Holland America cruise

holycowv8

My husband and I are going on a cruise in the first week of December. Does anyone know what the weather is like. I would also like to know some information about cruises. We have never been on one. Is there dress codes for dining. Please help with any information you can give us. We are also planning on taking some of the excurions off the ship in Belize, Guatamala, and Key West. Anyone done any of these. I know I don't know anything, but would like info on anything! Thanks

Don and Sue:)

If you go to Holland Americas site and enter your booking # the will tell you everything you need to know. You can also read through these treads of the people who have traveled Hal before they're very enlightening.

You can also book shore excursions through the site and it gives full details of all the ones offered.

There are 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise and I think 3 on 11 day. The rest is casual. As for the weather It should be hot but bring some warm clothing as I find the air conditioning a bit strong and it's windy sometimes at night on deck.

Have a good trip.

My husband and I are going on a cruise in the first week of December. Does anyone know what the weather is like. I would also like to know some information about cruises. We have never been on one. Is there dress codes for dining. Please help with any information you can give us. We are also planning on taking some of the excurions off the ship in Belize, Guatamala, and Key West. Anyone done any of these. I know I don't know anything, but would like info on anything! Thanks

Don and Sue:)

The temperatures will be very temperate ranging from the mid seventied to the nineties. There will be the inevitable rain shower and occasional thunderstorm, but nohting to worry about.

Each of the countries you visit will have a visitor's web site which includes wether forecasts and often averge temps.

You can best begin informing yourself about your cruise by visiting both the cruise line's web site, start with the section labeled "For Booked Guests", and the Ports Of Call message boards on this web site.

The cruise line posts up on board experiences and rules you'll encounter during your cruise.

You've selected an excellent line for your first cruise. Enjoy your trip:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

holycowv8,

Welcome to cruising, welcome to Holland America, and welcome to the HAL CC board! Please, don't let anyone frighten you off. You've chosen a wonderful vacation!

My husband and I are going on a cruise in the first week of December. Does anyone know what the weather is like.

Weather, of course, can vary, however when I've cruised the Caribbean in December (early December) it's been VERY lovely. The weather is nice and warm and the seas are very kind. At least, that was my experience.

I would also like to know some information about cruises. We have never been on one. Is there dress codes for dining. Please help with any information you can give us.

There is a dress code on HAL: Formal, Informal, and Casual. Details for each can be found in the "Know Before You Go" booklet that will come with your cruise documents, or you can read about it on HAL's website. Clickable links for the appropriate areas on HAL's website are found in responses above.

If you'd like to view photos and read some reviews of some of the cruises I've taken, you're more than welcome to do so by going here:

http://www.revneal.org/cruiselinks.html

Here you will find links to photos sets and reviews of some of the cruises I have taken. Some of your questions -- particularly those regarding the "feel" of a cruise ship and the kinds of things available to do aboard -- can be found addressed in these photos and the written reviews.

Also, follow the advice of those who have posted on this board. There is much wisdom here from people who have cruised for years.

And have a GREAT cruise!

great advice from everyone! "Summer clothing" is appropriate, with a light jacket for possible cooler evenings due to sea breeze. Two formal nights for dinner...which are a lot of fun. dinner other nights are just nice "resort wear" type clothing. Shore excursion dress depends on shore excursion. Have found that most folks are very casual on the islands...shorts and T...usually with swimsuit underneath...regardless of age!

The Keys are something else. It reminds me of the movie Moulan Rouge. Way out there! Anticipate quite a show at the dock right before sailing out of port. Street entertainers...and wall-to-wall people. If you like shopping, the Keys are fun due to the interesting artistic shops near the pier. And if you like history....there's plenty to see. Would suggest walking through some of the "off-streets" to get a real feel for the Keys...you'll see chickens running all over, etc. Near the port is a heavy "party/drinking" atmosphere.

Belize is beautiful...but very depressed. if you are into snorkeling...it's a MUST DO!!! the reef in Belize is awesome and some of the best we have ever encoutered. would strongly suggest only doing a cruise-sponsored excursion in Belize. On our last cruise, our chat board organized a school supply drive for the schools in Belize. We took numerous boxes of supplies to the schools and they were very appreciative. There's relatively nothing at the port in Belize...so either do a cruise excursion or stay on the ship.

Even though we have cruised a lot, we still try to make the mandatory life-station drill (prior to leaving port) fun. take your camera/video recorder. capture the moment. it happens on every cruise and is part of the experience. if it's your first time, sleep out on your balcony for part of the night some night just to hear the lapping of the waves and feel the breeze. if you don't have a balcony...then park on one of the lounges on deck. make certain you go to the entertainment after dinner...especially the cruise-employee event (it's one of the best!!!). and get to know your fellow passengers. we have made life-long friends with folks from around the world on cruises. don't be shy about introducing yourself and getting to know people. Have a great time!

Cass

holycowv8 -

If you're lurking on this board please let us know if you are on the Veendam Dec 9 (Key West, Belize, Guatemala and Costa Maya). Check the Roll Call boards for this sailing. We have a Cruise Critic Meet and Greet scheduled for the first sea day and we'd love to have you join us. Let's hear from you.

Marsha

Archived