Legend 09/01/2006: Never Again...

Leo Jay

...will I be guilty of such ridiculously neurotic overpacking. Three sportcoats? Six pairs of slacks? Six Dress shirts? AND a tuxedo? What the heck was I thinking?

Anyway, I just got off Legend earlier today, and it was an utterly FANTASTIC experience. Just a few notes for now:

*Easy embarkation: arrived at pier ~11:30am, short seated wait, on board by ~12:30pm

*Great weather (overcast sailing out of NY, and very rocky first night, with 20ft. waves, but once we left Ernesto in our wake, weather was gorgeous every day)

*Beautiful, well-maintained ship

*Friendly, helpful staff

*Food, glorious food -- especially the delicious 24-hour pizza

*Loved early morning hoops and frisbee on the basketball court

*Great gym facilities and steam/sauna/shower rooms

*Very good production shows (at least what we saw)

*Music in lounges ranged from barely passable (who was that guitar player/singer in the Atrium?) to fantastic (jazz quartet, classical trio)

*Loved the water slide -- it's not just for kids!

*Excursion to Virgin Gorda -- a MUST-SEE

*Dinner at the Golden Fleece specialty restaurant: a MUST-DO

NEGATIVES

*Tortola day is too short (7am to 2pm), particularly given that the prime excursion, the baths at Virgin Gorda, is an hour's travel each way. The Carnival excursion starts at ~8:30 and you have to be back on the ship at 1:30, so you have only two hours at the actual location. The 40 minute ferry ride is somewhat scenic and something of an experience in itself, but still, you could easily spend two hours exploring the Baths alone, not even counting snorkeling and normal beach time, so the whole day is a bit rushed.

*Sound system in the Follies for the production shows is WAY too loud. I don't know what the hell they're thinking. Sound manager was asked about that on the tour, and apparently the level they're using is about 3db BELOW Carnival's Corporate guidelines. Uncle Bob must be deaf.

*Hmm, I'm sure there are other negatives, but they're not significant enough to jump out at me. Well, eight days is way too short -- that's one more negative.

*Oh yeah -- there was a singer/guitarist in the Atrium who was really pretty bad, but I guess that would only annoy me if I really, really felt the need to drink at that particular bar, or if for some reason I was forced to stand in line for a very long time at the nearby Excursion Desk or Purser's Desk sometime between 9:00 PM and Midnight.

*Photos -- there's got to be a better way. I can appreciate the idea of forcing passengers to search for their photos -- it's interesting to see other passengers' photos, but once you've located yours each day, there should be a better way to make they can all be kept together so you can easily go through them all to make purchasing decisions on the final day. Sometimes it works to keep all of your photos together, but other times, when they move and rearrange the photo displays day-to-day, the staff sometimes separates your pile of photos and puts each of them back in the group with their respective backdrop settings, which is irksome.

*The floor in the Unicorn cafe could sometimes be sticky. But Kids + Lemonade...

That's about it, I think, for now. Working on a more complete recap for posting later...

Oh one more thing: Dress code. I really didn't pay much attention last year because it was my first cruise, so I just wore a tux, since it was recommended. But I didn't really pay any mind to anyone else. But having read so much dress code drama on CC over the past year, I was really paying attention to other people this year, and I have to say, I really don't understand what all the drama is about. People were absolutely DECKED OUT. Maybe it's partially because there was a very large group on board, and they had clearly chosen as a group to not only dress up but to have color theme for various nights. For the first formal night it was black and white, with an unusually high percentage of women in white dresses and even some men in white suits!

But even in general, as I walked around the ship, I saw mostly very well-turned out passengers. Okay, in the dining room, I noticed the occasional man in khakis, or maybe just shirtsleeves, but they really were the significant exception and really did stick out. I would have to say the dining room was easily 90% dressy suits/ties or tuxedos for men. Despite the wishy-washyness of Carnival's own documentation:

Suggested attire for this evening is "Formal". Please no shorts to be worn at dinner.

Anyway, fantastic cruise overall -- I'll post more later. In the meantime, ask if you have questions.

...will I be guilty of such ridiculously neurotic overpacking. Three sportcoats? Six pairs of slacks? Six Dress shirts? AND a tuxedo? What the heck was I thinking?

Anyway, I just got off Legend earlier today, and it was an utterly FANTASTIC experience. Just a few notes for now:

*Easy embarkation: arrived at pier ~11:30am, short seated wait, on board by ~12:30pm

*Great weather (overcast sailing out of NY, and very rocky first night, with 20ft. waves, but once we left Ernesto in our wake, weather was gorgeous every day)

*Beautiful, well-maintained ship

*Friendly, helpful staff

*Food, glorious food -- especially the delicious 24-hour pizza

*Loved early morning hoops and frisbee on the basketball court

*Great gym facilities and steam/sauna/shower rooms

*Very good production shows (at least what we saw)

*Music in lounges ranged from barely passable (who was that guitar player/singer in the Atrium?) to fantastic (jazz quartet, classical trio)

*Loved the water slide -- it's not just for kids!

*Excursion to Virgin Gorda -- a MUST-SEE

*Dinner at the Golden Fleece specialty restaurant: a MUST-DO

NEGATIVES

*Tortola day is too short (7am to 2pm), particularly given that the prime excursion, the baths at Virgin Gorda, is an hour's travel each way. The Carnival excursion starts at ~8:30 and you have to be back on the ship at 1:30, so you have only two hours at the actual location. The 40 minute ferry ride is somewhat scenic and something of an experience in itself, but still, you could easily spend two hours exploring the Baths alone, not even counting snorkeling and normal beach time, so the whole day is a bit rushed.

*Sound system in the Follies for the production shows is WAY too loud. I don't know what the hell they're thinking. Sound manager was asked about that on the tour, and apparently the level they're using is about 3db BELOW Carnival's Corporate guidelines. Uncle Bob must be deaf.

*Hmm, I'm sure there are other negatives, but they're not significant enough to jump out at me. Well, eight days is way too short -- that's one more negative.

*Oh yeah -- there was a singer/guitarist in the Atrium who was really pretty bad, but I guess that would only annoy me if I really, really felt the need to drink at that particular bar, or if for some reason I was forced to stand in line for a very long time at the nearby Excursion Desk or Purser's Desk sometime between 9:00 PM and Midnight.

*Photos -- there's got to be a better way. I can appreciate the idea of forcing passengers to search for their photos -- it's interesting to see other passengers' photos, but once you've located yours each day, there should be a better way to make they can all be kept together so you can easily go through them all to make purchasing decisions on the final day. Sometimes it works to keep all of your photos together, but other times, when they move and rearrange the photo displays day-to-day, the staff sometimes separates your pile of photos and puts each of them back in the group with their respective backdrop settings, which is irksome.

*The floor in the Unicorn cafe could sometimes be sticky. But Kids + Lemonade...

That's about it, I think, for now. Working on a more complete recap for posting later...

Oh one more thing: Dress code. I really didn't pay much attention last year because it was my first cruise, so I just wore a tux, since it was recommended. But I didn't really pay any mind to anyone else. But having read so much dress code drama on CC over the past year, I was really paying attention to other people this year, and I have to say, I really don't understand what all the drama is about. People were absolutely DECKED OUT. Maybe it's partially because there was a very large group on board, and they had clearly chosen as a group to not only dress up but to have color theme for various nights. For the first formal night it was black and white, with an unusually high percentage of women in white dresses and even some men in white suits!

But even in general, as I walked around the ship, I saw mostly very well-turned out passengers. Okay, in the dining room, I noticed the occasional man in khakis, or maybe just shirtsleeves, but they really were the significant exception and really did stick out. I would have to say the dining room was easily 90% dressy suits/ties or tuxedos for men. Despite the wishy-washyness of Carnival's own documentation:

Anyway, fantastic cruise overall -- I'll post more later. In the meantime, ask if you have questions.

WHEW - I was bracing myself for a RANT...

Glad you had a GREAT time - we really enjoyed the Legend, and will again soon!

We are FINALLY learning how to pack appropriately - and with the complimentary wash and fold (Platinum card) service now offered, we have even fewer excuses to OVER PACK!!

Tom

Leo Jay......thank you for posting this review (looking forward to more later). We're not sailing on the Legend until April, 07 but love reading of others experiences onboard & at your ports of call.

Glad you had a great cruise.....

I was also bracing for a RANT like Tom-n-Cheryl! You really scared me there because I'm going on the Legend next month.

Glad you had a good trip -- probably would have been better without those 20 foot waves, though, huh??:eek:

Thanks for the info on the guitar player in the atrium -- that's the bar where I usually have my froo-froo drink before dinner. Guess I will have to find someplace else this trip! That shouldn't be too difficult!

I was also glad to hear about the dress code and how a big percentage went all out. They were like that on the Valor, too, in fact, most cruises I have taken almost everyone has really gotten all decked out! We usually do the specialty restaurant on the second formal night since we are already dressed for the occasion!

Can't wait to go -- never been on the Legend! 32 days and counting!!!:cool:

Actually, the Atrium musician was amusingly, almost charmingly bad. It almost worked for him. He seemed to be a pretty comfortable performer, he was just a bit too laid back and had a bad singing voice. Sort of a Country and Western Bob Dylan with bad pitch and the demeanor of the comedian Steven Wright.

We did the fleece twice -- night 3, and night 7 (the second Formal Night.)

I slept through the first night's 20-foot wave drama. Too bad, because I would have loved to have loved putting my waterproof camera case to use capturing some cool video off the balcony. If I hadn't heard all the talk the next morning I'd have had no idea...

DH wants to know - Did you pack enough underwear?:D Glad you had a good time - I would have liked more time at Tortola too.

Thanks for more info! I was wondering the other day which nights were the formal nights!

I can't wait to hear this guy in the atrium. I can't imagine a country/western Bob Dylan!:D Perhaps I will have to try that atrium bar the first night!! It just might prove interesting!

Oh -- I've read some of the information on this site, but I don't recall ever hearing the final answer. Is the last night's menu the same as the first? How did they work that for you?

Oh -- I've read some of the information on this site, but I don't recall ever hearing the final answer. Is the last night's menu the same as the first? How did they work that for you?

I can't remember exactly what the last night's menu was on Legend, but it wasn't a repeat of night 1. When we did the galley tour, you can see that they have 8-day menus planned. Last year when we were on Conquest and ended up extended one day, the last night's menu was the same as the first night's; they had a seven-day menu rotation.

Thanks NYBumpkin! I was hoping there would be 8 days planned for the Legend trip!

I was on the Conquest last year on a 6 day cruise in July because the cruise before us turned into an 8 day cruise because they had to follow Hurricane Dennis in, while we had an extra day in NO to play in the wind and rain! Was that your 8 day cruise on the Conquest?

Thanks NYBumpkin! I was hoping there would be 8 days planned for the Legend trip!

I was on the Conquest last year on a 6 day cruise in July because the cruise before us turned into an 8 day cruise because they had to follow Hurricane Dennis in, while we had an extra day in NO to play in the wind and rain! Was that your 8 day cruise on the Conquest?

That was indeed our 8-day on Conquest. Sorry we shortened your cruise!;)

That was indeed our 8-day on Conquest. Sorry we shortened your cruise!;)

No problem! My DH and I had flown into NO a day early since only my DH had been to NO before. We had our granddaughter with us. We had no problem extending our hotel room at the Riverfront Hilton (really nice) and our GD and I got to see more of NO. We spent the day riding the old trollies to the garden district and eating more good food. We had a great time. CCL also reimbursed us for one day of the cruise plus all three of us got a $50.00 OBC. We missed our Jamaica port, but got to the others! We still had a great time!

Was your trip back very rough? They had us boarding very early (like around 10:00 am) so when did you all get back to the pier -- it must have been in the wee hours of the morning?? :eek:

Now looking forward to the Legend next month -- especially after seeing such a great review by LeoJay! I'm anxious to see this atrium guitar player he talked about!!!

Glad you had a good time. We are leaving on the legend in 2 weeks. Would love to hear more about your trip. We also are booked the baths in Tortola. Everyone on the boards made it sound beautiful so I'm excited to go. Any capers or menus would be great too.

I don't have much info on dining room menus because we only ate dinner there three nights -- the first Formal Night (night two), and two others. We ate in the Fleece two nights, and the other nights we ate in the Unicorn. Formal Night 1 I had the duck, which was absolutely delicious. Another night, I had the rabbit, which I wasn't nuts for. I'm having trouble remembering what I had the third night for some reason...

Archived