A Plea For Dropping The Princess Accronyms

MTJSR

I just don't get it. Cruise Critic is a web site where people can chat about anything related to cruising, at any length. Suddenly, while in the middle of a long verbose tirade about the sewage smell on a ship, the poster may go into short hand and start refering the ship name as CP, TP, PP, AP, OP etc. I guess it is a kind of club speak for those who are in on the lingo but most people who drop by cruise critic, may not know all the call letters. For the sake of easy comfortable understandable reading, could we just call the Sun and Sea the Sun and Sea. Oh and by the way, I have never heard anyone refer to their spouse as "DW" "Dear Wife" or "DH" "Dear Husband" in a real conversation either. :D

I guess it's just natural to abbreviate while using online bulletin boards of any sort. I didn't go on any until late 2004 when I booked my Hawaiian cruise and had questions that my cruise experience didn't cover. So it took me a while to learn some of the abbreviations. If I don't understand one and can't figure it out, I'll just ask. Usually people will let me know the meaning w/o any snideness.

I'm unusual as I'll type out "hubby" instead of dh. That's just me. But like many others, I'll refer to the person starting a thread as OP (original poster).

I knew before going online what LOL meant but it took a while to get ROTFLMAO.:p

I just don't get it. Cruise Critic is a web site where people can chat about anything related to cruising, at any length. Suddenly, while in the middle of a long verbose tirade about the sewage smell on a ship, the poster may go into short hand and start refering the ship name as CP, TP, PP, AP, OP etc. I guess it is a kind of club speak for those who are in on the lingo but most people who drop by cruise critic, may not know all the call letters. For the sake of easy comfortable understandable reading, could we just call the Sun and Sea the Sun and Sea. Oh and by the way, I have never heard anyone refer to their spouse as "DW" "Dear Wife" or "DH" "Dear Husband" in a real conversation either. :D

It took me awhile to understand the abbreviations. How about MIL (mother-in-law):p

Actually, many people will use Sea, Sun, Star for those ships. Its just a few letters. But for Caribbean (CB) and Tahitian (TP) its a lot of letters that is just easier to use the acronym. Up to about 5 letters you will often get the actual name, over that, it tends to be abbreviated. AP is techinically the code for the Grand, but I never see anyone using that.

As mentioned above, OP is not a ship code, it stands for Original Post(er) and is common on most bulletin boards. And PP is not a ship codes, nor do I know what else they might mean (well AP is Associated Press, but I doubt that is what you meant). There are many sites where you can translate common acronyms or look up lists. Asking boards and chat rooms not to use acronyms, however, is well, lets just say that door has been open WAYYYYY to long to try and close it now.

Lastly, the ship codes are designated by Princess, and you will find updated lists of them in the Sticky Thread at the top of the first page.

Well...You have never been around me...I say my DH...aaaalllll the time...Sometimes people just look at me like I am nuts...Those that know us well,know that thats his initials...So they just think I am being silly...Only one or 2 people actually know I have slipped into Cruise Critic Speak :p

I'm only wondering if MTJSR is really MTJ, Sr. You haven't spent a lot of time chatting online, eh? If you'd ever stood behind a teenager in AOL chat, you'd see acronyms and spellings that are a huge stretch of the imagination. ;) I guess the shorthand and acronyms just help us to communicate faster and are helpful for those who aren't the world's fastest keyboarders.

I knew before going online what LOL meant but it took a while to get ROTFLMAO.

My personal favorite is ROFLWBSOMN!!! (Rolling on floor laughing with beer spurting out my nose!) :) :D :)

When I first discovered cruisecritic, I was too shy to ask about many of the abbreviations, so I did a lot of guessing at first; some waaayyyy wrong, and then gradually started catching on. It helped immensely when someone else would ask for clarification....I admired those brave souls. :D I guess I don't mind too much now....I think of it as brain areobics!

Sheri

I guess the shorthand and acronyms just help us to communicate faster and are helpful for those who aren't the world's fastest keyboarders.

Forget that, the acronyms allow me to finish a message while I'm at work ;) when I don't have much time to type.

My personal favorite is ROFLWBSOMN!!! (Rolling on floor laughing with beer spurting out my nose!) :) :D :)

Sheri

:p :D Good one!!! LOL!!!

Sometimes I have to read someone's post with S-I-L to get whether it's son in law or sister in law.

I use "girl" to refer to my daughter. But both my hubby and I do refer to her as "girl" in real life.

As mentioned above, OP is not a ship code, it stands for Original Post(er) and is common on most bulletin boards. And PP is not a ship code

To throw so more Juice in this thread:

OP = Ocean Princess (now Oceana) when she was with Princess. Sun Class vessel.

PP = Original Pacific Princess

There are heaps more, Sky Princess and so on and so on!

I'm only wondering if MTJSR is really MTJ, Sr. You haven't spent a lot of time chatting online, eh? If you'd ever stood behind a teenager in AOL chat, you'd see acronyms and spellings that are a huge stretch of the imagination. ;) I guess the shorthand and acronyms just help us to communicate faster and are helpful for those who aren't the world's fastest keyboarders.

Oh, Joyce, it's wwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than you think.

Some of them actually WRITE like that, even when they know that they will be handing the work in to a teacher!

It's no wonder that they can't spell any more..................:rolleyes:

R U rdg ths?

I belong to SPIT

Society for the Prevention of initialed Titles

Hey can I join?

Acronyms that can be easily guessed are tolerable, but some of the Princess abbreviations are just too unfathomable to make any sense at all, and I really don't want to have to search for answers since I never have much luck getting cruisecritic search to work very well:D .

For the OP, you've been posting and reading these boards for a while. It might be confusing, but I think you are getting close to picking up the lingo. And you did the right thing by asking questions when you don't understand. I, too, had a learning curve, and still at times am confused by an abreviation. Derf often fixes that for many of us. If you want to expand your learning curve, find a F-Deck thread over at Carnival and join the ETDC!:D

The CB is the Caribbean Princess.

The list (Princess made these up, not me):

CB - Caribbean Princess

CO - Coral Princess

CP - Sea Princess

DI - Diamond Princess

NP - Golden Princess

AP - Grand Princess

SA - Sapphire Princess

TP - Star Princess

DP - Dawn Princess

IP - Island Princess

SP - Sun Princess

PA - Pacific Princess

GP - Regal Princess

RP - Royal Princess

TA - Tahitian Princess

With all do respect to everyone who is a long-time cruiser and who knows all the abbreviations, as someone who is new to cruising, I think that the abbreviations are confusing. Although I understand time constraints in typing, it can be hard for those new cruisers who are coming on here to find out new information. That said, I still want to thank you to all of you who have given me so much information over the past year, and I'll continue to try to figure out what CB means LOL

Archived