SeaSick

vpoopsy

Our first cruise together DH & I used the Patch (trans scopderm) sp..?..Had to put it on a few hours before boarding & change it every three days. I normally don't get seasick but my Husband sometimes has, so that's why we used it..

Our Dr. gave us a prescription for it..However, have heard that some people have side effects with it..Perhaps your Dr. would have suggestions...

Since then we haven't used anything...It's no fun when you get seasick,:( so I hope you find some help so you can enjoy your cruise..

I used the patch on the first cruise and it made my mouth so dry it made me nauseous. I put it back on after I got ill on thursday night and wore it home. I took it off saturday and was fine. Got home from church on sunday and had a "relapse" and had to crawl because I couldn't look at anything. Plus they do nothing for your profile in photos. haha!!

I'll consider the ginger.

I swear by the wristbands. They're called Sea-bands (I think) and are available over-the-counter. It's all about the 'pressure point' -- not drugs that keep you from feeling bad. I would do both the Ginger and Sea Bands. And remember, if you forget and start feeling sick.... a green apple will bring you back to the living.

The Yum Yum man no not the tree and under it...

After leaving the formal dining room they have the after dinner treats before the Explorer lounge on the Starboard side..yes thats where they have the crpes and choclate covered strawberries... and drinks too yes they use this room to help generate more onboard revenues...

The Yumm Yum man who is the one which rings the Ships Chime, yes the bell with the three flat bars which they had on all naval ships... he has candies ginger on the table as you leave.. now that one boy everyone should tip!

The Asian cooking areas usually have raw ginger as well... try finding garlic on most ships.. HAL has it most dont!

Whats Italian food or pizza without garlic ? Like a ship out of water!:eek:

Now if they could get Real good NY Cheese Cake....

The Ginger aids suppression of an uneasy stomach muscle.. garlic helps give a temporary relief of high bllod pressure...

And Dutched Chocolate is divine in aiding so many things....

I've been on 2 cruises and got deathly sea sick on both. Going for the 3rd one in December. Got an suggestions on not having a repeat performance besides loading up on Dramanine every day?:eek:

Not meaning to sound condescending, but if you have a history of getting horribly seasick, why cruise again?

Cruising isn't necessarily appropriate for everyone, just as some folks don't fly or scubadive or go mountainclimbing.

Wouldn't a land vacation be more comfortable?

I've been on 2 cruises and got deathly sea sick on both. Going for the 3rd one in December. Got an suggestions on not having a repeat performance besides loading up on Dramanine every day?:eek:

I have found that Scopace is VERY helpful to overcome seasickness.

Check it out here:

http://www.motionsickness.net/

I use Bonine and the wrist bands as needed. I also found that having a verandah room helps a great deal. I can get fresh air when needed, it helps in the middle of the night when I dont want to or dont feel good enough to get on an outside deck. Just take a chair and face forward until you feel better. Bonine is better than dramamine and just taking small bites off it the pill, Its chewable, allows me not to always take the whole dose. I dont know what I would do without the stuff; I love to cruise.

I've used the wrist bands before and they work ok. Sounds like I'm going to buy some ginger pills. I assume no 'side effects' from those except maybe smelling like a chinese buffet!!

NO side effects and not even any bad breath!

I also think being seasick has a lot to do with a "state of mind" one is in. If they believe they are going to get sick, chances are, they will.

The mind is a powerful thing!

Got this from cruise critic a few years ago ----please try it--- I promise it will work 100%.

3 days before departure take 1 ginger pill in am and again in pm then 2 days before departure take 1 meclizine pill at bedtime and continue for each cruise day and also for 2 days after you leave the ship. Meclizine can be purchased at pharmacy counter---$10 and ginger pills on vitiams shelf at about $8. You won't even feel queasey no matter what the sea does. Enjoy you trip. Sandi

Been on thirty some odd cruises and really do not know about sea sickness but, my son, daughter in law in the coast guard and brother in the navy tell me to stay away from milk and dairy products.

Hope you enjoy your cruise as I can not inagine some one wanting to go on a cruise so badly, they would undergo sea sickness. Please enjoy as much as we do.

:)

My husband used to think my motion sickness was in my head, until our youngest son, many years ago, got sick on a flight. I recently read that motion sickness is hereditary. I take Bonine if I expect rough seas and I have also worn the Seabands. Luckily , except for one night on the way back from the Big Island to Oahu, our cruise waters have been very calm. (it was so bad the luggage that was left out in the hall to the next morining's embarkation was falling all over the halls) Precaution is the key. Good Luck

I swear by Bonine - up here in Canada it's called Bonamine - and it works like a charm. I take it beginning the day before we leave, taking 1 every night before going to bed. It doesn't make you sleepy, but if it does, you're going to bed anyway, so there's no problem. If you have particularly rough seas, you can take another one partway through the day without any problems. I found out about Bonine on our first cruise in 1989 and haven't had seasickness since. We've had some pretty good seas (we had 17 - 20 foot swells on our last one), and I just enjoyed the motion of the ocean - without it, I'd have been hugging the great porcelain throne.:eek:

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Got this from cruise critic a few years ago ----please try it--- I promise it will work 100%.

3 days before departure take 1 ginger pill in am and again in pm then 2 days before departure take 1 meclizine pill at bedtime and continue for each cruise day and also for 2 days after you leave the ship. Meclizine can be purchased at pharmacy counter---$10 and ginger pills on vitiams shelf at about $8. You won't even feel queasey no matter what the sea does. Enjoy you trip. Sandi

Thanks for the tip. I am prone to seasickness unless the seas are absolutely calm. I will definitely take your advice and hope it works for me

Thanks again,

thanks for the directions. i've written it down and put it in my "cruise file"

I am A-Sue's Mom.....When I book a cruise for Sue & me I never take a guarantee because she is prone to sea sickness...so along with her remedy for ginger I follow the advice of the TA and book inside in the middle of the ship. Years ago I booked a mini suite on a HAL ship going to Mexico, trip was going great until we caught one hurricane in front and one in back of us. She was sick for two days...which ruined the trip for both of us.

We have taken about 5 cruises since then. Since she has found ginger and I book middle of ship inside cabins, everything has been wonderful.

I'll add my recommendation for Bonine (which is Mezclyne or however it's spelled!). Here's the scoop on Bonine -- it accomplishes the same thing as Dramamine withOUT the drowsiness factor.

I have taken Bonine for years and noticed no side effects whatsoever. I eat and drink normally, do whatever I want and - even in rough seas - I feel fine.

You should also be aware that most cruiselines (at least domestic lines), incl HAL, have Mezclyne at the guest relations counter for distribution at no charge. Generally, they are 5 or 6 tablets in a small envelope -- yours for the asking.

That said, I always bring mine with me from home and also recommend taking it BEFORE you get on the ship.

About taking Meclizine....how long should you continue taking the pills after you get off the ship? Would the Meclizine also help with "sea legs?" My first cruise was this past January, and although it was only a five nighter, I had sea legs for a good three or four days!

BTW since there's always a lot of experience and expertese on this board, do any of you fine folks know what religion all those people with patches behind their ears belong to?

Copper, you make me laugh! BTW, I appreciate your 9/11 avatar.

Amy

Archived