Please help! fall colors-is it too cold?

cruzrmomma

Deciding between 9/28 or 10/14 departure for 2007. I am really worried about freezing, but I was hoping the colors would be out in October. ugh!

Is it cold and rainy late Oct? Is there much difference early Oct. vs. late? Would appreciate anyone's experience. Thanks

Hi cruzrmomma,

We have been on a couple and will be on another New England/Canada cruise on October 7th. We have lucked out and had good weather each time. We have gone between end of Sept and middle of October. Colors have been decent each time.

Of course, you can't predict Mother Nature. You will have to choose and hope like the rest of us. Wish I could tell you more.

Good Luck with whatever cruise you decide.

Ed

I know up here (midcoast Maine) the leaves are already starting to change, i think the oct. 14th date would be to late, looking at our lawn right now it needs to raked because of the leaves that have already fallen.

The weather is really hard to predict, it was cold and rainy this AM but now its just partly cloudy and the last few days had been really nice, close to 80's but it was unusually warm they said. And supposed to get chillier the next couple of days.

You can tell a real Maine person, they will have shorts on but will carry a sweatshirt, sweater or light jacket cause it can turn chilly quick. This is my favorite time of year, sweater weather.

If it were me i would go with end of September date instead of middle of Oct. but, thats just me.

My dad and a friend of the family have a bet every year, wether it will snow before Oct 31st or not, he usually wins and hes the one with the "it will snow before". Not usually alot and certainly doesnt stay but its neat to see the first few flakes each year. And i keep hearing we are going to have one heck of a winter for lots of snow :(

Aunu - Hopefully it will wait to snow until after the end of October as we leave here on 10/27 and I would hate not to be able to get out of the state!

This year fall is very early, --- usually Columbus Day weekend is prime time (10/9), but this year the leave are changing very quickly. This year I would go with the 9/28 departure. Have a wonderful time.

I think I have finally put my shorts away for the year (maybe), and I have put a zip up sweatshirt back in the car -- been looking at the sweatshirts - now it really seems odd to think about packing shorts and swimsuits for our cruise. Jan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, another New Englander checking in. I'm in New Hampshire. The leaves are starting to change and coming on fast and the nights are quite cool...low 40's, high 30's. We expect a frost quite soon.

We took a NE cruise a few years ago in mid to late October. We had a wonderful time but the weather was quite cool (the North Atlantic can be cold) and most of the leaves were down. We had lots of wind and rain, too.

I think mid October is late for a NE cruise, particularly as you go into Canada. However, if you are like us and know NE and Canada well and are looking for a nice cruise experience then you will be fine. I know that our cruisng on the St. Larwence was awesome, cold but worth it. And we arrived in Quebec City at night. It was very cold, but the lights of the city and the Hotel Frotenac at night was worth the every penny of the cruise.

Go with a positive attitude and wear lots of layers!

• 2 months later...

I went to New England/Canada cruise on Celebrity Constellation on 9/24-10/5/06. A lot of folks on this board said it was too early for much color. Boy were they wrong. Didn't have much color in New York, or Boston, but when we hit Maine there was some, on to New Brunswick a little more, Halifax quite a bit, Quebec and the Saguenay River were out in all their glory. They couldn't have given us a more magnificent show. Unfortunately it rained in Quebec, but we still loved it and got tons of beautiful photos. I bought some postcards illustrating the optimum fall foliage, and my photos are a little hazy because of the pouring down rain, but you can tell, the fall colors are there. I'm from Michigan, so I'm no stranger to fall colors, but I'm still amazed when I see a hillside so full of nature's beatiful colors. Although it was a little chilly out on the balcony when the ship was cruising at 20 knots.:D

We were on the Constellation Oct. 5th-16th cruise and while there was little color in Boston there was plenty in Bar harbor, Portland and Halifax. We had fantastic weather. In Boston it was close to 80, and the seventies in Bar Harbor, halfaix and Portland Me. Now in Quebec it was a little rainy, very cold, but put on a jacket, took and umbrella and off we went. The color at Quebec was fantastic. But of course each year is so different but that is whawt we experienced.

marilyn

Archived