Did Freedom Dock Today ? (12SEPO06)

bilyclub

Well it actually DID happen - so now ya know!!

I just called and spoke with AVIS folks at the International Pier and they indeed say the FREEDOM of the SEAS is DOCKED at the pier.

Cozumelinsider Jacq

Thank you for the info Jacq, that is indeed excellent news and will make a lot of Freedom cruisers very happy.:)

Wow, if the Freedom can dock perhaps the QM2 will dock also?

They may be able to dock, but it really depends on what other ships are there that day. Since dock space is limited, if there are other ships there I'm guessing that the space will go to more frequent visitors. What day are you in Cozumel?

I just looked and you are one of 7 ships in ports that day. If only one dock is available it is more likely that the Navigator of the Seas or the Grand Princess will get it over the QM2. Even if more spaces open, the QM2 is less likely than some of the other ships to get the docking spaces.

The Freedom docked without any problems at all. She arrived about 5:30am and set out again about 3pm. There were only 9 hours of port time so there was not a lot the guest could do in the way of tours. It meant little in the way of dollars spent on activities in the island, but what a leap forward toward normal docking of our guest's ships for easy on and off access while visiting.

Punta Langosta is not too far behind and should be functional real soon.

The Secretary of Communications and Transportation made an effort to shut down the SSA International Pier last week saying it did not meet the necessary safety or securty standards. It took an act of the President of Mexico to set aside the Secretary's decission and use the pier this week.

The safe entry and exit of this enormous ship without incident helps prove the terminal is ready to work full force once again.

When we were there two weeks ago on the Freedom, the Carnival Ecstacy was docked while we tendered. The dock still has a lot of work needed to be done on it. I am glad the Freedom could dock this week. I am surprised, since there is so much rubble still all over the place and the dock still has major sections missing and pieces broken off. I have some pictures of it in our Freedom review at www.thepreismans.com

This all is kind of concerning in that the Transportation Secretary closed the pier citing safety, security and fire concerns only to be over ridden by President Fox because of economic pressure from the locals.

Not so sure safety isn't taking a back seat to the almighty American dollar. After reading about this, I for one hope my ship tenders rather than docks in a couple weeks. I would rather be a little inconveineced and safe. Mexico does not have the same safety standards we have here in the states anyway, let alone opening something their experts say is unsafe?

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/News

from the article

International Pier ClosedOne of the three cruise ship piers has been closed down by the Secretary of Communications and Transportation, citing lack of security measures for the protection of ships, personnel, passengers, and moreover that the pier was being enlarged without proper permits. The International Pier was the first pier to return to operation after Hurricane Wilma, complete with fanfare welcoming its return to service, last April. This was an important economic milestone, but authorities state that the administrators of the pier took advantage of the blanket permission by Semarnat (Secretary of the Environment) to rebuild structures damaged by the hurricane by making the pier longer and wider.

Other reasons for the closure of this pier were cranes working too closely to the cruise ships, a lack of fire protection (Enchantment of the Seas sustained a lifeboat fire last July which was controlled by the cruise ship personnel) and that the operations security deposit was not sufficient to cover the operations of the pier. The economic impact is that the numbers of cruise ships which can be accommodated is decreased, the passengers will have to disembark by means of tenders at the San Miguel Pier, which halves the number of passengers leaving the ship, plus extending the time required to put the passengers ashore, and taxi drivers and service providers in that location are without clients.

EDITOR NOTE: Since the post of this story, the pier has been re-opened. Hit hard by the hurriane closure and now re-opening only to be closed again by government regulators, the business/shop owners at the pier apparently banded together and contacted Presidente Fox who was visiting Cancun. Upon hearing of their situation, Presidente Fox issued an order for the pier to be opened for business purposes but remain closed for construction purposes. All additional construction matters at the pier are on hold until the safety and permit issues are resolved. Fortunately the business owners can now begin to recover some of their losses of the past year.

When we were there two weeks ago on the Freedom, the Carnival Ecstacy was docked while we tendered. The dock still has a lot of work needed to be done on it. I am glad the Freedom could dock this week. I am surprised, since there is so much rubble still all over the place and the dock still has major sections missing and pieces broken off. I have some pictures of it in our Freedom review at www.thepreismans.com

What a wonderful review! Are you a professional photographer? Your pictures are some of the best I have seen! I love it that you included a narration with the pictures. Made it seem like a storybook!

The safety standard are internationally recognized, not established in Mexico. It really has little to do with the safety of the visitors and mostly about access for fire trucks and other emergency vehicles.

The largest cruise ship in the world, the Freedom of the Seas, did indeed dock and depart without any incidents or safety concerns. The President did the right thing in this case. The terminal is rectafying the access problems.

I could be wrong but I think the Freedom is in port with the Ecstasy every other week. The Freedom week after next will be there alone. :D RCCL changed us to docked on our documents. Cant wait, Cozumel here we come!

BTW MVPBoynton - Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review. It is by far the best review I have ever read.

BonVoyage

Dawna

• 2 weeks later...
The Freedom tender on 5/19/06,we were counting on docking the Capt. says it was not safe. did it the week before and wouldn't be doing it agaain soon.

Sorry to contradict Tug, but the Granduer was still having problems on 09/19/2006 and bumped us, (Freedom) off the pier, to get her rudder worked on some more. Capt. Erick was blowing smoke. Numerous stffers told me the news came from Miami late on the 18th.

Be interesting to see if Freedom docks today. Punta Langosta looked like it was ready to go..

Sorry to contradict Tug, but the Granduer was still having problems on 09/19/2006 and bumped us, (Freedom) off the pier, to get her rudder worked on some more. Capt. Erick was blowing smoke. Numerous stffers told me the news came from Miami late on the 18th.

Be interesting to see if Freedom docks today. Punta Langosta looked like it was ready to go..

Hey Bily, had a great cruise, wish I would have seen you more but it was a huge ship; tough to find everyone. We were told on Monday night by Ken Rush that Grandeur would be docking because she was still having problems with the rudder as well. But you know what, IMO tendering in downtown Coz is WAY BETTER! We went in around 11:00 and it took us barley 10 minutes and we were in downtown. I liked it and have changed my mind, tender it the way to go. That Punta Langosta pier did look good though.;)

Freedom did dock yesterday and Presidente Fox is due to officially re-open Punta Langosta pier today with the Disney docking...

ok Tom, help me. I get the "piers" confused. A) because I have never paid attention when I got off the ship B) I generally was not in any condition to pay attention when I got back on the ship.

What is the name of the docks that had all the shops where Carnival docked?

And if that is not Punta Longosta....where is PL in relation to the old Carnival dock?

And what is the name of the dock that they have been using these past months?

Thanks

Archived