Mercury Calendar Empty May thru Mid-Sep

waunabcruizin

I just went to X's web site and pretended to book an Alaska cruise in August of 2007 - any ship. The only itineraries presented for selection were Summit and Infinity. That's it. Still no sign of Mercury. If Ocngypz is correct would expect Mercury to show up at some point leaving from Vancouver, but no sign of it at this point.

BEV - Fancy meeting you here! Maybe we'll have a 'new' ship for Down Under.....:D

Carol (and Linda).

I just went to X's web site and pretended to book an Alaska cruise in August of 2007 - any ship. The only itineraries presented for selection were Summit and Infinity. That's it. Still no sign of Mercury. If Ocngypz is correct would expect Mercury to show up at some point leaving from Vancouver, but no sign of it at this point.

BEV - Fancy meeting you here! Maybe we'll have a 'new' ship for Down Under.....:D

Carol (and Linda).

Spoke with CC rep again today and she told me to check back within a week online and Mercury "should" show up again. All the dates are still red flagged and at this point they don't know if it will be Seattle or Vancouver.

I also confirmed that if it does move to Vancouver and the prices increase that anyone with a deposited cruise will be price protected so I am quite relieved at this time. Either way I know what I'll be paying. Phewwwww :)

Spoke with CC rep again today and she told me to check back within a week online and Mercury "should" show up again. All the dates are still red flagged and at this point they don't know if it will be Seattle or Vancouver.

I also confirmed that if it does move to Vancouver and the prices increase that anyone with a deposited cruise will be price protected so I am quite relieved at this time. Either way I know what I'll be paying. Phewwwww :)

Hi Kruisecat !

Told ya, that you had nothing to worry about... great news :)

Enjoy your Cruise !

We are booked on the June 15th cruise on the Mercury, also. We received an e-mail from our TA yesterday stating that Celebrity was pulling the Mercury out of Alaska altogether next summer. They are holding a cabin for us on the Vision for the same $$$ until they hear more or Celebrity makes an announcement to the public whichever comes first. So, I guess it will be a waiting game.

We are booked on the June 15th cruise on the Mercury, also. We received an e-mail from our TA yesterday stating that Celebrity was pulling the Mercury out of Alaska altogether next summer. They are holding a cabin for us on the Vision for the same $$$ until they hear more or Celebrity makes an announcement to the public whichever comes first. So, I guess it will be a waiting game.

Vision is a lovely ship, well maintained and with a very good crew. However, I found the food and service in the dining room to be amongst the poorest of any RCI cruises IME (48 and counting). Mercury was much better in those areas, IMO.

They are due to get the new bedding soon, however, and it is just delightful!

Mercury will be sailing roundtrip from Vancouver for the 2007 Alaska season.

below is taken from Sabre Cruise Director. The sailings are presently closed as the rates are being loaded back in by revenue and IT.

Woe betide the ta who deems a ship pulled from an entire season without having confirmation from the powers that be. News such as that would have made the trades.

06JUL07 FRIDAY VANCOUVER, BC, CA 01:30 PM BOARD SHIP

04:30 PM DEPART

07JUL07 SATURDAY CRUISE INSIDE PASSAGE, AK, US

08JUL07 SUNDAY JUNEAU, AK, US 01:00 PM ARRIVE

10:00 PM DEPART

09JUL07 MONDAY SKAGWAY, AK, US 07:00 AM ARRIVE

06:00 PM DEPART

10JUL07 TUESDAY HUBBARD GLACIER-CRUISING, AK, US 10:00 AM ARRIVE

01:00 PM DEPART

11JUL07 WEDNESDAY KETCHIKAN, AK, US 01:00 PM ARRIVE

08:30 PM DEPART

12JUL07 THURSDAY CRUISE INSIDE PASSAGE, AK, US

13JUL07 FRIDAY VANCOUVER, BC, CA 07:00 AM ARRIVE

Darn it! :mad: I hate having to drive/fly/amtrak/bus from Seattle to Vancouver! I was looking forward to Mercury to Alaska next summer and was planning to book this weekend while aboard Mercury for a short weekend jaunt, but think I'll forego that pleasure as it's simply too big a pain in the neck to try to get from Tacoma, WA to Vancouver.....not to mention back again. :( Maybe we'll think about a different line.....

Carol (and Linda).

My question is that we are booked for a 3 dayer out of seattle on the mercury, will that be affected by the move to vancouver. Havent heard anything about that one yet. It is for our childrens family getogether.

any info would be great

Bev

Bev - I just took another look at Mercury's sailing calendar on X's web site and it shows Mercury sailing the 3 and 4 nite PNW sailings out of Seattle, so I guess they'll do Alaska from Vancouver and the Pacific Northwest from Seattle. Looks like your 3-niter will be as planned.

Carol (and Linda).

Thanks Carol,

My family will be so glad to hear it. This will be there first cruise. So I am excited for them. I guess you didnt see that I wont be going down under with you all. Decided to switch to xmas on the summit to hawaii in dec 21,07 to see family over on the islands.

thanks for giving me some good news.

Andy or ocngypz (or anyone who can answer this):

Hypothetical situation:

• pax specifically books "Mercury" (since this thread is about Mercury) cabin CC00000 because it was located in a particular part of the ship, had a particular size & shape of balcony and faced a certain direction;
  • "Mercury" undergoes a major retrofit (like Century just had) resulting in balconies being added, a few new cabins (and a new cabin category) being created, some cabins being renumbered (to accommodate the new cabins);
  • because of the renumbering, Cabin 00000 is now a totally different category (e.g. a suite) AND faces a different direction;
  • the location of the original cabin CC00000 has become new cabins 99991 and 99992;
  • the two new cabins are not the orginal category (CC).

Would the displaced passenger:

• be able to keep the same cabin # -- effectively being upgraded to a suite from CC at no additional cost (as compensation for losing the view)?
  • have to keep the same category (CC) and relocate to a different part of the ship (losing not only the preferred view and being in a preferred part of the ship, but also missing out on the best choice of CC cabins because they were already booked by others before the retrofit)?
  • be expected to take one of the two newly created cabins (99991 or 99992), which are not only smaller cabins with smaller balconies, but are a lower category than CC, in order to retain (part of) the view wanted with the original booking?

I should be able to figure out the right answer to this hypothesis, but I've been wrong (once or twice :D ) before and I would hate to have it happen again.

All this is hyptothetical of course.:D

Hi Sheila, Carol & Linda, Bev, Karyn. I don't have enough to plague me -- I have to dream up new tortures for my mind.:rolleyes:

Angel - Yes, now that you mention it, I do remember you bailing on the OZ cruise to spend time in Hawaii with your family. That's a super thing to do, but sorry we won't be sailing together. Maybe another time.

Offtune - Boy, howdy, how did you come up with all that? :D Made my head spin just reading it. :D If the reason Mercury is not on the sailing calendar for Alaska is because they're just changing homeport to Vancouver then I doubt if they will revamp the ship to that extent. But interesting hypothetical situation.....

We're off on Mercury Friday for 3 night shortie. Will report when back.

Night All.

Carol (and Linda).

...Offtune - Boy, howdy, how did you come up with all that? ...
Some nights I just can't get to sleep, so my mind punishes me. :D

...Made my head spin just reading it...
I had that reaction, too!!:D

...If the reason Mercury is not on the sailing calendar for Alaska is because they're just changing homeport to Vancouver then I doubt if they will revamp the ship to that extent...
Agreed, but by the time this information came out, the sleep-denying gremlins had nothing better to do with a weak minded person and they forced me to pose the:
... interesting hypothetical situation.....

... We're off on Mercury Friday for 3 night shortie. Will report when back.Night All. Carol (and Linda).
Have a great time! Take lots of pictures! Enjoy everything!

BTW, experts, if you do know an/the answer to the hypothetical situation, I really would like to hear it. Seriously.

Terry:)

I was booked on the now cancelled 9/13 Infinity sailing out of SF. Was told I would receive a full refund and a free cruise. Not bad...but I booked on the Mercury out of Seattle sailing on 6/29/07. Like all of you, I frequesntly check Celebrity's website just to check on my res - and like you said...POOF! it was gone.

Called, and was told that they were making some itinerary changes. When I check the site, only Infinity and Summit are showing. I will called my TA tomorrow to see what is going on and to try and re-book...AGAIN. :mad:

I am beginning to think I will never get to sail to Alaska, and wondering if I was wrong in choosing to sail with Celebrity. I am afraid that by the time everything gets straightened out, I will not be able to get the CC cabin we are now (or were) booked in as it doesn't look like there are too many cabins open on the other 2 ships. ARRGH!

I was booked on the now cancelled 9/13 Infinity sailing out of SF. Was told I would receive a full refund and a free cruise. Not bad...but I booked on the Mercury out of Seattle sailing on 6/29/07. Like all of you, I frequesntly check Celebrity's website just to check on my res - and like you said...POOF! it was gone.

Called, and was told that they were making some itinerary changes. When I check the site, only Infinity and Summit are showing. I will called my TA tomorrow to see what is going on and to try and re-book...AGAIN. :mad:

I am beginning to think I will never get to sail to Alaska, and wondering if I was wrong in choosing to sail with Celebrity. I am afraid that by the time everything gets straightened out, I will not be able to get the CC cabin we are now (or were) booked in as it doesn't look like there are too many cabins open on the other 2 ships. ARRGH!

Marylou,

Don't worry, you're still booked on the 6/29/07 Mercury Alaska cruise. The cruise is now leaving from Vancouver instead of Seattle. Here's a link to the official Celebrity announcement:

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=905397&highlight=

I spoke with my TA today, and she verified the Vancouver sailing, and my res was back on the X website. WHEW! She also told me about the 100.00 onboard credit per cabin...Cool!

So, I guess I was worrying for nothing.....it is just after having my last cruise cancelled a month before sailing kind of puts me on edge a little when I saw my new res missing! Thanks goodness for Cruise Critic! I can find out anything here first, and react quickly.

Happy Sailing Ya'll!

Will the mercury go into drydock before she heads for alaska? I thought it was going to be done after she got back from aus and new zealand.

For what it's worth, I received an email this morning from the butler I had on Mercury in June and he said that Mercury will be going into drydock in April.

Archived