onboard liquor summary

m steve

My point is that Royal Carribean/Celebrity does not act responsibly towards it passengers so it policies should not be "honored" unless they relate to safety or the enjoyment of other passengers. Clearly, the alcohol policies do neither.

While I certainly am in agreement with the policy being ridiculous, I think we all need to acknowledge the fact that X may enforce the policy as they see fit. It is not up to the passenger to determine whether a policy is appropriate or not.

While I certainly am in agreement with the policy being ridiculous, I think we all to acknowledge the fact that X may enforce the policy as they see fit. It is not up to the passenger to determine whether a policy is appropriate or not.

and that is what I have been saying: very few will boycott them because of the policy as other lines are enforcing the same: It will make little impact on their business, we can rant and rave all we want, but the policy is just that. I certainly don't like it, I too want a drink in my cabin and no, we don't want to pay $60 or more for a bottle, but there really is very little anyone can do about it. This is not a moral issue or a civil rights issue with thousands of people backing up those who want to protest: it is a simple matter of what a business has chosen to do. Again, I think most everyone on this board has gotten the wrong impression about me: NO, I hate it: It won't stop me from cruising a particular line and no, I will not go against the policy as happens to be something I do not approve of. I do understand everyone being upset. NMNita

I think the policy is more akin to a movie theater not allowing you to bring your own drinks and popcorn into the theater. Movie theaters make more money off their snacks than ticket sales in most areas of the country. They count on that revenue which accounts for a majority of their profits. I think the same is true of alcohol on cruiseships as well as restaurants. Looking at some of the prices on certain cabins on Celebrity ships, I would suspect many cruisers might pay less money for their rooms than their bar bills by the end of a trip. Cruise lines are businesses, and as much as we'd all like to think our room stewards and butlers care so deeply about us as people (I know they make us feel that way, and it's appreciated), they are motivated to stay upbeat and interested by the extra tips they are hoping to receive as a result of going above and beyond. Nothing wrong with that - it's business. Celebrity has a duty to its stockholders to operate as a profitable (hopefully) business - and to provide consumers a promised service. I think tying the alcohol policy to public safety is a crock, but the alcohol policy is theirs to make, and ours to accept by signing our cruise contracts. We are free to choose another ship/cruiseline at any time - that is our "right." I want to bring my own wine aboard - and will TRY to follow the advice I've gleened from these boards to do so, but within the rules (albeit confusing.) Their policy allows them to project profits/losses in a more accurate way - and without a "policy" to fall back on in the event they do start to apply it consistently, the BYOB crowd could grow and grow to a point of seriously impacting the bottom line.

HI CAVIAR...I beg to differ...if a policy is ridiculous then it is up to the pax to say so. I feel like having a petition signed by pax, on each cruise, demanding their privacy be respected. This thing should be exposed for what it really is...CORPORATE GREED.

HI BETTY4...The thing to worry about is if the next time you check into a Hilton Hotel they are going to confiscate your champagne because they heard that Celebrity is doing it and getting away with it!!! IT IS NONE OF X's BUSINESS what I am doing in my cabin...as long as I am not disturbing anyone else. You have a right to your privacy while in the cabin...just as you would in a hotel.

I am a huge advocate of privacy rights, believe me. But I think there is a disconnect in the points being made here. Is it the fact that passengers are drinking in the privacy of their own cabins (no problem with that), or the fact that a passenger broke a rule they agreed to accept upon contracting with the cruise line (I personally do not care, but it IS a moral/character issue one can deal with on one's own in addition to a purposeful violation of the terms of a contract). Regardless of WHY the policy was established ($$), it is the accepted policy by virtue of the fact that the passenger bought a ticket. A passenger basically agrees to buy their liquor from the cruiseline, but by bringing their own on board, really have no intention of following through with that promise. Call it greed, call it immoral, call it what you will, but not allowing a passenger to bring alcohol into their stateroom for personal consumption is NOT a violation of any privacy right that I know of. Now if an officer knocks on your door and asks to search your room for alcohol, that's a privacy issue. If your bags are searched for security reasons, and they find alcohol, it is my understanding that they will either let you bring it aboard and turn a blind eye, take it and hold it for you until you return, throw it away, or allow you to put it back in your car. As for any slippery slope concerns with regard to hotels, I think there is a big difference there -- hotels aren't modes of transportation and don't "move" from country to country - therefore, no bag searches there (yet).

If it's a bad policy, maybe consumers will cause it to be changed via spending their hard earned $$$ on vacations outside of the cruise industry. That the cruiselines will understand! Petitions? Don't waste your time (have a drink instead!)

PS - I am frankly more worried about people smuggling in irons for their personal use. Now there's a "safety" issue. How does one explain that it was the first time they forgot to unplug their iron?

HI CAVIAR...I beg to differ...if a policy is ridiculous then it is up to the pax to say so. I feel like having a petition signed by pax, on each cruise, demanding their privacy be respected. This thing should be exposed for what it really is...CORPORATE GREED.

I do not disagree that it is ridiculous and would love to participate in a fax/email campaign to have it changed.

I have already appealed in writing to my District Manager for X (she is ineffective so I got nothing out of that) and also to Hanrahan.

However, how can it be considered a privacy issue if X is allowed to search bags and find contraband? Whether it is alcohol or another forbidden substance it is within X's rights to determine what they allow brought onboard their vessels.

I agree that is greed but do not agree that, if I choose to disobey their policy and am caught in the act, I should be allowed to get away with it.

I am a huge advocate of privacy rights, believe me. But I think there is a disconnect in the points being made here. Is it the fact that passengers are drinking in the privacy of their own cabins (no problem with that), or the fact that a passenger broke a rule they agreed to accept upon contracting with the cruise line (I personally do not care, but it IS a moral/character issue one can deal with on one's own in addition to a purposeful violation of the terms of a contract). Regardless of WHY the policy was established ($$), it is the accepted policy by virtue of the fact that the passenger bought a ticket. A passenger basically agrees to buy their liquor from the cruiseline, but by bringing their own on board, really have no intention of following through with that promise. Call it greed, call it immoral, call it what you will, but not allowing a passenger to bring alcohol into their stateroom for personal consumption is NOT a violation of any privacy right that I know of. Now if an officer knocks on your door and asks to search your room for alcohol, that's a privacy issue. If your bags are searched for security reasons, and they find alcohol, it is my understanding that they will either let you bring it aboard and turn a blind eye, take it and hold it for you until you return, throw it away, or allow you to put it back in your car. As for any slippery slope concerns with regard to hotels, I think there is a big difference there -- hotels aren't modes of transportation and don't "move" from country to country - therefore, no bag searches there (yet).

If it's a bad policy, maybe consumers will cause it to be changed via spending their hard earned $$$ on vacations outside of the cruise industry. That the cruiselines will understand! Petitions? Don't waste your time (have a drink instead!)

PS - I am frankly more worried about people smuggling in irons for their personal use. Now there's a "safety" issue. How does one explain that it was the first time they forgot to unplug their iron?

How does a person deal with this when they booked a Celebrity cruise BEFORE the rules for alcohol changed and when they were allowed to bring wine on board?

How does a person deal with this when they booked a Celebrity cruise BEFORE the rules for alcohol changed and when they were allowed to bring wine on board?

This pig will not fly:) as they have a right to change policies as they see fit.

If you are not in penalty perhaps you could change? I would have myself for November if other items could be refunded (airfare, site fees).

I booked my wedding cruise on X and with the wine changes stand to spend significantly more than budgeted. My emails to X management have not generated a response as of yet and I doubt they will.

Just act like you never were notified of the change. They will not want to antagonize a whole wedding party of future cruisers by stopping you from bringing wine on board. They will still get the corkage.

Not my style, Steve. I am a TA and Elite on X. I prefer to be above board.

They frankly could care less about my business or anyone elses IMO. I am a drop in the bucket to X or any other cruise line.

Perhaps when enough of us move on to other lines they will sit up and take notice.

Perhaps when enough of us move on to other lines they will sit up and take notice.

What other line? This is the stated policy on all the mainstream cruise lines.

I just finished reading this entire thread to my 93 yr. old father who is a retired comptroler for Statler then Hilton hotels. He said, "We always knew that our profit margin lay in the bar reciepts. We basically gave the rooms away so that the guest would buy our booze. Trust me, as soon as the hotel industry can convince everyone that they too need to x-ray a guest's luggage, in the interest of security, they will start trying to institute the same alchohol policy. The problem right now is that there are too many hotel rooms but, if it can be done it will be".

What other line? This is the stated policy on all the mainstream cruise lines.

I just finished reading this entire thread to my 93 yr. old father who is a retired comptroler for Statler then Hilton hotels. He said, "We always knew that our profit margin lay in the bar reciepts. We basically gave the rooms away so that the guest would buy our booze. Trust me, as soon as the hotel industry can convince everyone that they too need to x-ray a guest's luggage, in the interest of security, they will start trying to institute the same alchohol policy. The problem right now is that there are too many hotel rooms but, if it can be done it will be".

AGain, hello to you in Wheeling: you are right about the other lines: NCL really cracks down, HAL may or may not, but their loyal passengers think anyone who would even think of bringing booze on is the skum of the earth: Carnival actually talked about disallowing soda (they did not carry throug, or haven't yet) like it or not; all will follow soon. NMnita

Hi to you Nita. And, do you think that soon all the lines will start upping the price to "whatever the traffic will bear" on their bar set-ups? DH and I love to cruise and, we love a drink in our cabin while we are dressing for dinner but, fear that soon it will just be too costly so we will have to stick to land based vacations. See, our problem is that we long ago gave up on the 7 day Caribbean, party hearty, cruises. Now we look for longer and more varied itineraries and we want to be treated like the adults we are, and not the 20's-30's repressed adolescences who don't stop buying booze from the minute they step on the ship until the bar closes on the last night. I realize that the cruise lines make a bundle from these people and I don't begrudge them a dime of it (A fool and his money are soon parted). But, I am not that big a fool and, while we spend our fair share on-board at the bars and from the wine steward, I want to be treated fairly as well. Sell me "my favorite poison" at a fair mark up and I will not complain. Try to pick my pocket and I will get away from you fast!!

Now I think I will go a look at a few land based resort brochures that I have laying around here.

Hi to you Nita. And, do you think that soon all the lines will start upping the price to "whatever the traffic will bear" on their bar set-ups? DH and I love to cruise and, we love a drink in our cabin while we are dressing for dinner but, fear that soon it will just be too costly so we will have to stick to land based vacations. See, our problem is that we long ago gave up on the 7 day Caribbean, party hearty, cruises. Now we look for longer and more varied itineraries and we want to be treated like the adults we are, and not the 20's-30's repressed adolescences who don't stop buying booze from the minute they step on the ship until the bar closes on the last night. I realize that the cruise lines make a bundle from these people and I don't begrudge them a dime of it (A fool and his money are soon parted). But, I am not that big a fool and, while we spend our fair share on-board at the bars and from the wine steward, I want to be treated fairly as well. Sell me "my favorite poison" at a fair mark up and I will not complain. Try to pick my pocket and I will get away from you fast!!

Now I think I will go a look at a few land based resort brochures that I have laying around here.

you know what? I agree; DH and I have been talking about this: what to do? We will not smuggle booze on the ship (we did many times in the past, but no more) we like to have a drink or two every night in our cabin and we hate the prices of liquor period on the ships, especially since Celebrity have uped the bar set up to an outrageous price. I said yesterday, if I wasn't a cruise specailist I might just start doing land vactions. I think those of us who dislike the changes the most are those who spend the most on booze period. Those who drink a little nip here and there, maybe a glass of wine with dinner or a fru fru drink by the pool could care less about all this. Again, my point is, the cruise lines will not bend for us cause they are all going to put the same policies into affect in the next year or so, if not sooner. Now, I was always told from my husbands family: people in WV don't drink; they all go to church every day of the week and live on farms. LOL

If the cruise lines are changing policies and/or enforcement efforts based on the airline security changes, perhaps things will also relax following the coming rescinding of the "anti-liquid" rules for airplanes. Some changes are already planned to allow small amounts. We have a few months yet:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/politics/4214060.html

Although I realize there may be other motivations, I don't think Celebrity will risk alienating the typical family wishing to bring a few bottles of wine or specialty liqour aboard. If discretion is use, I'd be shocked at rigorous enforcement.

I certainly hope this does not happen, as I made final payment on our party of five last week, and it hurt enough that I feel that Celebrity's margins are firmly intact ;-) I plan to bring a few bottles of wine from a cousin's vinyard for the holidays. Celebrity has never heard of this wine, and never will offer it.

Will we still spend money on board for drinks? Uh, let me think....yes. A significant amount, I'd guess, on a 14-night cruise.

Johncn

I'll bring my booze in my luggage for drinks in the cabin and I'll buy your booze for drinks everywhere else on the ship. Take it or lose me as a passenger. Giving the cruise line $500 in wine and bar bills is enough!

Next they won't let you off the ship unless you buy your land excursion thru the cruise line. This is for your safety as they can't be responsible for you if you book your own tour and you might not return on time. And you can only shop at their approved stores. All they have to do is make it a policy and the sheep will come running and condemn the rest of us.

It truly does come down to money. I don't beleive for a moment that the ban on bringing your own booze on onboard is for the safety of the PAX and to curb underage drinking. It's solely for having to pay $6 for a drink and $10 for a martini. If they start taking the bottles out of ymy checked luggage, I would definitly take my cruising dollars elsewhere.

I was on a Western cruise on Century last January and someone a few cabins away was smoking so much pot, it was nausiating. It was like walking through a cloud of smoke. I complained about it nonstop ( at least 7 times) and Security did NOTHING. They told me they could not arbitraily go into cabins to look for these things, so if they take my legal bottle while boarding, and do nothing about illegal drugs, it will be the last time aboard X for me.

As Ross says.."Full Greed Ahead!!"

Hi Ross..PUNA PUNA!!

Jeff

Nita--NO DRINKING????? This is the state that perfected the art of the "private stil" out in the woods!!!

Well those aren't hubby's relatives: the ones that drink left WV for Az and places west....I couldn't resist sticking that in cause hubby's family (his moms side) were strict T totalers, most of them. He still has a cousin, a little olden than us who thinks that anyone who even uses wine for cooking should be burned at the stake. There is another one who raised He## when the high school allowed Catcher in the Rye to be carried in the library. This side of the family don't cruise either I may add. NMNita

THANK YOU...THEDUFFYS...for bringing common sense to this forum.:)

PUNA PUNA JEFF!!! You are soooooooooo right!!!:D

Well...if almost everyone feels that somehow we are getting the short end of the stick...then it is time to organize and protest. The question is...how do we do it??? I think I recall a body of laws that were passed in the 1800's and some of the laws had to do with the use and enjoyment of the cabin onboard a ship. This will need some research.

Archived