't know if the officers would be able to grant that much access now since these quarters were all very close to the bridge.

I have always wondered what the Captains cabin would look like!

This is why you should give CASH to the crew for tips, and not some trinket from your hometown!!!! They don't need more junk to store in what is really a walk-in closet with beds!!!!!

LOL I agree with this 100%. I never get why people give them silly personal items, or "fun" dollar coins or two dollar bills. Just give them money already! They aren't two year olds, they're hardworking adults that are trying to make money!

I am just curious if anyone has ever seen any of the crews areas. I've heard they are terribly cramped. Please fill us in on how you did it and what you saw. I am very curious as to what it's like on the bottom floors of the boat and if RCCL treats their crew any better than the other major cruiselines. Those people have such difficult lives, I don't know how they do it (and with a smile.......)

Thanks!

Meredith

um...........no............never...............of course not..............passengers aren't allowed in the crew areas............that would be forbidden.............nope, never been there.

;) :D

why ask why???

In all seriousness, for anyone who watched the special on travel channel?? about when they stretched a ship, they showed crew quarters in detail, showed their bingo room, general store, gym, their actual cabin (small, cramped, 4 to a room), their bar, everything.

While it was nice tha they had a lot of social places to hang out with other crew, their actual cabins were tiny-I could not live that close to 3 other people.

Crew's quarters, what the heck are you talking about.... Everyone knows the crew doesn't sleep on the ship, they go back to shore each night.....:rolleyes:

Good one, Jerry!

Since you seem to be so knowledgeable about ships, could you please direct me to the elevator that goes to the front of the boat?

Good one, Jerry!

Since you seem to be so knowledgeable about ships, could you please direct me to the elevator that goes to the front of the boat?

I believe the technical name for that elevator is the bungee trampoline.....

You can also find the elevator that goes to the front of the ship by first having several glasses of Jack Daniels.......

What are yall doing here, T&T? :eek:

I have seen the Captians Cabin...did I ever tell you about the time he invited me to dine in his cabin with him...?:p

You heroic person, you!!:D:D I'd still like to hear the Captain's version of that one......:eek:

Fran in Toronto

I was a social hostess for Princess years (and years) ago. The waiters, bar staff, stewards, etc. have 2 to a room. Quite small. The social staff, dancers, professionals have nicer quarters, higher up, with windows. Usually one to a room there. The purser's staff are in between; two to a room but a little bigger, sometimes with a window. All the sailors are officers and have the nicest rooms.

why not?

Torontomale26 - I answered another post from you about Cruise Compass from the Brilliance. It seems to have got poofed. I'm going to try another thread - but if you see this and want copies of the compass from our April cruise, email me at franota at rogers dot com.

Fran in Toronto

• 8 years later...
There are so many videos of crew cabins on youtube, you don't need any photos after you see it.

This might be a record...

Sept 2006 thread dug up... a full 8 years and 3 months since the last post. Now THAT'S using the search feature! :D

Freedom and oasis class has the All Access tour for $150 per person. Greatest $300 we ever spent. They don't "show" you the crews cabins but if someone happened to be leaving their cabin they let you peek. You go onto the bridge ( Captain was supposed to be there but wasn't) in the engine control room, anchor room, RT 95, galley ( the exc chef was a HOT dish himself)( this is Mrs JD btw) food storage fridges and freezers, ice rink, stage. Well worth it.