Have questions re:Volendam

Marjeanne

We are scheduled to sail on the Volendam next Wednesday (Alaska)...This is our 12th cruise, our 3rd to Alaska and first on HAL, (5 on X, 3 Princess and 3 on Carnival)...

Actually my question is a two parter..

I was reading a review on the Carnival Spirit by Scott F posted on his 8/6 cruise to Alaska, and in his review he talks about Ketchikan which I was interested in and I quote:

"Here we were docked right in front of the Holland America Volendam which, compared to our ship looked very old and very run down and very tired. I know that HA ships are supposed to be very posh inside, but the outer shell didn't impress me, sadly, nor did the broken glass panes on some of the decks with the temporary plywood covers"...

Can anyone update me on this??? I find this very hard to accept and mentioned it to my DH who got rather upset since he is a true X fan..and of course wanted to cancel...:(

My other question is we purchased a BC guarantee and have been assigned an AA 7085..which is far aft and I believe under the Lido deck..any comments on this stateroom will be gratefully appreciated...

Thanks

Jeanne

I can vouch for the Volendam, I just sailed her for the 3rd time this past February and she is anything but run down. I would think that perhaps Scott F may need glasses. She's a class, spectacular ship with an even better crew onboard. You will enjoy the Volendam, especially the wonderful new beds.

plywood over the windows? rundown exterior? No way!! I suspect Scott F mistook some fishing boat for the beautiful Volendam. In fact, HAL ships are maintained quite well both inside and out.

I can't comment on your particular cabin, but imagine that you'll enjoy that convenient location. I do remember reading, though, that when the Lido Pool area is washed and cleaned that those below can hear some noise as the chairs are put back down.

Have a wonderful journey on the Volendam. Perhaps your husband will become a fan of HAL, too.

Thanks to all for your helpful replies...I knew this board would not let me down... I can hardly wait to enjoy all of the wonderful HAL amenities that I have read about "lurking" on this board...:D

Will give all a review when we return...

thanks again

Jeanne

I was on the cruise to Alaska on the Volendam 8/9/06 - 8/16/06. You cannot compare the outside of the ship with other "larger" ships that have all outside balconies, etc. However, the looks of the Volendam, both outside and inside is understated, and classy. This may differ from those of the Carnival, which may be more "glitzy." I have never cruised Carnival, but have more recently cruised Celebrity (The Century), and Royal Caribbean. I found that the Century is similar to the Volendam, both in size and looks, both beautiful ships. Perhaps the "plywood on the windows" was a reflection of the classy dark woods of the interior! And there was not a stain, smudge, fingerprint, rip, anywhere in the cabin or throughout the ship!

I sailed the Volendam to Alaska in July and found her lovely throughout.

If Scott F saw plywood I am sure it was a temporary fix of a broken window and all is well now.

Go in confidence that you will have a wonderful time.

Archived